Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with Digital Camera Utility 5.

I want to use the pixel shift resolution feature on my K70. I understand how to take pictures but can't do anything with them. I know that I should use the Digital Camera Utility software that I got with my camera. The problem is that the help file included in the software doesn't mention how to process these special pixel shifted files. I have the latest version. Is there a document or text or anything in the forum that would explain it? Can anyone help me? Is there another way to process these files? I don't have Photoshop but I do have Photoshop Elements and Lightroom. Any plugins I could use? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by VE2CJW; 02-20-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Typo.
02-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One approach you could use, is to process your pixel shift raw file with dcrawps to combine the 4 images, handle any motion blur, and produce a TIFF file which you can further process with any competent image processing tools.

Cheers,
Terry
02-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #3

If the Raw files are "standard" Pixel Shift images (as opposed to Hand Held or Dynamic PS) then as I recall DCU 5 will by default process the files properly. I'd have to switch over to my Windows 10 system to find the exact menu options.

Rawtherapee will also handle standard Pixel Shift files. I don't recall off hand which Adobe products work with Pixel Shift.
02-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the Raw files are "standard" Pixel Shift images (as opposed to Hand Held or Dynamic PS) then as I recall DCU 5 will by default process the files properly. I'd have to switch over to my Windows 10 system to find the exact menu options.

Rawtherapee will also handle standard Pixel Shift files. I don't recall off hand which Adobe products work with Pixel Shift.
Lightroom handles basic pixel shift, but not the motion version.

02-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll look into that.
02-21-2019, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Here's an interesting comparison of pixel shift in Lightroom, Silkpix, and CaptureOne. See the comparison sliders near the end.
02-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Here's an interesting comparison of pixel shift in Lightroom, Silkpix, and CaptureOne. See the comparison sliders near the end.
Excellent review, thanks for sharing.

05-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Gorgeous shots.
Have you any experience with PS and Rawtherapee?