Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What mount is a Starblitz 500mm lens?

I went to an estate sale and I may or may not have gotten taken. I found a Starblitz 500mm F:8 Mirror Lens and I donít think the screw is M42. The lens has an unidentified screw to an unidentified Nikon mount adapter. Naturally I assumed it was M42, but using my OEM M42 to K-mount adapter itís not exactly fitting. Does anybody know what the fitting would be on this Starblitz? My research turns up shorter focal lengths, but none in the 500mm.

This is a little bit of a humble brag, but I also got a spotless Takumar 200/3.5 with the collar, hood, caps, and Asahi Case for $20 from another sale.

02-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Itís almost certainly a T-mount, which is almost the same thread as M42, but not quite. Even if it was, the lens would not focus correctly with the M42 adapter because the T-mount is thicker.

So, you got a little taken

Youíll need a Pentax T-mount adapter. My last one cost me less than $5 on eBay.

-Eric
02-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It’s almost certainly a T-mount, which is almost the same thread as M42, but not quite. Even if it was, the lens would not focus correctly with the M42 adapter because the T-mount is thicker.

So, you got a little taken

You’ll need a Pentax T-mount adapter. My last one cost me less than $5 on eBay.

-Eric
Something like this? amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter - T-Mount (T/T-2) Screw Mount SLR Lens to Pentax K (PK) Mount SLR Camera Body : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

If so, is it even worth getting for this lens? I’ve always wanted a mirror lens partly for the novelty, partly for the donut bokeh, and partly for the compact zoom. But if the Starblitz is a PoS, I’d rather not bother.
02-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
Something like this? amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter - T-Mount (T/T-2) Screw Mount SLR Lens to Pentax K (PK) Mount SLR Camera Body : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

If so, is it even worth getting for this lens? Iíve always wanted a mirror lens partly for the novelty, partly for the donut bokeh, and partly for the compact zoom. But if the Starblitz is a PoS, Iíd rather not bother.
Yes. Thatís it.
Whether itís worth it is a very difficult question to answer...

One solution is to find another lens that already has the right adapter. There are a lot of 135mm lenses with T-mounts, as well as some other focal lengths. But thatís a doorway to one of the worst types of LBA

-Eric

02-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think K-mount T-Mount is an essential piece of gear to have.
If you spend time haunting estate sales and looking for old gear, you're going to come across more T-mount lenses.
Once you learn to recognize them, regardless of the mount they are equipped with, you have a way to get them mounted on to your Pentax. In some cases even test them before buying,
Cheap investment to open a whole new world of gear, and LBA as Eric alluded to
02-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I think K-mount T-Mount is an essential piece of gear to have.
If you spend time haunting estate sales and looking for old gear, you're going to come across more T-mount lenses.
Once you learn to recognize them, regardless of the mount they are equipped with, you have a way to get them mounted on to your Pentax. In some cases even test them before buying,
Cheap investment to open a whole new world of gear, and LBA as Eric alluded to
Forgive my ignorance but what’s LBA?
02-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lens Buying Addiction,
One side effect of having a camera with interchangeable lenses...
It can be cured, but why would you want to?

Last edited by K-Three; 02-09-2019 at 05:47 PM.
02-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Lens Buying Addiction,
One side effect of having a camera with interchangeable lenses...
It can be cured, but why would you want to?
Oh! Yeah. I’m not totally bad... yet. There’s a few I’m saving up for, but if I find good deals, why not right?

Are there any T-mounts I should keep my eye out for? I’m getting the adapter.

02-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh! Yeah. Iím not totally bad... yet. Thereís a few Iím saving up for, but if I find good deals, why not right?

Are there any T-mounts I should keep my eye out for? Iím getting the adapter.
Most of the T-mount lenses Iíve come across are variations on the cheap super telephoto. Think the 400mm f8 lenses made of really thin aluminum with a couple elements at one end.

That said, I have seen some ~200mm telephotos that werenít bad and a bunch of 135mm lenses. Not much in the way of wide angle, but some exist.

One thing to keep in mind is that none of them can couple the lens aperture. Most of them will be preset lenses because of this.

-Eric
02-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #10

I went to an estate sale and I may or may not have gotten taken. I found a Starblitz 500mm F:8 Mirror Lens and I donít think the screw is M42. The lens has an unidentified screw to an unidentified Nikon mount adapter. Naturally I assumed it was M42, but using my OEM M42 to K-mount adapter itís not exactly fitting. Does anybody know what the fitting would be on this Starblitz? My research turns up shorter focal lengths, but none in the 500mm.

This is a little bit of a humble brag, but I also got a spotless Takumar 200/3.5 with the collar, hood, caps, and Asahi Case for $20 from another sale.
I use to own the Starblitz 500mm Mirror lens, I purchase the lens from a Sears catalog for $199.00 in the late 80s. It is a T-mount as you already know, it is by far the worst lens I ever own, images were extremely soft and the colors were almost non-existent, very difficult to achieve focus as it is a very slow lens. Also if you decide to get the T-mount adapter make sure to use the camera in a tripod.
02-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ma-ledezma Quote
I use to own the Starblitz 500mm Mirror lens, I purchase the lens from a Sears catalog for $199.00 in the late 80s. It is a T-mount as you already know, it is by far the worst lens I ever own, images were extremely soft and the colors were almost non-existent, very difficult to achieve focus as it is a very slow lens. Also if you decide to get the T-mount adapter make sure to use the camera in a tripod.
Daaaaaang. Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re a terrible salesperson lol.

Seriously, thank you for the heads-up on image softness.