Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Does anyone have K3 focus issues?

Hi all. The Auto Focus on my K3 seems very unreliable. There are no problems with live view where it is accurate. However, when I use the viewfinder I am getting a lot of back focus. This is with ALL my lenses. I have tried cleaning the contacts and the mirror but this has not rectified he issue. I have tried fine tuning the lenses but the focus issue seems to be random. It does hit focus occasionally but more than often does not. I don't remember my K30 being so bad. Is this a K3 thing? Is it worth upgrading to the KP to solve the issue? Do other DSLR brands suffer from the same issues when using the view finder to focus? Thanks.

Last edited by Alnjpn; 02-15-2019 at 08:40 PM.
02-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
Hi all. The Auto Focus on my K3 seems very unreliable. There are no problems with live view where it is accurate. However, when I use the viewfinder I am getting a lot of back focus. This is with ALL my lenses. I have tried cleaning the contacts and the mirror but this has not rectified he issue. I have tried fine tuning the lenses but the focus issue seems to be random. It does hit focus occasionally but more than often does not. I don't remember my K30 being so bad. Is this a K3 thing? Is it worth upgrading to the KP to solve the issue? Do other DSLR brands suffer from the same issues when using the view finder to focus? Thanks.
I'd suggest you may want to take some test shots and post those photos with the EXIF information intact. There should be no reason you can't focus as well with your K3 as with your K30, unless the camera has a fault.
02-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you cleaned the autofocus sensor under the mirror?
02-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have any attachment space left on here. I have tested the camera many times with many lenses. Focus accuracy through live view is good, but very often missing focus when using the view finder. This is with the same settings. I am going to try cleaning the mirror again to see if that solves it. No I haven't tried the af sensor. How do I clean that?

02-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Unfortunately, I don't have any attachment space left on here.
Do you have Google Drive or Dropbox for simple download? Another alternative is to remote host on a photosharing site such as Flickr?

Steve
02-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This may help: Dirty autofocus sensor - PentaxForums.com
02-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have any attachment space left on here.
To post photos hosted elsewhere, simply place the web address of that image between [IMG] and [/IMG] and your image will display here.

02-15-2019, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

You received already a lot very good advice IMHO.

Having a K-3 myself, and having done the mistake once: could it be that the diopter adjustment dial (of your K-3 optical viewfinder) needs to be checked and adjusted?

I might be completely wrong, but ...... might be worth a quick check,
02-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks. I will post some pics later. I have dodgy eyes and have adjusted the viewfinder. reading around it seems as though it might just be that all the lenses need microadjustment. I will try that again too.
02-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like you also have plenty of album space and gallery space if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clean the autofocus sensor, under the mirror Not the mirror itself !
02-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this (unreliable PD-AF) a K3 thing?

Er, from my experience it isn't. Coming from a K-7, I'd say, if anything, my K-3 is focusing faster and more decisively, particularly in low light (including situations where the K-7 wouldn't have been able to obtain focus at all). As far as focus accuracy is concerned, under good conditions, both are pretty spot-on, though they struggle, at varying degrees, with sophisticated tracking (haven't been able to test the PLM 55-300 yet, which is K-3 compatible and might offer some improvement). And although I haven't done any serious tests, in four and a half years of use, with a fair range of lenses, I've never felt a need to fine-tune my K-3 for front- or back-focus issues.

Therefore, my informal guess would be your issues are either due to sample variation or (perhaps more likely) dirt on the AF sensor.
02-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delay in getting back. I have been through and micro-adjusted all my lenses. This appears to have solved the issue for now. I haven't used them all in the field yet but with the ones I have, the focus is more reliable. Here are the adjustments:

DA21 f3.2 +9
DA35 f2.4 +6
DA40 XS +5
DA50 f1.8 +4
DAL 55-300 +3

Sigma 17-50 None

Sigma 10-20 None

Interestingly the adjustments get less as the focal length gets shorter - not sure why would that be.

Thanks again