Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 02:09 AM   #1

K-1 camera shake issue

Here is the matter,
When i shoot handheld with my k-1, with shake reduction ON, images are often lacking of details on the left side no matter which lens i use.
Shooting on tripod with SR OFF, it's fine.

Do you think my camera is faulty. It fell once unfortunately, but i don't remember having this issue straight after the fall.

I'll try to be more specific with examples and exifs later.
Thanks for your feedback.

02-06-2019, 02:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mpasquier Quote
Here is the matter,
When i shoot handheld with my k-1, with shake reduction ON, images are often lacking of details on the left side no matter which lens i use.
Shooting on tripod with SR OFF, it's fine.

Do you think my camera is faulty. It fell once unfortunately, but i don't remember having this issue straight after the fall.

I'll try to be more specific with examples and exifs later.
Thanks for your feedback.
I look forward to seeing some photos. It's difficult to suggest a cause or a fix without seeing samples.
02-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #3

which lenses do you use?
02-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by supersargas Quote
which lenses do you use?
Here are the lenses which i usually have camera shake with :
DFA 24-70 F/2.8, irix 15mm, samyang 20mm

Last edited by mpasquier; 02-06-2019 at 02:32 AM.
02-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The mount may have been hit, causing decentering issues.

Edit: If images are fine on a tripod it could be damage to the SR mechanism.
02-06-2019, 02:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
I managed to found one. Hope you can see that the bottom of the image is lacking of details compare to the top.
K-1 with a DFA24-70 @ 1/00, iso 1000, f/2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-06-2019, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see what you mean, but I'd try to stop down a little as it can be difficult to determine whether it is the scene that has different depths to the plane of focus, or is it genuine decentering. Try shooting a subject that is pretty flat, like a detailed mural, and stand about 3-5m away to avoid curvature of the subject causing the blur, and try again with the same lenses.

02-06-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At f/2.8 the DoF is pretty narrow. Are you sure it's not just a different distance to the lower foreground? Do you see the problem at say f/8?

It is hard to imagine how decentring would be sensitive to SR. Looking forward to seeing a few more examples so we can get to the bottom of this mystery. Some boring shots of a brick wall might be useful.

If the camera is still under warranty, I would recommend returning it to be checked.
02-06-2019, 04:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I understand there is a shake issue around 1/100s generally, so might be shutter speed, not lens per se.

In any event, to my eyes there's little passably sharp anywhere in the photo you've posted, so it could be a number of issues combined.
02-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I understand there is a shake issue around 1/100s generally, so might be shutter speed, not lens per se.

In any event, to my eyes there's little passably sharp anywhere in the photo you've posted, so it could be a number of issues combined.
Precisely. Shutter (first curtain) induced blur would be across all of the image at 1/100s, since the shutter is completely open (exposing all of the sensor) when the first curtain hits home at 1/100s.

I agree that more issues could be involved. More tests would be in order using a more suitable test scene (brick wall perhaps) and running both the shutter and F-stops over a range of values.
02-06-2019, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mirror slap is an issue with FF DSLR's. Not just Pentax. I stay below1/80 of a second and try to keep my shutter speeds at 1/250 second or faster.

You could also try the electronic shutter to see if you still have the issue too.

My K1 did not have it at first, but it did develop the problem after a few hundred exposures. I just work around it. My K1-II has been free of the issue so far. I use a D FA 28-105 lens on mine and that combo seems to hit the sweet spot for the issue for me.

Last edited by gaweidert; 02-08-2019 at 05:42 PM.
02-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...but neither shutter shake nor mirror slap should be worse with SR enabled than not, should it? That's what the OP reports in the first post - sharp images with SR off, uneven sharpness with SR on.

That said, how can SR influence one end of the sensor but not the other? I would think any malfunction would affect the whole sensor more or less equally all over. Then again, I might be wrong.
02-06-2019, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

It's probably the shutter shock that my K-1 shows. my range is pretty big - 1/30 to 1/200. I've learned to live with it, mostly by using Electronic shutter on a tripod, or using 1/250 for date time. It bothers me though, hope K-1 successor will have this resolved.
02-06-2019, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
hope K-1 successor will have this resolved.
My K-1 shows some shutter blur with the DFA28-105 at certain shutters speeds, but the mirror slap generate even more blur. On my K1 II , it's plain sharp at any shutter speed. I've compared the shutter sound of the K1 and K1 II, the K1 II sound is softer so I guess there is a difference either hardware or firmware. My plan is to send the K1 for repair and calibration, sell it and get another K1 II kit new. I used the K1 II , test shots mainly, and it feel just the right camera for me now, I expect to keep using the K1 II for as long as it works.
02-06-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My K-1 shows some shutter blur with the DFA28-105 at certain shutters speeds, but the mirror slap generate even more blur. On my K1 II , it's plain sharp at any shutter speed. I've compared the shutter sound of the K1 and K1 II, the K1 II sound is softer so I guess there is a difference either hardware or firmware. My plan is to send the K1 for repair and calibration, sell it and get another K1 II kit new. I used the K1 II , test shots mainly, and it feel just the right camera for me now, I expect to keep using the K1 II for as long as it works.
Hmm thanks for info. I saw mixed reports on that, good to hear that some people experience good results. I wonder if it's manufacturing tolerance as well, because I've seen people being happy with the original k-1 too. Maybe you got a very good copy of your k-1?

For now I just use ES or high shutter speeds. Considering that I will be purchasing GRIII for travel stuff, my K-1 will only have to do landscape work, so I can forget my troubles with shutter shock.