Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I have the grip permanently on the camera
Take the grip off - one more variable in the equation you can eliminate.

01-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Take the grip off - one more variable in the equation you can eliminate.

Ooh, will give that also a go should the problem resurface. Seems to be a few diagnostic possibilities here...

01-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've noticed what seems like similar odd behaviour on a few occasions with my upgraded black K-1 Mark II.

With the power on but the camera in standby after a period of inactivity, a half button press doesn't wake the camera up as it should, but a full press takes a picture. After that everything is normal so I just get on with it

I'll pay more attention now, and check whether the same thing happens with my other (silver) K-1 Mark II.
01-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I noted that too Sandy. It’s hard to know how firmly to press since there is no longer that obvious half-press stay on the K-1. But I have done a number of off-on cycles since wiping the contacts, and nothing else, and now no problems with powering on. Might have just been the contacts needing cleaning.

01-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ooh, will give that also a go should the problem resurface. Seems to be a few diagnostic possibilities here...
Be sure the e-dials on the grip are properly aligned in their detents. As I recall, one of the grips (for K-1?) would cause electrical issues with the camera body when the dials were slightly mis-aligned. Inadvertently, intermittently slightly rolling an e-dial might thus cause intermittent power-on issues.

Just a thought.
01-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Be sure the e-dials on the grip are properly aligned in their detents. As I recall, one of the grips (for K-1?) would cause electrical issues with the camera body when the dials were slightly mis-aligned. Inadvertently, intermittently slightly rolling an e-dial might thus cause intermittent power-on issues.

Just a thought.

Another good thought. Thanks. Adds to the permutations and combinations that need to be checked with power issues.

01-27-2019, 12:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, there is a problem of battery management with the K1 (haven't had a chance to verify on the K1 II, but I believe it's the same): I already had the camera switch off when transitioning between the in-camera battery and grip. There is a choice in the menu: Auto, grip-first, camera-first. I initially used the K1 with the default "Auto" grip setting, and I had the K1 switch off in the middle of a burst when it attempted to switch batteries automatically. On the K1, the camera isn't able to switch automatically fast enough from in camera battery to grip battery, so during the switching time the camera will sometimes switch off instead of successfully switch to the alternate battery. By default, the switch is set to Auto. After I had set the power source to "Grip first" instead of "Auto", the problem occurred less but never fully gone. That said, your problem is not necessarily related to the grip.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-27-2019 at 01:07 AM.
01-27-2019, 01:32 AM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will look out for this also, never a phenomenon on previous cameras.