Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

Vertical lines on landscape pictures

Hi everyone!

I just started shooting with a Pentax 20D my father gave me. He bought it probably 10 years ago.
There is an issue with the landscape pictures I take, especially at night : weird vertical lines appear. I can even see them on the screen of the camera. I have attached a few examples. There only seems to be a problem with landscape pictures, not portrait ones. I shot in JPG.

If you have any idea what's going on here...
Thank you so much!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sitting here staring at your photos. I can see no vertical lines whatsoever. Is it your monitor settings?
01-23-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see the lines in both images, mostly visible in the sky. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it's a problem with the camera's sensor.
01-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Sitting here staring at your photos. I can see no vertical lines whatsoever. Is it your monitor settings?
Zoomed in they show up for me on my phone.

---------- Post added 01-23-19 at 01:41 PM ----------

How are they processed?

01-23-2019, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe the old Samsung sensor in K20D did suffer from banding problems in some cameras, but it usually only show on high ISO.

An old battery that start to go bad can probably cause many strange problems.
01-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I see them too on my monitors at work. I have a feeling I won't see them on one of my monitors at home (the one that is really needs to be calibrated, or it might make them super apparent) and will on the other that is pretty close to being correct.

My first guess as to what the problem would be is that is it was something weird going on with the demosaicing process but you said those were shot as jpgs so I would blame the sensor at this point.
01-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see the lines when viewing images on my tablet, but I can see them clearly on my laptop monitor.

This is quite unlikely, I think, but have you tried using a different SD card to see if you get the same result?

01-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

There's an old 2006 discussion of this in the other forum. Just need to google it. Essentially what Fogel70 said.
01-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
There's an old 2006 discussion of this in the other forum. Just need to google it. Essentially what Fogel70 said.
3rd that.

I had a K10d that did the same thing, although admittedly, I only saw it when taking night shots at high ISO. It has to do with the sensors in those cameras.

I'm not sure what to make of it showing up in the daytime shot, but that suggests there may not be much you can do about it. You might be able to use an anti-aliasing filter in a raw processor (that has one), but that would be a long shot. Otherwise, I would check if it goes away at lower ISO settings and maybe even at different aperture settings (again perhaps a long shot given it is the sensor).

-Erik
01-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
3rd that.

I had a K10d that did the same thing, although admittedly, I only saw it when taking night shots at high ISO. It has to do with the sensors in those cameras.

I'm not sure what to make of it showing up in the daytime shot, but that suggests there may not be much you can do about it. You might be able to use an anti-aliasing filter in a raw processor (that has one), but that would be a long shot. Otherwise, I would check if it goes away at lower ISO settings and maybe even at different aperture settings (again perhaps a long shot given it is the sensor).

-Erik
Per the EXIF viewer both were shot at ISO equivalent of 280? That's an odd number - is that accurate? EDIT - just a half stop rather than 1/3 stop like I use. Not thinking. Lol.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-24-2019 at 01:21 AM.
01-23-2019, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

These are some things I'd try:

New battery

New SD Card

Different lens (Like the 18-55 @ 18)

Turning SR off

Turning SR on!

Shooting raw and exporting at highest ql jpeg

Reinstalling the latest drivers

If none of these resolve your issue, it's likely a sensor defect.
01-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Per the EXIF viewer both were shot at ISO equivalent of 280? That's an odd number - is that accurate?
That is a real number. I'm recall how flexible that body was in terms of settings. I currently (K-3) limit my ISO settings to whole stop increments (100, 200, 400, 800, etc), but back when I had the K10d (which preceded the K20d), I don't think one could force those limits, and I have a lot of shots at ISO 280 (and similar half stops).

By the way, I wouldn't think ISO 280 would be terrible, but you would only know whether you can do better by shooting at ISO 100 for instance. When I shot my K10d, I used to shoot up to ISO 800 and would guess that those were the shots that had the issue.
01-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mpotter Quote
I shot in JPG.
What happens when you shoot RAW?
01-23-2019, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #14

Also, take one landscape and one portrait oriented image. See if the lines remain vertical or they become horizontal in the portrait image.
01-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
That is a real number. I'm recall how flexible that body was in terms of settings. I currently (K-3) limit my ISO settings to whole stop increments (100, 200, 400, 800, etc), but back when I had the K10d (which preceded the K20d), I don't think one could force those limits, and I have a lot of shots at ISO 280 (and similar half stops).

By the way, I wouldn't think ISO 280 would be terrible, but you would only know whether you can do better by shooting at ISO 100 for instance. When I shot my K10d, I used to shoot up to ISO 800 and would guess that those were the shots that had the issue.
Iso stops that are intermediate make me crazy... Lol. To me 280 isn't a 1/2 stop from 200 to 400, my mind thinks 300 is but of course that's wrong. Lol.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-24-2019 at 01:23 AM.