Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Humidity in my Sensor

Hi folks,

Sorry if this post does not belong here,

Recently I bought a FF camera, but not a Pentax unlike my other ones. I decided myself to give a try to FF by buying cheap, and got a Canon 5D MK-I.
Where I live there's humidity but it never affected my K5 nor my K3, nor any lens and thought that the Canon will be as hard as my Pentax.

Oh boy if I was mistaken. I've used it once to photoshoot a friend of mine and when I came back home left the camera in a table. My big surprise came when I checked it because I've found some dust in some images randomly and it had two big dots of humidity in the sensor.

Since then (weeks or even months ago) I tried to attach a silica box in the camera closing it with the front cover but nothing happened. The seller told me that maybe I could scratch the sensor to take out one of the covers but I do not like the idea and anyways I do have no idea how to do that.

Did that ever happened to you? And if so, can you tell me how the h*ll did you solved the problem?

Thank you very much! Its very annoying having a new toy to play with and not being able to ever use it :S

5 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds more like there was something more than humidity if it left something behind on your sensor - water drop maybe? Humidity would completely evaporate eventually.. however - no fear! If it's water marks or dust or whatever - just get it cleaned!

Buy a sensor swap cleaning kit and do it yourself!

Just a random example from the You of Tubes:
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last night I was reading about sensor temperature and mirrorless cameras, so my suggestion is to use live view or bulb mode to increase the sensor temperature and drive the moisture off.
5 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Sounds more like there was something more than humidity if it left something behind on your sensor - water drop maybe? Humidity would completely evaporate eventually.. however - no fear! If it's water marks or dust or whatever - just get it cleaned!

Buy a sensor swap cleaning kit and do it yourself!

Just a random example from the You of Tubes:
Canon 5D sensor cleaning Vswab MXD-100 from Visibledust - YouTube
Thanks but I do have a cleaning pack and I use to clean my sensors. When I say its humidity, sorry to say, I mean humidity mate.
No water, no dust, no nothing you can easily clean with a clean kit as the eyelead I have.

yeah, humidity will leave in like 5-6 months but then...... I wanna use my camera now xD

Anyways thanks for your help

---------- Post added 01-14-19 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Last night I was reading about sensor temperature and mirrorless cameras, so my suggestion is to use live view or bulb mode to increase the sensor temperature and drive the moisture off.

Thank you Dave, that I did not thought about and makes sense.

5 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Face your open camera face downwards (maybe set it on a bag of dessicant), as the humid air is heavier and will fall down and out of your camera. If you keep the sensor area sealed when trying to rid it of humidity, the humid air will just stay around and condense elsewhere when the camera cools.
5 Days Ago   #6

or see whether you can get the camera into a vacuum chamber (people who repair diving watches may have one), the lower pressure will make the water evaporate sooner; add plenty of silica gel to absorb the water vapour.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised that the condensation hasn't dried in months. Perhaps put the body in a sealed plastic container with lots of desiccant. Crystal Kitty Litter works well as does instant white rice. I'd remove the lens and wrap the camera in a sheet of newsprint to avoid dust intrusion.
1 Day Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all, great ideas and i'll try to apply them!
Hopefully we'll save that old ladie