Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

K3 saving digital preview as a RAW file

I fairly often save my digital preview images, but find the camera saves them as a JPEG, when I want to save them as a RAW file. Is it possible to change this? I've had a good look through the manual and camera menus, to no avail. As the thread title says, the camera is a K3. The first version.

02-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the file type set to?
02-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
When just taking photos, it's set to RAW. I cannot see where to set the file type of a saved digital preview image.
02-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
When just taking photos, it's set to RAW. I cannot see where to set the file type of a saved digital preview image.
I don't know what you mean by a digital preview image. If you mean what is embedded in the raw file, to see a representation of the image, that must be a jpg by definition.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-09-2019 at 03:10 PM.
02-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I dont remember exactly, but in the K1 on menu (the part with the camera) second tab, there the "camera adjust image" and in that menu the type of archive, type of RAW archive (DNG or PEF), and the space color....
02-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Your preview will be a JPEG. You will never view RAW data
02-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think he means saving the "Digital preview" that one gets as an alernative to "optical preview" using the DOF preview button.

Never use digital preview, so cant help.

02-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Unless anyone else knows a simpler method, you will probably have to follow through these steps:

1. Press AE-L to save your digital Preview image as a JPEG file.
2. Before doing anything else, press the Playback Button to review that JPEG on the rear screen.
3. Now pressing AE-L again will enable you to save the raw file.

Philip
02-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
Set your memory card options under camera menu 1 to write RAW to card 1 and JPEG to card 2. That will save your digital preview plus your RAW file.
02-09-2019, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Unless anyone else knows a simpler method, you will probably have to follow through these steps
My simpler method is not to use digital preview at all. I honestly don't see the point of it. Just take a picture instead
02-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As @pschlute stated. Take the shot, make adjustments and delete the original if desired.
02-10-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My simpler method is not to use digital preview at all. I honestly don't see the point of it. Just take a picture instead
Some folk think it useful when checking RGB histograms which Live view doesn't support. I ended up turning it off since the preview's histograms don't accurately reflect the RAW file's RGB histograms and it all seemed like too much faffing about – and I faff about too much already. Anyway, depth of field checks in Live view are much more useful to me.
02-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't think there's a way to save as raw.

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Here's why I use it: I don't like having instant review on, and I keep the back lcd off. I use digital preview to check my exposure and to avoid pressing the replay button. But it's a trivial preference and I could just as well press the playback button instead, but somehow I got used to this thinking it keeps my sd cards less cluttered.
02-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #14

If the camera is set to save as JPEG only there is no way to convert the preview image to RAW or to save a Raw file.
02-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I don't think there's a way to save as raw.
Thought I'd test that and I think I have a workaround:

1) set camera to shoot raw
2) digital preview, save the preview as jpeg with the AE-L button, there's no option to save directly as raw
3) without taking any other image or preview or powering off, go to the playback menu. You'll get an option to save the raw file from the camera's buffer (same AE-L button)

I have a k3ii with the latest firmware, no idea if this is possible on the k3.