Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #1

Stained Sensor Pentax K-r HELP ME PLEASE

I've a Pentax K-r. Its sensor seems clean, but I cleaned anyway, and I've these stains on my photos again.
Why do I have these stains and how can I solve this problem?

Attached Images

01-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those appear to be dust spots. How did you clean the sensor? Dust spots usually disappear with a few puffs from a blower.
01-19-2019, 04:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Those appear to be dust spots. How did you clean the sensor? Dust spots usually disappear with a few puffs from a blower.
I cleaned with the sensor cleaning stick.
01-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a wet clean.

01-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Try a wet clean.
I already did. I also have so little dust in my lens. Is it cause for these stains?
01-19-2019, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

You probably were cleaning in a dusty environment and those dust particles jumped onto the sensor after you were done. Try cleaning the sensor with the camera always pointing towards the ground. You can also try doing it in the bathroom after running a hot shower so the very high humidity can help with the dust.

That dust may also have already been in your mirror box. It can be very frustrating. Be patient.

A rocket blower may work if they are not well-adhered. Also do that with the camera pointed down. Use the blower on the mirror box and lens-back. Then put the mirror up and do the sensor.

Also, me personally I’ve only had good luck using an unsized nylon brush. You use a can of air ON THE BRUSH to put static electricity on the brush and use that to clean the mirror box first, then a separate brush to clean the sensor. I bought CleanSkies brand from eBay (all one word) but any similar one should work if it’s free of stiffening starches (sizing). Nylon bristle artist brushes that have been well cleaned would be a good substitute. Visible Dust is a high end brand for similar brushes marketed for sensor cleaning, but I don’t think you get a better product for your money vs CleanSkies.

It usually takes me 4 or 5 tries to get a sensor cleaned.

Last edited by Kozlok; 01-19-2019 at 06:27 AM.
01-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
I took some photos with another lens today and I have the same stains. I think I can be sure that the reason of stains is the dust on sensor, right?
Attached Images

01-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

use the wet method with eclipse or episcopal alcohol. remember to blo first the wet clean with 2 drops only and dry it up immediately with a dry wand followed by the blower. If that stain wont come off you could try hydrogen peroxide followed by the previous methods. Disclaimer do it at your own RISK

01-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
I think I cleaned the dirt on my sensor, but why are the upper left and right corners dark?
Attached Images

01-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably just a lens characteristic called "vignetting" - just another word for dark corners. But lenses usually do that at very wide apertures (lowest f number) which are also the worst for showing dust on the sensor. You should take a test shot at f16 or f22 to check for dust again.