Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 II occasionally will not power on until shutter button depressed

Anyone experienced this problem with their K-1?
After switching lenses with the power switch off, and then switching the K-1 II back on does not bring the camera to life until I depress the shutter button.
I haven't had this issue with any previous camera, and this problem only seems to be intermittent, not related to any one lens I have just fitted onto the camera.
Once the shutter has been depressed it does come to life and seems to work fine thereafter.
Is anyone aware of this being a problem?

01-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
K-1 II occasionally will not power on until shutter button depressed
How do you know the K1 II is off after switching it on?
01-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No response to any button, nothing on the display of the top LCD or the viewfinder, nothing on the rear LCD. No auto sensor clean sound either.
01-26-2019, 06:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Can't help diagnose further, but sensor cleaning is ultrasonic, you won't hear it like in old cameras such as the k10d.

I would start by checking the settings for timeout for the meter and the standby timer, the camera may be going to sleep while you put away the other lens.

01-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can just hear the ultrasonic high-pitched whirr and I know it has been done, but I know that nothing happens when this powering on doesn't actually power on the camera.
No, the camera is not going to sleep between lens changes, because I always turn the power off between lens changes.
This is only occurring after I power the camera on after it has been physically turned off (not after a time out).
Anyone else experienced this?
01-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #6

Was that an upgrade? Send it back to Sun for service. Should be still under warranty.
01-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Anyone else experienced this?
I checked mine, I don't see how this could be happening. You need a fully charged battery, clean contacts in case there would be a voltage drop at the startup that would screw-up the start-up. Your best thing to do is to reset everything to factory defaults. Switch off the camera. Remove the lens. Remove battery. Set the dials to default. Put the battery back in. Switch on again.

01-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I checked mine, I don't see how this could be happening. You need a fully charged battery, clean contacts in case there would be a voltage drop at the startup that would screw-up the start-up. Your best thing to do is to reset everything to factory defaults. Switch off the camera. Remove the lens. Remove battery. Set the dials to default. Put the battery back in. Switch on again.
Good advice.
01-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did this start happening after a purchase of a new lens by any chance ?
01-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Strange... One tricky bit about modern cameras is that the on-off power switch doesn't actual connect/disconnect the battery. Instead, it sends an electronic signal to the power management chip and the chip turns the camera on.

I'm wondering of the powerswitch contacts are getting a little loose and your pushing the shutter button also squeezes the power switch ring enough to engage those contacts. What happens if you switch-off the camera, change lenses, switch-on the camera, and then push down on the powerswitch ring (not the shutter button)?

If pressing on the power ring turns on the camera, then the problem might be wear, corrosion, or damage of the switch contacts.

If pressing the power ring does not turn on the camera (i.e., it really is something about the shutter button press), then I'd next suspect that something in the stored state of the camera has gotten corrupted. A "Factory Reset" might clear the glitch. (Tip, use another camera to take snapshots of all the menu settings pages so you can reconfigure the camera.)

Good luck!
01-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

That might just be it. The contacts I mean. There was a small degree of grease lining some of them on the camera body that I wiped off and will test its effect with time. But I agree, it shouldn’t be happening. I always check to see that the battery is reasonably charged, although if it didn’t have enough charge it wouldn’t start up fine after depressing the shutter, would it?

01-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Did this start happening after a purchase of a new lens by any chance ?

No. It has been happening intermittently since I bought the camera which was only 3 weeks ago, and I am only fitting previously used lenses onto the camera.

01-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Strange... One tricky bit about modern cameras is that the on-off power switch doesn't actual connect/disconnect the battery. Instead, it sends an electronic signal to the power management chip and the chip turns the camera on.

I'm wondering of the powerswitch contacts are getting a little loose and your pushing the shutter button also squeezes the power switch ring enough to engage those contacts. What happens if you switch-off the camera, change lenses, switch-on the camera, and then push down on the powerswitch ring (not the shutter button)?

If pressing on the power ring turns on the camera, then the problem might be wear, corrosion, or damage of the switch contacts.

If pressing the power ring does not turn on the camera (i.e., it really is something about the shutter button press), then I'd next suspect that something in the stored state of the camera has gotten corrupted. A "Factory Reset" might clear the glitch. (Tip, use another camera to take snapshots of all the menu settings pages so you can reconfigure the camera.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the explanation on this power switch ring phenomenon. It’s a new camera with a nicely tight power switch that I couldn’t imagine could have suffered any wear & tear as yet. But I’ll attempt that if after cleaning the contacts this not-switching-on after turning the power ring to the on position happens again. Much obliged.

01-26-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not seen this problem on my K-1 but I'm wondering if it could be related to the battery. Scenario: During turn on, power draw dips the voltage a bit too much and the camera goes into low voltage shutdown (which can be woken up when voltage comes back up).

Have you tried another battery?
01-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Battery issue

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I have not seen this problem on my K-1 but I'm wondering if it could be related to the battery. Scenario: During turn on, power draw dips the voltage a bit too much and the camera goes into low voltage shutdown (which can be woken up when voltage comes back up).

Have you tried another battery?
Thanks for that suggestion. I will do this also if it happens again, but I have the grip permanently on the camera and have two OEM batteries installed, one of which is brand new. I will check this issue off though to rule it out.