Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 05:03 AM - 3 Likes   #1
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Keeping heavy lenses safe - Ricoh take note:

One important thing I learned from the incident related in another thread (My K1 shell is cracked. Will Precision Camera replace that? - PentaxForums.com) : don't try to support the weight of the lens with the camera - don't attach the camera prior to installation of the lens on the tripod, and remove the camera from the lens before removing the lens from the tripod. And use the strap attachments, just in case. Although the lens in the case reported was defective, it gave me a chance to observe and think about how fragile the mounting "hardware" is. And that lens weighed about half of what this one does. Ricoh ought to add that little tip to the instructions pamphlet.

Last edited by dlh; 02-14-2019 at 08:16 AM.
02-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree and the stress just doesn't exist when you remove the camera and lens from a tripod or monopod.

have you used or considered this type of lens sling to support a long lens in addition to the camera mount ?

Product Description

The System Connectors™ – Lens Loops support the camera from the point where it meets the lens, thereby reducing the stress on the camera’s lens mount. They can be used with OP/TECH USA’s sling-style straps, or professional neck straps when used in conjunction with a set of System Connectors™ – Extensions.

The System Connectors™ – Lens Loops fit lens mounts up to 3 1/4” (8,2 cm) in diameter and feature a rubberized sleeve that protects the equipment’s finish while preventing slippage. It also keeps the camera’s tripod socket free for use without having to be removed. Lens Loops™ come in pairs so photographers have a choice of a male or female connection option. They can be used individually or in conjunction with other The System Connectors™ for added security.

Details
Fits lens mounts up to 3 1/4" (8.2cm) in diameter
Rubberized sleeve to protect equipment finish
Helps free up tripod sockets
Contains one pair (one male and one female connector)

Lens Loops - System Connector | OP/TECH USA

Product Description
The Lens Support Adaptor™ offers a quick and easy way to provide additional support for a long heavy lens. The support straps of the Lens Support Adaptor™ incorporate rugged clamps which attach to any 1" wide webbing or seamed area commonly found on a camera strap, backpack or photo vest. The adjustable straps are joined together and attached to a self-securing hook-and-loop wrap system which fastens around the lens. Its versatile attachment system makes it adaptable to most lenses and camera straps. It can also be combined with the Hood Hat™ (not included).
Details
Supports and stabilizes longer lenses when used with a strap
Adjustable in length from 11" to 16.5" (27,9cm - 41,9cm)
Fit lenses up to 6" in diameter (15,24cm)
Materials: Nylon webbing
Contains one Lens Support Adaptor
Quick Disconnects: Yes
Made in the USA

Lens Support Adaptor - additional support for heavy lenses | OP/TECH USA

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-14-2019 at 06:07 AM.
02-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am happy to assist anyone (UK) with adding a strap eyelet to the DFA 150-450mm tripod foot msg me.

These are readily available and cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Jili-Online-Release-Tripod-Mounting/dp/B0716XWYGR

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-14-2019 at 06:54 AM.
02-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I agree and the stressjust doesn't exist when you remove the camera and lens from a tripod or monopod.

have you used or considered this type of lens sling to support a long lens in addition to the camera mount ?
I did not, though I note that the "lens sling adapter" has been discontinued. The new lens (DA 560) has built-in strap connectors, so I do plan to attach one. It's not going to be a hand-held kind of lens anyway, so the strap is only to prevent falling, and doesn't need to be comfortable. I might put a DIY adapter on the one that had self-destructed (DFA 70-200), though, taking a cue from MarcusBMG's suggestion, since the foot has two mounting holes.

02-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
One important thing I learned from the incident related in another thread (My K1 shell is cracked. Will Precision Camera replace that? - PentaxForums.com) : don't try to support the weight of the lens with the camera - don't attach the camera prior to installation of the lens on the tripod, and remove the camera from the lens before removing the lens from the tripod. And use the strap attachments, just in case. Although the lens in the case reported was defective, it gave me a chance to observe and think about how fragile the mounting "hardware" is. And that lens weighed about half of what this one does. Ricoh ought to add that little tip to the instructions pamphlet.

Read more at: 300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - Page 408 - PentaxForums.com
Thus it has always been, thus it will always be.
02-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Read more at: 300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - Page 408 - PentaxForums.com
I think the page numbers must differ on mobile. That link takes me to topics in 2013 that don't appear related.
02-14-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A while back there was a post about a dropped K1 with DFA 150-450 attached. Mount, lens and camera were broken. The pictures gave me the heebe jeebies. I changed my behavior with heavy lenses. I no longer leave a heavy lens attached to a camera if its not in hand or mounted on a stable tripod. I used to place the camera with mounted lens on the truck seat, a handy table or chair ect. Problem is any fall will result in damage because the weight of the lens will put high stress on the mount. Now I place the lens in its padded case (after market case, not the thin Pentax case, I like Lowepro and RG. ) and a small and light lens on the camera. This applies for transport and for storage both.
02-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I agree and the stress just doesn't exist when you remove the camera and lens from a tripod or monopod.

Interesting idea. I'd never heard of those lens loops before. The Lens Support Adapter doesn't look very practical to me though. Besides, with a big lens, I would rather not carry it supported from the neck. I much prefer a sling strap attached to the tripod foot on my 70-200 or 150-450.

02-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a big and heavy (and awkward) Sigma 150-500 lens, which came form the factory, with it's separate strap. I generally use my K5 with this lens, but if I carry this combo, either carry it by the lens strap, not the camera strap...or by the beefy carrying handle that is attached by Sigma to this lens. I've never carried this combo...by the K5 camera strap and therefore the camera, as I've always felt I was inviting trouble.

I have an old, large Cullman camera bag, that I bought about 35 years ago for my medium format equipment. I use it now to carry this lens and camera...with the lens and camera very well supported by individual Frank brand , foam type sponges. The camera and lens are tightly surrounded by these 'sponges' , which also absorb vibration, etc. as well as packing items very solidly.

Touch wood, but so far I've had no difficulty with either camera or the large, heavy Sigma lens by using these handling practices.

I've also attached the K5/Sigma 150-500 lens combo to my tripod, a heavy duty Leitz Tiltall. I attach it by using the Sigma lens handle...never using the body.

My rule of thumb...if the lens is big, heavy and awkward...handle the combo by the lens, either the lens strap of lens handle.

---------- Post added 02-14-19 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
A while back there was a post about a dropped K1 with DFA 150-450 attached. Mount, lens and camera were broken. The pictures gave me the heebe jeebies. I changed my behavior with heavy lenses. I no longer leave a heavy lens attached to a camera if its not in hand or mounted on a stable tripod. I used to place the camera with mounted lens on the truck seat, a handy table or chair ect. Problem is any fall will result in damage because the weight of the lens will put high stress on the mount. Now I place the lens in its padded case (after market case, not the thin Pentax case, I like Lowepro and RG. ) and a small and light lens on the camera. This applies for transport and for storage both.
Your post reminds me of what I do when carrying my big Sigma lens and K5 body , in our car, during trips...long or short. I seat belt the bag with both camera and lens tightly supported...sides, front and back, underneath by Frank foam sponges , open the top cover of the bag. The photography equipment is ready for action as I can draw out quickly and put it back relatively easily into it's supportive environment. The bag is not going anywhere, securely seat belted in the back seat.

I learned to do this through the school of hard knocks...about 40 years ago.
02-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

...don't try to support the weight of the lens with the camera...
Sadly, it has long been assumed that such is intuitively obvious and camera manuals generally don't bother stressing the matter. That aside, I remember the sad post regarding your poor K-1 and your subsequent comment regarding a defective lens whose mount area came apart (missing screws) when the lens was suspended from the camera. Such was obviously not a problem with the mount design or build quality, nor is it likely that the piece would not have separated (with the camera headed to ground) at some future date, even with very careful handling.

My rules in that regard have been pretty simple:
  • If the lens has a tripod foot, don't hang the lens from the camera
  • If the lens should have a tripod foot, don't hang the lens from the camera
  • Hanging the camera from a lens is generally OK unless heavy stuff is attached to the camera
  • Consider combined support (camera and lens) in the interest of balance
  • Depending on kit, there is a case for attaching the camera only after the lens is fully supported. I generally don't do so, but I also don't own any fiendishly heavy lenses.
All of the above being mentioned, I will note that, barring abuse or severe accident, the mount components on K-mount cameras and quality lenses are generally quite robust, are capable of withstanding many years of hard use, and are usually more sturdy that the strap lugs on the camera.

Steve
02-15-2019, 04:55 AM   #11
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sadly, it has long been assumed that such is intuitively obvious and camera manuals generally don't bother stressing the matter. That aside, I remember the sad post regarding your poor K-1 and your subsequent comment regarding a defective lens whose mount area came apart (missing screws) when the lens was suspended from the camera. Such was obviously not a problem with the mount design or build quality, nor is it likely that the piece would not have separated (with the camera headed to ground) at some future date, even with very careful handling.

My rules in that regard have been pretty simple:
  • If the lens has a tripod foot, don't hang the lens from the camera
  • If the lens should have a tripod foot, don't hang the lens from the camera
  • Hanging the camera from a lens is generally OK unless heavy stuff is attached to the camera
  • Consider combined support (camera and lens) in the interest of balance
  • Depending on kit, there is a case for attaching the camera only after the lens is fully supported. I generally don't do so, but I also don't own any fiendishly heavy lenses.
All of the above being mentioned, I will note that, barring abuse or severe accident, the mount components on K-mount cameras and quality lenses are generally quite robust, are capable of withstanding many years of hard use, and are usually more sturdy that the strap lugs on the camera.

Steve
Thanks for that excellent advice. I particularly liked your second point. And to note further regarding my own experience, I'd bought a used lens with a hidden defect - two of the five screws that hold the mounting plate on the lens were missing and the other three wouldn't hold the lens together when supporting its weight. One of those was apparently not doing anything anyway, as the threads had been stripped in the plastic thing to which the mount was attached. Someone had apparently tried to take the lens apart at some point and wasn't up to the task and sold it as used with undisclosed defects.

I have a (primitive by today's standards) milling machine, and I've been thinking of making my own support arm the base of which could be attached to the tripod, and which would have both the lens and the camera attached on top. That way, the whole shebang could be well-balanced and secure (given a beefy tripod - and my "lightweight" model will hold almost forty pounds / slightly more than 17k.). I'd have to put mounting holes in several places, though, to accommodate different lens/camera combinations. Perhaps someone's already come up with such a device and I just don't know about it. Can't decide whether I'd prefer to buy one (because that's easier) or make one (because that's more fun).

Last edited by dlh; 02-15-2019 at 05:03 AM.