Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #1

My camera just stopped working

I have a Pentax K-X with a 30348 shutter count. Lately I can not take any photos of the lens is on the camera , but if I take off the lens , it works perfectly. Do you know what could cause this issue ?
I've never dropped the camera or damaged it.

01-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens/camera? Also, do you have any other lenses to test with?

Does the camera give any indication that communication with the lens has failed, such as showing "F--" in the aperture window?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the lens has an aperture ring, make sure it's set to "A" (?)
01-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
This is the only thing I get from the Camera when I turn it on. And yes , I tried with multiple lens and the only thing changes is the F number. And I think I forgot to mention that the focus is not working , however it shows up as af-c or af-s

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EVA-L19  Photo 
01-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try it in single shot mode instead of hi burst
01-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Check if can capture an image if you set focus switch to manual.
If you have AF on, the camera might only capture an image if it is in focus.

Do you hear the AF-motor when you try to capture the shot in AF? If you do, it might be the screw drive in the lens mount not engaging. Check if the screw drive move in and out on the lens mount if switching focus lever between AF and MF.

If you do not hear the AF motor moving, it could be a broken motor or a jammed screw drive.
01-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also do you have focus confirmation on. That may prevent taking a photo I’d auto focus isn’t working

01-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will guess it is another case of aperture motor failure. The aperture is closed to minimum when mounted, so the camera could not focus and refuses to take photos.
You can check the aperture of the lens on camera. It should be wide open. I guess yours is closed.
Or, set the camera to MF, M model, you might be able to take a dark picture.
Or, go outdoor, set the camera at AV and turn the aperture to F22, and you might be able to take a picture.
01-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
I've solved the problem with the "Aperture ring" setting. I changed it from off to on , and now I can take pictures , however , on the screen I can't see the correct information of the aperture , but in the veiwfinder , I can see the F number properly.
But thanks for all your help , I very appreciate it.
01-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A guy with no plan Quote
I've solved the problem with the "Aperture ring" setting. I changed it from off to on , and now I can take pictures , however , on the screen I can't see the correct information of the aperture , but in the veiwfinder , I can see the F number properly.
But thanks for all your help , I very appreciate it.
Right. One of the first things I wondered about upon seeing your post, is what lens you are using. Are you using an old manual-focus only lens model? Which one? The fact that it has an aperture ring indicates an older lens design, but some of these offer auto focus (AF), while the lenses designed before AF became widely available do not.

It is normal with any Pentax DSLR when using the aperture ring to set aperture, that the screen will not register the aperture setting, while the VF will. When using the aperture ring to set aperture, you must shoot in Manual mode and achieve metering of your scene for exposure value by using the green button. You set the aperture, and with the green button the camera will set the shutter speed to a correct exposure value for the aperture you have chosen.

Your focus settings depending on the lens and what your use of it will be. AF-S for single shot shutter release, where the camera will not fire unless focus is achieved and confirmation is registered by the camera, shown by the focus-confirmation light, and usually accompanied by a beep. With AF-C, the camera will activate AF on a continual basis, adjusting the focus as the subject moves, and the shutter will fire even if accurate focus is not achieved. Then there is MF where you focus the lens manually, and the shutter will fire even if focus is not achieved.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-30-2019 at 10:16 PM.