Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Issues with ME Super

I recently got a lens/combo off eBay of a SMC A 35-105mm/ME Super. The only reason I considered this auction, is for the lens, and I planned on selling the camera once I got it. I put some fresh batteries in the ME Super, and the electronics work, but the shutter release doesn't actuate the shutter, and the film advance lever doesn't advance the film (it barely moves). Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should be doing? I'd prefer to not have to get it CLA'd, because that'd cost more than it's worth. Thanks in advance.

01-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The advance won't move much if the shutter has not fired (as the films already "in position").

Not sure, why its not firing. I'm assuming the select lever is not on "L" (locked)?
01-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah. I've tried depressing the shutter release in every one of the positions on the knob, including "L" even though it's locked.

There seems to be a little piece of metal in front of the mirror. I've compared it with my mom's normal ME and my K1000, but that piece of metal isn't there. It looks like it's blocking the mirror from swinging upwards.

I've also used an ME winder on it, and when I press the shutter release on the winder, the shutter release on the body depresses, and it sounds like the shutter opens, but the mirror doesn't swing upwards.
01-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

Sell it for parts.

01-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sell it for parts.
That's what I'm thinking I'll have to do. Any idea how much I could (realistically) get for a parts machine?
01-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
There seems to be a little piece of metal in front of the mirror.
Focus screen holder ?
01-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same problem with a Minolta X-370 that I bought off Ebay. Turns out it's a bad capacitor in my case. Garry's camera repair charges a flat $53 to fix the problem and do a complete CLA. Since the seller refunded my money, I think I'll do that. The camera looks to be almost mint except for that problem. I can always sell a totally refurbished camera for more than the combined price of camera/repair.

01-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
01-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Focus screen holder ?
No, it looks like a little tab in the lower right that sticks out preventing the mirror from flapping (technical word, I know).

---------- Post added 01-27-19 at 11:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
Holy [expletive]! I think that video might be the answer. I'll see if I can't get it working again. Thanks!
01-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Must be a Father Ted character doing the voiceover for that one
02-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #11

Contact the seller on Ebay and demand a refund. They probably will not refuse because they know you can proceed and get a refund through Ebay. If a seller sells broken gear and does not state it, Ebay protects you as long as you have paid through paypal.
02-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Crumpler Quote
Contact the seller on Ebay and demand a refund. They probably will not refuse because they know you can proceed and get a refund through Ebay. If a seller sells broken gear and does not state it, Ebay protects you as long as you have paid through paypal.
Under normal circumstances I would, but the lens was what I was after. The camera was an afterthought.