Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

SMC 50mm f/1.4 issue when stopped down.

Hi I’ve been using this lens, the overall condition looks very good, however when I use an aperture between f/8 - f/22 I get two small black spots in my images, everything from f/1.4 - f/8 is perfect. What could cause this? I can’t visibly see any dirt or marks in the glass.
Thanks for any information.

It’s Not a huge issue when using it on my digital camera but kind of a pain to shoot film now. I have to keep a cpl on to keep lower f stops.

02-16-2019, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This sounds like dust on the sensor.

Try a different lens set to f/22. I'd bet you'll get the same spots in the same places on those images, too.
02-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This sounds like dust on the sensor.

Try a different lens set to f/22. I'd bet you'll get the same spots in the same places on those images, too.
When I use my digital Olympus Micro 4/3 lenses I have zero issues it’s not my camera it’s that particular lens.
02-16-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #4

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've had dust on my sensor that is barely noticeable with some focal length lenses and very apparent with others. There was just a person that had oil drops on his/her sensor and the artifacts showed very clearly with one lens but not others. Professional cleaning of the sensor solved that problem.

Anything on the lens itself that projects a noticeable shadow on the sensor would have to be fairly significant and should be very visible. Try shining a light through the lens (check both ends). If there is something there you should see it.

If you still don't see anything examine you sensor with a strong light.

02-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by JT322 Quote
when I use an aperture between f/8 - f/22 I get two small black spots in my images, everything from f/1.4 - f/8 is perfect
What you describe is typical for dust or similar on the sensor. Does your camera have a dust detection feature? If so, what does it report? For peace of mind, you might want to physically inspect your lens for dirt using a small flashlight in a dim room. Shine the light at an oblique angle into the front of the lens while looking through the lens from the rear. Repeat from the other direction. Any dust, dirt, fungus, or scratches should be readily visible.

Steve
02-17-2019, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I went ahead and just cleaned my sensor and problem solved lol, thanks for the advice. Glad it wasn’t my lens it’s my favourite!