Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Users from Thailand, Singapore. Help! I lost the gear

Hi

Anybody with experience about Thailand (or possibly Singapore) buying some replacement gear.

See, my camera with lens (k5 with 35 ltd) went missing yesterday. I am not 100% sure what happened, but substantial evidence points to monkeys with long fingers. The camera was in the pannier but easy to get to, as I just put in on top of other content. I had two more lenses there, but packed away, and they are in fact still there.

I have a long way to go still and the thought of doing it without a proper camera is depressing.

I know there are user from Thailand and Singapore here. I hope you guys see this and can tell me where to look for cameras in Bangkok, any second hands options? Pentax? Is it perhaps better to fly to Singapore? My impression is cameras in Thailand are expensive.

I have searched a bit, but there is no good information to find.

01-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This older thread indicates Singapore should be much cheaper than Thailand.

Lens in Thailand/Singapore : cheaper than in Europe? - PentaxForums.com
01-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This older thread indicates Singapore should be much cheaper than Thailand.

Lens in Thailand/Singapore : cheaper than in Europe? - PentaxForums.com
It is some years ago, but last I was in Singapore and Bangkok, Singapore was not only cheaper, they also had stuff to sell. There was very little in Bangkok at that time. Now I suspect people here buy their stuff from Internet shops. That is not an option for me, I'm afraid.

I am here riding a bicycle, and I have had a look at some bicycles here. Imported stuff is expensive.
01-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a friend in Singapore I can ask her for shop recommendations but she's not a photographer...

01-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have a friend in Singapore I can ask her for shop recommendations but she's not a photographer...
No worries "Uncle", I am already in PM contact with a user from Singapore.

I would still like to hear some first-hand experiences from Thailand.
01-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Thailand is generally not a good place for purchasing electronics as they have a "luxury tax" which means anything imported over a certain value has another 30% added on for the tax. There are places that won't include it but then you are dealing with the less reputable side of retailers...
Singapore would be my preference.

Cheers

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-30-2019 at 03:42 PM.
01-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks.

I am between buying a cheapish action cam of some kind here in Thailand or flying to Singapore and buy something better.

I would rather not fly back and forth, it's a lot of time spent getting to and from airports, waiting for flights, for visa etc. I would be happy to visit Singapore again, and they do have some generally good prices it seems. I am really tempted to have a KP or K3II delivered somewhere (used if have to be) and a 20-40mm

I am on a four month bike trip and I am already burning cash, so it is of course not a welcome expense!!

01-31-2019, 06:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Thanks.

I am between buying a cheapish action cam of some kind here in Thailand or flying to Singapore and buy something better.

I would rather not fly back and forth, it's a lot of time spent getting to and from airports, waiting for flights, for visa etc. I would be happy to visit Singapore again, and they do have some generally good prices it seems. I am really tempted to have a KP or K3II delivered somewhere (used if have to be) and a 20-40mm

I am on a four month bike trip and I am already burning cash, so it is of course not a welcome expense!!
Are you leaving Thailand before the end of the four months? If not, could you pick up an entry level camera (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax, Ricoh) fixed lens or dslr to get by and then resell it before you leave?
Could a friend buy a camera and meet you? Maybe cheaper to gud their travel in time and maybe they would pay part of flights for the experience?
01-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Are you leaving Thailand before the end of the four months? If not, could you pick up an entry level camera (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax, Ricoh) fixed lens or dslr to get by and then resell it before you leave?
Could a friend buy a camera and meet you? Maybe cheaper to gud their travel in time and maybe they would pay part of flights for the experience?
I am from Europe so it is a long and expensive flight and my friends have jobs and families. I am looking into different options, each with their catch of course. I am considering a flight to Singapore or Tokyo - in both cases the flight is paid for by the lower prices on cameras. For instance their are plenty of cheap K3II in Japan and I avoid troubles with customs etc.

I have also located a K3 in Thailand. I am waiting for reply from the seller.

A new friend in Singapore have been very helpful to me, and pointed out a possible catch: sellers on ebay for instance usually only want to sell to people whose paypal address matches the shipping adr.

The dark horse is simply going to Bangkok and buy ... something.

Another advantage of flying out and back is that it buys me time, because I will get a new 30-day visa upon arrival in Thailand.

I have been shooting with my phone for two days now, new but cheap Sony. The iq is not good, but I am actually impressed with its ability to nail exposure and such - I have taken photos in a dark cave with huge contrasts today and the exposure is just spot on and it is able to identify the scene.