Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #1

problem with lens

I have pentax k70 camera, I just bought an pentax FA * 24mm f2 lens. Camera can not recognize the lens. I also bought an pentax 85mm f2.8 soft lens, my camera can not recognize it also. I have pentax fa 100mm f2.8, which can be recognized by my camera. Do I need to adjust setting in the camera or my lens are not compatible with my camera. Thank you.

02-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
those lenses are compatible with your camera body:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

in case you don't have them

the manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-70.pdf

the start guide

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-70_sg.pdf

in depth review

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leejim7112 Quote
I have pentax k70 camera, I just bought an pentax FA * 24mm f2 lens. Camera can not recognize the lens. I also bought an pentax 85mm f2.8 soft lens, my camera can not recognize it also. I have pentax fa 100mm f2.8, which can be recognized by my camera. Do I need to adjust setting in the camera or my lens are not compatible with my camera. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.
When you say the camera cannot recognise the lens, what does the rear screen display when you have attached one of these two lenses?
02-19-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA*24 mm lens should certainty be recognised and behave just like a more modern lens. I would get some alcohol and clean the contacts on the lens mount and on the lens. The lens has a push pull mechanism to engage disengage the AF mechanism You push pull the focus ring. Give that a few cycles as it may be stuck in between

---------- Post added 02-19-19 at 10:34 PM ----------

The 85mm 2.8 lens has peculiarities. Which model do you have? SMC or F or FA

---------- Post added 02-19-19 at 10:55 PM ----------

The SMC (K) 85mm 2.8 (which I own) has no contacts so the camera will not recognise it. The aperture stops down when mounted on the camera so you can use this lens in Av mode. Aperture is controlled on the lens only.

The F and FA versions (which I donot own) are said to gave a semi-automatic aperture. So for some of the aperture range it will stop down in real time and for the slowest end it will operate in automatic fashion just like a modern lens. How this works with s modern camera I know not. You really need to get an answer from someone who has one. But I am not surprised there are issues with the communication. Just select the FL and test yourself how the aperture works in the different modes

---------- Post added 02-19-19 at 10:56 PM ----------

The SMC (K) 85mm 2.8 (which I own) has no contacts so the camera will not recognise it. The aperture stops down when mounted on the camera so you can use this lens in Av mode. Aperture is controlled on the lens only.

The F and FA versions (which I donot own) are said to gave a semi-automatic aperture. So for some of the aperture range it will stop down in real time and for the slowest end it will operate in automatic fashion just like a modern lens. How this works with s modern camera I know not. You really need to get an answer from someone who has one. But I am not surprised there are issues with the communication. Just select the FL and test yourself how the aperture works in the different modes

02-19-2019, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by leejim7112 Quote
The aperture ring on the 24mm has to be set to "A". If it is still not recognized, then the lens needs repairs (assuming cleaning the mount doesn't help).

Since the soft lens doesn't have an "A" setting, follow the same metering procedure as with M/K lenses:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2019, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Original Poster
problem solved. it is in the setting. use aperture ring set as disabled. cause the problem.

---------- Post added 02-19-19 at 10:17 PM ----------

Thank you for all the help.
02-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear you have it sorted!