Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Battery Grip vs Grip Kit for KP

I can't find any reviews for just the grip kit. I have big hands, so I am really just interested in adding the larger grip. There are plenty of battery grip kit reviews, but for over $200, I can just as easily put in a new battery.

Anyone have just the larger grip?

Thx!!

02-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,240
I don't use the grip for the extra battery - in fact, in the short time I've had a battery grip, I've never had both batteries loaded...

I use it for the extra grip and for the better ergonomics, especially in portrait mode...
02-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,787
I have not seen any aftermarket grips for the KP. Are you referring to the three sizes that are interchangeable? I know some areas of the world only came with one size, (Small,) while in the US we got all three sizes. Even if there were aftermarket grips out there, would you trust them if the weather became very bad? The KP battery grip mates up to the camera body like it was manufactured there and thus does not compromise the weather sealing. I paid MSRP less a 10% sale on Ebay from the Adorama store and I love having it when using my longer/heavier zoom lenses.

When you mount the battery grip, the camera now weighs about what the K-3 does. It is a very handy accessory that uses either battery size. (I am not writing the models down because Pentax's battery numbers look almost Identical with all the 1s lower case L's and i's.) The battery from the K-1/K-3 and the KP battery fits in the grip.

You get the large interchangeable grip with the purchase of the battery grip. I would offer my extra but I already sent it to a member in Australia. It is probably better to buy the battery grip if you can find a sale and get it as part of the deal. The large or Medium grips themselves are pricy and shipping from the US is expensive to many locations.
02-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Original Poster
It is this, it says it is a Pentax grip:

Pentax O-GP1672 Grip Kit (Large) 37175 B&H Photo Video

I am in the US, in Texas

02-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,787
QuoteOriginally posted by roxiemyhorse Quote
It is this, it says it is a Pentax grip:

Pentax O-GP1672 Grip Kit (Large) 37175 B&H Photo Video

I am in the US, in Texas
41 bucks just seems like too much. didn't your KP come with all three sizes? Or did Pentax stop providing all three in the US after a certain point in time? I ordered a year ago this month and got all three so I am curious why they would have stopped. 41 dollars is 5% of the MSRP for the whole camera!
02-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,568
It is the same high quality as the grip currently on your KP. It dfoesn’t fill your fingers the way the grip on a full-sized dSLR does but it reduces the cramped, fingertip pressing feeling when holding the KP with the right hand. I don’t hold a camera with one hand. I support the base and lens with my left hand and my right fingers really don’t do anything but press buttons, but the large grip adds comfort.
02-24-2019, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,243
Battery grips are more than an extra battery. They provide additional controls for portrait photos while providing a stale grip in that orientation. They also provide you with a slot for an extra SD card (when you forget to reload one after transfer that can be a life saver). Finally, they offer you the option of using AA batteries (which are fairly widely available) for when your proprietary batteries are exhausted. My K5iis and K3 are never without theirs.
02-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,916
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
41 bucks just seems like too much. didn't your KP come with all three sizes? Or did Pentax stop providing all three in the US after a certain point in time? I ordered a year ago this month and got all three so I am curious why they would have stopped. 41 dollars is 5% of the MSRP for the whole camera!
The KP I purchased from B&H on the most recent Black Friday {3 months ago} came with all three sizes - but I have never used anything other than the smallest one.

02-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 32
Original Poster
Thank you, I have no idea if it comes with the extra sizes. I will have to ask before I buy it.

---------- Post added 02-24-19 at 12:04 PM ----------

Just checked with B& H, it does not come with additional grips.
02-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,787
QuoteOriginally posted by roxiemyhorse Quote
Thank you, I have no idea if it comes with the extra sizes. I will have to ask before I buy it.

---------- Post added 02-24-19 at 12:04 PM ----------

Just checked with B& H, it does not come with additional grips.
I bought from Adorama and it did. If it is a US model, it generally has all three. If you buy it and it doesn't, it is only 2 or three days to get the grip. There is no additional packaging involved in the three grips with the camera so I suspect that the B and H rep did not open a box to check. I would assume that they will have all three.
02-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Thagomizer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 775
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
...Finally, they offer you the option of using AA batteries (which are fairly widely available) for when your proprietary batteries are exhausted.
The KP battery grip does give you the option of using a K3/K1 size, higher capacity battery, but does not have the AA option.

After reading here on the Forum on KP cold weather shooting tips, I got my battery grip for use in cold weather I'll likely be encountering on an upcoming trip to Yellowknife NWT. It's a bit bigger to handle (I've got smallish hands), but not unwieldy or uncomfortable. Having come from a K-S2, I've opted for the largest of the three interchangeable grips for my KP.
02-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,568
QuoteOriginally posted by roxiemyhorse Quote
Thank you, I have no idea if it comes with the extra sizes. I will have to ask before I buy it.

---------- Post added 02-24-19 at 12:04 PM ----------

Just checked with B& H, it does not come with additional grips.
Copy/Paste from the B&H webpage on the KP Body Only SKU:

In the Box
Pentax KP DSLR Camera (Body Only, Black or Silver)
O-GP167 Grip Kit (Small)
O-GP1671 Grip Kit (Medium)
O-GP1672 Grip Kit (Large)
Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-Li109 for The KR Digital SLR Camera
D-BC109 Battery Charger
AC Cord for K7 Digital SLR Camera
O-ST162 Camera Strap
Eyecup FR for K7 Digital SLR Camera (replacement)
Hotshoe Cover FK
KII Body Mount Cap
2 x Triangular Ring
Protective Cover
Battery Grip Terminal Cover
S-SW167 Software (CD-ROM)
Limited 1-Year Warranty
02-24-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,474
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Copy/Paste from the B&H webpage on the KP Body Only SKU:

In the Box
Pentax KP DSLR Camera (Body Only, Black or Silver)
O-GP167 Grip Kit (Small)
O-GP1671 Grip Kit (Medium)
O-GP1672 Grip Kit (Large)
Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-Li109 for The KR Digital SLR Camera
D-BC109 Battery Charger
AC Cord for K7 Digital SLR Camera
O-ST162 Camera Strap
Eyecup FR for K7 Digital SLR Camera (replacement)
Hotshoe Cover FK
KII Body Mount Cap
2 x Triangular Ring
Protective Cover
Battery Grip Terminal Cover
S-SW167 Software (CD-ROM)
Limited 1-Year Warranty
I concur with @monochrome, all US warranty KPs come with three grips. Are we talking about the large camera grip that comes with the KP or the battery grip that is sold separately? Pentax D-BG7 Battery Grip 38598 B&H Photo Video

The large grip should be fine for large hands if you're holding/cradling the camera 'correctly'; left palm face up underneath the lens. This is a bit awkward to do if using the battery grip, but the battery grip really helps for vertical/portrait oriented shots and adds a bit of weight for more stability.
02-24-2019, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #14
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,916
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
The KP battery grip does give you the option of using a K3/K1 size, higher capacity battery, but does not have the AA option.

After reading here on the Forum on KP cold weather shooting tips, I got my battery grip for use in cold weather I'll likely be encountering on an upcoming trip to Yellowknife NWT. It's a bit bigger to handle (I've got smallish hands), but not unwieldy or uncomfortable. Having come from a K-S2, I've opted for the largest of the three interchangeable grips for my KP.
We seem to be mixing two products here. There is a difference in function between
* the three grips packaged with the camera, which attach to the front of the camera and which cannot hold any battery
* the battery grip sold separately, which attaches to the bottom of the camera and allows the user to use an additional D-Li battery but not AA batteries.
02-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 733
I have the Large grip attached to my KP. I find it better than the other 2 but lacking as a grip. The area where the tips of your fingers 'Grip' is sculpted out so there really isn't a flat surface to hold as in a K3 or K50. I've adapted some what but also considering making a custom grip.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery grip vs, body, button, camera, controls, da*, f/2.8, grip, grip vs grip, kit, lens, lenses, pentax help, photography, reviews, shutter, troubleshooting, vs grip kit
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP and Battery Grip, aperture dial not working SteveinSLC Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 11-30-2018 06:04 PM
First Three Days with Kay Pi (KP) - KP vs. K-1 - infos and settings acoufap Pentax KP 10 05-27-2018 09:09 PM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-04-2018 09:43 AM
K-5 vs MZ-S vs LX vs PZ-1p vs ist*D vs K10D vs K20D vs K-7 vs....... Steelski Pentax K-5 2 06-28-2017 04:59 PM
Enthusiast vs Prosumer vs Semi Pro vs Pro vs APSC vs Full Frame mickyd Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 11-12-2013 07:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top