Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 05:45 AM   #31
Unregistered User

so, why didn't it show up with other lenses?

01-24-2019, 05:48 AM   #32

Okay, so the drop(s) of oil act as a lens which interact differently depending on the focal length and f-stop. I can see that. A good look at the sensor with a the aid of a flashlight / torch probably would have revealed the drops.

Definitely better left to a professional to clean.

Glad all is well now.
01-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Wow, I've not heard that one before. I said it looked like a liquid drop, but I didn't consider oil!

Enjoy your new clean sensor.
Use of compressed air cans to clean sensor????
01-24-2019, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Use of compressed air cans to clean sensor????
NO, NEVER! They are full of particles. Use a rocket blower in a clean environment.

---------- Post added 25-01-19 at 07:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
so, why didn't it show up with other lenses?
Because he shot the other lenses at f/4.

01-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
NO, NEVER! They are full of particles. Use a rocket blower in a clean environment.

---------- Post added 25-01-19 at 07:22 AM ----------

Because he shot the other lenses at f/4.

Wasn't suggesting use of, merely mentioning that the OP or whoever had the lens before him may have & the force of the air would be enough to dislodge lubricant.
01-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #36

Original Poster
I bought all the lenses brand new and I never used compressed air on them.

I want to blame my 77 limited for the oil. I feel that the oil really started showing after I started using that lens more often, also I use it up to f5.0 and I never noticed it until I started doing some real estate work that required me to use f9 - f11 on a different lens.

However, all that aside I’m just excited that it was something simple. The place I went was really professional and very knowledgeable so I’ll be using them again.

As always, everyone here rocks for insight and advice!
01-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bethor Quote
I want to blame my 77 limited for the oil.
I wouldn't, the culprit is most likely something in your cameras mirror box. Nikon cameras had quite a problem with oil spots in the past and most of it came from the mirror box assembly.

01-28-2019, 04:21 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wouldn't, the culprit is most likely something in your cameras mirror box. Nikon cameras had quite a problem with oil spots in the past and most of it came from the mirror box assembly.
Right. If this keeps happening, your KP being under warranty, sending it to Pentax repair service may be the thing to do. I cannot imagine any of your lenses mentioned leaking oil into your camera. But then I am not a technician.