Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Wide angle lens for K-3 II

Would like your advise and wisdom for a wide angle lens for k-3 11 . Have been reading
about the problems with the SDM . Maybe just stay with a fixed wide-angle Pentax???

arcticair

02-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you seen the new 11-18mm? Looks really promising based on what we know so far.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the first thing to do is decide what "wide angle" means to you. If you don't already know a specific focal length, try looking at other people's wide angle photos. You can also try stitching a few shots together from your widest lens to simulate a wide view. Or borrowing or renting a wide lens. Look at the field of view, but also the size of foreground and background objects. Look at the stretching of objects so the wider view fits into the sensor.

When you get a focal length in mind, you can narrow down the search. Budget is next, as some of these lenses can get expensive. Zoom or prime lenses is another choice - a lot more zooms then primes. Pentax throws you one more choice, the DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom, which uses a different projection entirely. Most people don't choose that one (I did). You can find many threads on that decision in the SLR lens section.
02-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Been using the Sigma 10-20mm DC HSM on mine for the past few years and it has performed great.... Here's where yo can see examples ….SIGMA 10-20mm CLUB - PentaxForums.com

02-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

since you live in the US, you could spend $ and rent equipment before you invest in a lens

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

as was mentioned, what do you mean by wide angle

the 15mm limited and the 21mm limited are well regarded:

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/358446-lim...#ixzz5gNZgABC3

as is the 16-85mm zoom

you can check the user and in depth reviews under " lenses " above

and you have a choice with types of ultra wide angles:

. . . Have you ever wanted more of your picture in your photographs? One of the easiest ways to get more into your pictures is to purchase and use an ultra-wide angle lens. A wide-angle lens, by definition, has a focal length shorter than the short side of the camera sensor. The APS-C sensor, used in all Pentax DSLR’s,[ except the K 1 and K 1 II ] is approximately 24 mm x 16 mm. This means that any lens with a focal length between 24mm and 16mm can be considered wide angle. An ultra-wide angle lens has a focal length less than 16mm.

When most people think of ultra-wide angle lens photographs, they imagine pictures with extreme distortion. We have all seen photographs that stretch from horizon to horizon and indeed they are distorted. All ultra-wide angle lenses provide the photographer a wider view with some distortion, which is the appeal of the ultra-wide angle lens.

Ultra-wide angle lenses come in two types: Fisheye lenses with curvilinear barrel distortion and rectilinear lenses. Fisheye lenses are very useful in some situations and can create unique photographs because of their distortion. Rectilinear lenses are designed so straight lines in a photograph will appear relatively straight and thus lack the extreme distortion that is characteristic of fisheye lenses. Fisheye lenses have their place because of the distortion but rectilinear lenses are another story. Rectilinear lenses are more versatile and they have use both in architectural and landscape photography.

Read more at: DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I recently acquired the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 via the Forum's Market Place

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sigma-10-20-comparative-review/introduction.html?src=lrdb

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2019 at 11:13 AM.
02-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Tamron 10-24, and really love it on my K3!
02-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

02-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
What do you already have, just an 18-55 kit lens? The 18-135? The 16-85? Do you want to go wider than that, or have better image quality at the wide end of your existing range?
02-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the lens I have for my k-3 11 is the da 55-300 f-45-6.3 ed plm wr re . So I woukd like to have a landscape type lens. I am concerned about the sdm and any problems

which may occur with the drive motor. Apparently there are posts about changing from sdm to screw drive. any comments would help.

Thank you
02-23-2019, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow-you only have a telephoto zoom lens and no normal FL or even modest wide angle? If so, I think it bast to first get a good all-around zoom lens incorporating very decent wide angle, like the DA 16-85mm or the very versatile DA 18-135mm lens, then later based on your more well-rounded experience, you can determine more precisely what your actual needs will be for an ultra-wide lens.

The Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 is an excellent ultra wide and uses the camera's screw driven AF- no SDM, which works very well. Then there's the fine Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 which has its own motor but is not SDM. The forthcoming Pentax DA* 11-18mm Adam has mentioned is a professional-grade lens, quite expensive, having an f/2.8 aperture and in a body of WR construction with a DC motor- not SDM. it will arrive any time of not already available.

But I would definitely recommend the all-around lens first, which can cover so much more than just telephoto and ultra wide angle, with nothing in between!
02-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, take a look at:

the DA 16-85 zoom

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6
Introduction
The HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR joined the Pentax K-mount lens lineup in late 2014 as an upper-end standard zoom lens. We find this lens to be an important addition to the Pentax APS-C system as it provides users with a highly-versatile 5x zoom range and a very wide field of view while maintaining a high standard of image quality. Simultaneously, it fills a gap in the Pentax lens lineup by competing directly with similar lenses from other brands, such Nikon's 16-85mm and Canon's 15-85mm.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ( user reviews )

or

the DA 18 -135mm zoom

Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review
Introduction
Announced in 2010, the Pentax DA 18-135 WR lens was a highly anticipated lens that has since then proven to be a Pentax favorite. Because of its compact and weather sealed construction, this lens has enjoyed immense popularity, especially when considered in conjunction with the many weather resistant cameras offered by Pentax as part of a bundled kit (more on the bundles later in this review).

Read more at: Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ( user reviews )

I think you might like them
02-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get a Pentax DA18-55 kit lens for cheap and see how you like the FOV, then go from there.
I have been using the 12-24 for years, it is fairly affordable and it shows...
Former co-worked had the Sig.10-20 on his K-5, images looked pretty darn good.
My 11-18 from B&H should be here Tuesday, will see how it performs

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-23-2019 at 03:55 PM.
02-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

there's a wide variety to choose from.....a few and mostly at the low cost end

zoom: DAL 18-55kit ( a fine underrated lens) and promaster 19-35 spectrum 7 (FF but do use on K-3ii & K-50) having the aperture ring is nice since the K-50 has the aperture failure......both offer AF/MF and are typically of low cost

prime: bower/rokinon 14/f2.8 'a' (MF), zenitar 16f2.8 fisheye (MF) and not very fishy on asp-c, DA21ltd (AF), cosina 24/f2.8 (MF)'macro' from there its 28, 35 and 40.....