Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #1

K-3 just locked up while shooting???

It froze in mid shot. I think the shutter is still open. I can't even turn it off. I was taking pictures in the snow and it got a little wet. Just drops off snow on it.
I cant look through the view finder.
What happened?

01-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you removed the battery? It sounds like the cold depleted the battery and mid-shot was where it happened to be.

What lens were you using?
01-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
can i remove the battery while it is frozen? will the shutter close?
The battery showed one bar when I started and still shows one bar. But it was pretty cold.
01-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cold weather and low battery might explain why this happened. Remove the battery as twilhelm suggested and you should be fine.

01-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks.
I feel relieved.
01-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Battery indicators on any camera aren’t exact science. Shooting conditions and camera settings can make a partially charged battery act as a dead one, especially in cold weather.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
01-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
mee
Pentaxian

If the camera itself is wet or cold and you're inside now, I wouldn't open the battery bay and definitely wouldn't put a new battery in right now. Let the camera acclimate and dry first then retry with a fresh battery would be my recommendation.
01-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If the camera itself is wet or cold and you're inside now, I wouldn't open the battery bay and definitely wouldn't put a new battery in right now. Let the camera acclimate and dry first then retry with a fresh battery would be my recommendation.
+1. Mee stated a very important point. Wait for the camera to be 100% dry and at ambient room temperature before inserting any new battery.

01-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

When coming in from cold conditions, I do not even take my camera out of the bag or holster case until it sits for a while. Then I loosen the zippers, open the flap slightly and let it sit a while longer. No use taking a chance of condensation forming within the lens or camera body.
01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
It sat inside the bag for about an hour before I removed the battery.
01-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElwoodP Quote
The battery showed one bar when I started and still shows one bar.
I have the same problem a few times.
I have soot in heavy rain, typhoon type of wind and rain. If it is moisture, you will see another symptom too. The autofocus likely stops working and or you can visibly see internal condensation built up either on the viewfinder or on a photo you take, but the shutter will keep working. K3 is a mini tank. It will keep going.

I would say it is likely a battery problem. When it happens, remove the battery, put a new one and restart the camera.
I recommend keeping an eye on the battery. If it happens again with the same battery, don't keep using it. just get a new battery. At first, it was very random in my case. but when it happens, it is always with the same battery.

The genuine battery cames with my K-3 cause the problem when the power shows about one bar. Sometimes, I would say a weak 2 bar.
My K-5 battery which is older but never causes a problem. I can use until the battery icon turns red. It took me a while to find out that it was a battery problem.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 01-12-2019 at 06:02 PM.
6 Days Ago   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I have the same problem a few times.
I have soot in heavy rain, typhoon type of wind and rain. If it is moisture, you will see another symptom too. The autofocus likely stops working and or you can visibly see internal condensation built up either on the viewfinder or on a photo you take, but the shutter will keep working. K3 is a mini tank. It will keep going.

I would say it is likely a battery problem. When it happens, remove the battery, put a new one and restart the camera.
I recommend keeping an eye on the battery. If it happens again with the same battery, don't keep using it. just get a new battery. At first, it was very random in my case. but when it happens, it is always with the same battery.

The genuine battery cames with my K-3 cause the problem when the power shows about one bar. Sometimes, I would say a weak 2 bar.
My K-5 battery which is older but never causes a problem. I can use until the battery icon turns red. It took me a while to find out that it was a battery problem.

Is there an aftermarket battery that is better than the rest?
6 Days Ago   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax batteries are the best. But Iíve had very good luck with the Wasabi branded ones.
3 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not that I know. I only have pentax brand.