Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you see the spot in live view?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you see the spot in live view?
it doesn't appear to be there. however, when I take the picture it shows up. I will test this out a bit more with live view.
01-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bethor Quote
it doesn't appear to be there. however, when I take the picture it shows up. I will test this out a bit more with live view.
This is why I suspect pixel mapping or some other form of lens-specific processing as the culprit. Could you post the original out of camera JPEG (important!) and raw files?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is why I suspect pixel mapping or some other form of lens-specific processing as the culprit. Could you post the original out of camera JPEG (important!) and raw files?
I will try to post them here shortly.

unfortunately after using the rocket bottle trying to blow out the sensor etc I now have dirt on the focusing screen =(
I tried using a q-tip from my cleaning kit but I can't see to get it out. bummer =(

01-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #20

Original Poster
I can select the jpg without issues but I don't know how to do the RAW file. I show a PEF file but it won't let me upload it.

The issue is on the top left of the picture
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found it after doing an on-screen enlargement. It seems doubtful to me that an artifact so well defined could be from the lens. If it were on or in the lens, as the lens is focused at different distance points, the smudge would go badly out of focus, which apparently is not the case here. Something getting into the camera during lens changing is the most likely culprit.

As far as not being there with other lenses, take a picture with your lens set at the same focal length as another lens, where the issue shows up, then put on the other lens at that same focal length, aperture setting, and shooting the same scene at the same distance to see if it is still there.

If another Pentaxian were nearby, you could try your lens on a different camera to clear the lens of being involved with absolute certainty.
01-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I found it after doing an on-screen enlargement. It seems doubtful to me that an artifact so well defined could be from the lens. If it were on or in the lens, as the lens is focused at different distance points, the smudge would go badly out of focus, which apparently is not the case here. Something getting into the camera during lens changing is the most likely culprit.

As far as not being there with other lenses, take a picture with your lens set at the same focal length as another lens, where the issue shows up, then put on the other lens at that same focal length, aperture setting, and shooting the same scene at the same distance to see if it is still there.

If another Pentaxian were nearby, you could try your lens on a different camera to clear the lens of being involved with absolute certainty.
I just tested out my portrait lens at f9 and it does show. so I guess its back to a dirty sensor.
is it worth cleaning it myself or should I just see what a camera shop charges?

I don't know why I didn't try the portrait lens at the f9 normally, I shoot wide open with it.

01-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I just tested out my portrait lens at f9 and it does show. so I guess its back to a dirty sensor.

I don't know why I didn't try the portrait lens at the f9 normally, I shoot wide open with it.
You now need the sensor cleaned and the focussing screen cleaned. Possible to clean yourself with the right cleaning kit - i.e Amazon. Or....take it to a professional for cleaning and be done with it.
01-22-2019, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't use the Rupert method that involves a pressure washer.
01-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you aren't confident cleaning the sensor yourself you should look into getting your camera professionally cleaned. To my eyes the speck looks like a piece of Pollen. Pollen is quite sticky, and adheres to glass like cement. Cleaning it off camera sensor almost invariably requires a wet cleaning - which is best done professionally.
01-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before you clean the sensor answer a question. While you say it does not seem to move, to me it seems to change in position between the 3 shots you have posted, but geometrically out from the centre of the lens, so the question is, does it move as a function of focal length?

I suspect yes, It has a lot of similarities to the out of focus donut you get on a mirror lens but as it does not produce replications around all out of focus items I suspect towards the rear of the lens not the front
01-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Already shown to be present using a different lens.

If it were me, I would be looking for a professional service to clean what needs to be cleaned. If it is pollen, that may be too difficult for a novice to tackle.
01-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #28

In my experience dust on the sensor is more noticeable with some lenses more than others. Focal length as well as focus distance and aperture setting appear to be factors.

A bit of lint or hair on end could possibly create an artifact such as seen in your samples from diffraction or diffusion through light convergence cross-sections varying in distance from the sensor. Again dependent on focal length, focus distance and aperture setting.

Dust on the focus screen is could be on the pentaprism or the side of the screen facing the pentaprism. Releasing the screen and blowing off those surfaces usually solves that problem.

You can try a review site like yelp.com for "best sensor cleaning in [your area]"
01-23-2019, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #29

Original Poster
I took it in for a cleaning yesterday at a local shop and just got it back today.
The tech that cleaned the sensor told me that I had multiple droplets of oil on the sensor and it was cased by the shutter, which is normal.
After taking a few shots I can happily say that everything is back to normal.

Thank you for all the help everyone!
01-23-2019, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I took it in for a cleaning yesterday at a local shop and just got it back today.
The tech that cleaned the sensor told me that I had multiple droplets of oil on the sensor and it was cased by the shutter, which is normal.
After taking a few shots I can happily say that everything is back to normal.
Wow, I've not heard that one before. I said it looked like a liquid drop, but I didn't consider oil!

Enjoy your new clean sensor.