Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #1

Second hand k30

I have bought a second hand k30 for 10 euros. It seems to be working but it does some odd things. I have bought an old Porst lens and set most settings to manual (ring aperture, green button etc) but it makes some weird infrared pics some times. Like mainly yellow and sometimes tge brightest point will flash red or black. But they flash.
Do I have any settings on that I am not aware off?

Attached Images

01-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you upload the actual picture with the EXIF intact. It would help us try to diagnose what may be happening.

And welcome to the forum!
01-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #3

You have the display playback set to show overexposed (red) and underexposed (yellow) areas where image detail is being lost.

The example above even at ISO 400 a shutter speed of 1/2500 would require a very bright scene. My guess is the shot is way underexposed.

What lens are you using and what mount?
01-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps Pentax aperture block failure, might also be the reason you got it so cheap....

01-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Estellarosa Quote
I have bought a second hand k30 for 10 euros. It seems to be working but it does some odd things. I have bought an old Porst lens and set most settings to manual (ring aperture, green button etc) but it makes some weird infrared pics some times. Like mainly yellow and sometimes tge brightest point will flash red or black. But they flash.
Do I have any settings on that I am not aware off?
The yellow/red is just a feature to help identify under/overexposed areas. It can be disabled via the playback and live view menus.

See this thread for info on how to check if your camera has the aperture problem:
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never heard of a Porst lens. It is best to acquire a lens that is fully compatible with a modern Pentax DSLR, that is most auto-focus (AF) lenses, which will allow full functions of your K-30 to be available. There are some which are very reasonable in cost. This way, you will not only have better functionality, but also better know what the capabilities of you camera really are.

Also, download the owner's manual for this camera, if one was not provided. Reset the camera to factory standard and go from there.
01-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #7

Porst for Pentax are either M42 or K-mount (non-A). Ether should work fine in manual mode with green button metering even on a K-30/50 with a failing control block.

Porst lenses were made mostly by Cosina but other makers include Balda, Franka, Fuji, Mamiya, Taron, and Yashica.
Porst | Camerapedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

They offered a 55mm f/1.2 lens in K-mount.
Porst 55mm F1.2 Color Reflex MC Auto Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

01-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF, Estellarosa.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I never heard of a Porst lens.
Seem to be quite a few, some highly rated by PF members: porst Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
It is best to acquire a lens that is fully compatible with a modern Pentax DSLR, that is most auto-focus (AF) lenses, which will allow full functions of your K-30 to be available. There are some which are very reasonable in cost. This way, you will not only have better functionality, but also better know what the capabilities of you camera really are.
A DA 18-55 starts from about 40 euros on ebay nl: pentax da in Lenzen en objectieven | eBay
Or for a prime with autofocus, try the DA 35 f2.4: e.g. Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 SMC AL Lens | eBay
Also, download the owner's manual for this camera, if one was not provided. Reset the camera to factory standard and go from there.
Good tip. Download here: PENTAX K-30 - Downloads - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

And in case you haven't seen this already, essential reading for using manual-aperture lenses on Pentax DSLR cameras: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-m...-k-30-etc.html

Last edited by Des; 01-17-2019 at 02:46 AM.
01-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Can you upload the actual picture with the EXIF intact. It would help us try to diagnose what may be happening.

And welcome to the forum!
Strangely enough it hasn't stored that picture!
01-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You have the display playback set to show overexposed (red) and underexposed (yellow) areas where image detail is being lost.

The example above even at ISO 400 a shutter speed of 1/2500 would require a very bright scene. My guess is the shot is way underexposed.

What lens are you using and what mount?
Porst 135mm on k mount
01-17-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to PF, Estellarosa.

Seem to be quite a few, some highly rated by PF members: porst Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

A DA 18-55 starts from about 40 euros on ebay nl: pentax da in Lenzen en objectieven | eBay
Or for a prime with autofocus, try the DA 35 f2.4: e.g. Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 SMC AL Lens | eBay

Good tip. Download here: PENTAX K-30 - Downloads - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

And in case you haven't seen this already, essential reading for using manual-aperture lenses on Pentax DSLR cameras: How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Yes seen that already..I acquired the Porst lens for Bokeh effects, with the right light it takes pics that seem ok too...like this one. So I guess I just have to get my settings right and buy an automatic lens too for normal stuff. Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-17-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #12

Off exposures could be from forgetting to press the green button first or a fault in the camera.

Just to make sure is the mount on the lens bare metal vs coated, e.g. shiny metal vs dull or black? Green button metering doesn't always work with a non-conductive lens mount.
01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Estellarosa Quote
So I guess I just have to get my settings right and buy an automatic lens too for normal stuff. Thanks!
It might be prudent to try an automatic exposure lens before buying, if possible, in case the camera's aperture control mechanism has failed. If it has, you can just stick to having fun with manual aperture lenses. For 10 euros, you got a bargain anyway.