Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch in focus, live view doesn't catch

Hello!

I just got a lightly used K3ii and updated it to the latest firmware. I'm fond of my M 50 f/1.7, in fact it's probably my favorite lens! I've been using CIF and through the view finder it works as expected... I can even dial the focus out, press the shutter button all the way down, start dialing the focus back in and when it's in focus, "SNAP!" Works like a treat! BUT, tonight I noticed that I can't get CIF to work in live view? It releases the shutter no matter what, when I press the button. Is there some setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

02-23-2019, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has it ever worked in Live View?

I thought CIF is a function of the PDAF (mirror) system, using the central point.
02-23-2019, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed the same, catch in focus doesn't work in LV mode. But I have never had good results with catch in focus through the viewfinder anyway. In live view mode there is better than catch-in-focus, I use focus peaking.
02-23-2019, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's viewfinder-only. CDAF requires trial-and-error and thus won't work for this purpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2019, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Has it ever worked in Live View?

I thought CIF is a function of the PDAF (mirror) system, using the central point.
You are correct. It has never been supported in live view.

Steve