Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many of your shots look good to me. Maybe something to do with your RAW processing in some shots that you find lacking as far as sharpness.

For comparison, try highest-quality JPEGs, center-only spot AF, catch an edge in your frame at the exact spot you want to focus on, and using the shutter half-press to hold focus then reposition the camera as needed to complete your shot. The little kit lens is really quite good, especially if used at mid apertures and mid FLs. The half-press to achieve focus is important. My copy is very good for accurate focus.

It is very important for images right out of the camera to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. Put the camera on "P" mode to do this, not the green auto mode, which should be avoided anyway. Access the menus via the info button, and the 4 buttons around the ok button will then be for navigation and settings. Use the camera set to the "Bright" category. The camera's default setting for sharpness in "Bright" category is up by +1 from center. With my K-5 IIs and my K-S2 I increase this level one more to +2. With my 24mp KP, I leave it at the default +1. But in all cases I also implement "fine Sharpening", using my thumb dial to put an "F" by the "S". This will optimize fine detail in your images.

If needed, the camera's shadow and highlight protection can be activated, but for most scenes this is not an issue. The K-S2 is a fine-performer with great controls and features, and at the same time remarkably compact and lightweight.

02-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

My 18-55 is quite a bit off when it comes to autofocus, it front focuses quite badly. When it comes to infinity you're usually better off using live view and zooming in to get the fine focus manually.

Also using the forum's uploader makes images look bad almost always. I recommend uploading to something like Imgur or Flickr to get the best quality.
02-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you are not going to see extreme detail in bark at that distance with a lens set at 21mm unless the focus is right on that specific tree. Remember that snow often causes underexposure so open your aperture!
02-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
My 18-55 is quite a bit off when it comes to autofocus, it front focuses quite badly. When it comes to infinity you're usually better off using live view and zooming in to get the fine focus manually.

Also using the forum's uploader makes images look bad almost always. I recommend uploading to something like Imgur or Flickr to get the best quality.
I had the DA 18-55mm kittens for years. It was good for a kit lens, but AF was not always reliable. The yet smaller DA 18-50mm with its quiet DC AF motor is far better for AF, and even an improved IQ. I find its AF to be fast and accurate when used with care.

There was comment regarding snow exposure, which is a correct comment, but these snow scenes seem well-exposed to me.

02-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think you may be asking too much of your skills to expect to be able to see detail in tree bark in those images. For one the scene is too contrasty to get detail in both the trees and the snow (you've picked the snow) and for two depth of field at 50mm, f/5.6 is roughly 3 feet.

I have yet to see evidence that the camera or lens is defective.
02-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Getting the 'plastic fantastic'

Thanks for all the helpful hints folks. I think I'm probably just seeing the performance limits of the kit lens, nothing to do with the camera. I have a manual Takumar 135 mm F2.5 that is definitely sharper than the kit lens. I just ordered the 50mm F1.8 'fantastic plastic' lens to get a little better sharpness in portraits and general shooting.

Frank
02-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank29 Quote
Thanks for all the helpful hints folks. I think I'm probably just seeing the performance limits of the kit lens, nothing to do with the camera. I have a manual Takumar 135 mm F2.5 that is definitely sharper than the kit lens. I just ordered the 50mm F1.8 'fantastic plastic' lens to get a little better sharpness in portraits and general shooting.

Frank
You should be able to get sharp results from the kit lens, it's not the best lens in the world in terms of speed (both aperture and focusing) or range, but it is fairly sharp.