Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

It would appear that my contribution has been ignored. I've already described that method in Post #8.

I posted it because it works when using a K-3. Moreover it works whether the camera is set to JPEG, or raw, or raw+JPEG. It also works with a K-5 series camera, and I would guess that it works on the K-1 series (but I don't have one to try).

When ANY JPEG is recorded, its raw data stays in the buffer until either it is overwritten by the next capture or review or some other action or the camera turns off. If it is still in the buffer, the raw data file for the same image as the JPEG can be also be recorded using the button shown on the Review screen - AE-L for the K-5 and the K-3, or +/- for the K-70.

Philip

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 03:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the camera is set to save as JPEG only there is no way to convert the preview image to RAW or to save a Raw file.
Not so, provided that it is saved while the data is still there - see last paragraph above.

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 02-10-2019 at 03:20 PM.
02-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very useful review technique!

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My simpler method is not to use digital preview at all. I honestly don't see the point of it. Just take a picture instead
So you're a "Never Pre-Chimper"?

Previews I don't do but I do review most of my shot briefly.

I have been using the following set up to review my photos very briefly on the rear screen if I so desire its easy and you actually can by pass looking at the review screen by dismissing the review ......simply push any button. Some may not like it but I have found it very handy.

Someone else posted this a year or so back and I can't find the post so here goes. I have instant review set up to hold and zoom review checked along with Save raw data checked and Highlight alert checked. That way I get a quick look at what I just photographed with a "blinkie display, very handy! To dismiss the instant review press a button and you are back in shooting mode. I keep the histogram for the playback screen but it can be activated in the instant review if wanted. Under the playback menu I turn off quick zoom and leave Highlight Alert unchecked.

BTW, Live View will show a histogram it just has to be set up in the Live View Menu Camera 3 menu.

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.
02-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Some folk think it useful when checking RGB histograms which Live view doesn't support. I ended up turning it off since the preview's histograms don't accurately reflect the RAW file's RGB histograms and it all seemed like too much faffing about – and I faff about too much already. Anyway, depth of field checks in Live view are much more useful to me.
For me the histogram is very useful. Not accurate - hm, you should remember that the generated preview jpg depends on the chosen custom image profile. The histogram is based on this one. If you choose custom image profile B&W you get a black & white jpg preview. If you choose a color tweaking custom image profile the histogram will show this. So, if you‘re after a histogram that reflects the raw data most accurately you should choose Flat or Natural custom image profile, I guess. But you then of course will need to do the raw conversion or jpg tweaking of the final image by yourself in post.
02-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Previews I don't do but I do review most of my shot briefly.
I review all my pictures in instant preview with the RGB histograms displayed. This is entirely separate function to the "optical preview the OP is talking about.