Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #31

Original Poster
Ok, So I’ve uploaded the picture to Flickr. How do I make it so you can access it?

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 07:45 AM ----------

So I uploaded the photo to a Flickr account, but out of time this morning and will have to do it tonight.

03-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
Ok, So I’ve uploaded the picture to Flickr. How do I make it so you can access it?

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 07:45 AM ----------

So I uploaded the photo to a Flickr account, but out of time this morning and will have to do it tonight.
Here are the instructions.
How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE - PentaxForums.com

For posting a picture on flickr you should read 2. Embed an off-site image
03-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I just uploaded an image to "post your best KP pictures" I followed the image size rules to the T.
Half the detail got wiped out without a doubt.
Yes, and that's my quandary.

I see you are in S.Md? I live in Baltimore, but come down to Charles county, LaPlata area a few times a year, usually in the fall and near Yule.
03-06-2019, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I found you flickr post here For Pentax forums | New Englander | Flickr

The full size version is 2320x1536

Here is the full size photo linked directly from the Flickr site :

Here is the full size photo downloaded to my computer and uploaded to this site (this website downsises it to 1359x900)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by pschlute; 03-06-2019 at 07:11 AM.
03-06-2019, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and here is the original downsized to 1359x900 by me in Photoshop then uploaded to here, followed by the same but with a little unsharp mask applied.

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 02:17 PM ----------

I cannot see much difference at all between the picture downsized by this forum and the picture I downsized myself.

I even looked at this webpage side by side with my downsized image in a photo viewer. Still not a lot of difference.

The original looks sharper because it is bigger

My suggestion is if you want to put a photo on here that you know will be downsized, then either link to it directly from Flickr so that folks can click your picture and see the full size. Or downsize your picture yourself and add some sharpening to it before uploading it here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by pschlute; 03-06-2019 at 07:18 AM.
03-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
So I found you flickr post here For Pentax forums | New Englander | Flickr

The full size version is 2320x1536

Here is the full size photo linked directly from the Flickr site :

Here is the full size photo downloaded to my computer and uploaded to this site (this website downsises it to 1359x900)
Top image definitely looks crisper to me, both the same size on my screen. Not a huge difference, maybe, but I'm seeing it.
03-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Top image definitely looks crisper to me, both the same size on my screen. Not a huge difference, maybe, but I'm seeing it.
Well the answer is in my following post. Resize and sharpen appropriately for the media it is going to be displayed on.

03-06-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #38

Original Poster
Uploaded thru Flickr. Much clearer (to me) at 800 x 530, vs 1400 x 900 thru Pentax Forum website
Attached Images

03-16-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uploaded thru Flickr. Much clearer (to me) at 800 x 530, vs 1400 x 900 thru Pentax Forum website
This is what most of the regular posters do.

Incidentally, your image from Flickr is showing here as an attachment. That a roundabout way to do it. Here's a simpler way:
1. In Flickr, open the image you want to post.
2. In the bottom right corner of the image you'll see an arrow pointing to the right, like this (circled in red):

3. Click that button and you get a box saying "Share 1 photo to:". Select the tab "BBCode". Like this:

4. Choose the size you want from the drop-down box. (Try 1024 as a good compromise.) This generates the relevant BBCode in the line above the size box (highlighted in yellow in the image above).
5. Copy the BBCode from the box. It's in three parts. The first starts "[url= ..." and ends with the first close url tag ("/url]"). This is the link to the image itself. The second is a text hyperlink to the photo on Flickr. The third is " by {user name} on Flickr". Most people just copy the first part.
6. Go the post you are creating on Pentax Forums. Paste the code into the post. (You don't need to use the "insert link" or "insert image" buttons.) It will appear as text at first, but you can see how it will look by clicking the "Preview post" button.
7. Submit the post and voila!

Last edited by Des; 03-16-2019 at 03:17 PM.
03-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
This is what most of the regular posters do.

Incidentally, your image from Flickr is showing here as an attachment. That a roundabout way to do it. Here's a simpler way:
1. In Flickr, open the image you want to post.
2. In the bottom right corner of the image you'll see an arrow pointing to the right, like this (circled in red):

3. Click that button and you get a box saying "Share 1 photo to:". Select the tab "BBCode". Like this:

4. Choose the size you want from the drop-down box. (Try 1024 as a good compromise.) This generates the relevant BBCode in the line above the size box (highlighted in yellow in the image above).
5. Copy the BBCode from the box. It's in three parts. The first starts "[url= ..." and ends with the first close url tag ("/url]"). This is the link to the image itself. The second is a text hyperlink to the photo on Flickr. The third is " by {user name} on Flickr". Most people just copy the first part.
6. Go the post you are creating on Pentax Forums. Paste the code into the post. (You don't need to use the "insert link" or "insert image" buttons.) It will appear as text at first, but you can see how it will look by clicking the "Preview post" button.
7. Submit the post and voila!
Super, thanks! I’ll give that a try next time.
03-18-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super, thanks! I’ll give that a try next time.
Happy to help. I found it all mysterious when I first started posting from Flickr a couple of years back.

I should add that some of the advantages of posting this way (rather than through an attachment or embedding the image) are:
1. Flickr does a better job of downsizing than PF does or indeed than I have been able to do myself.
2. A viewer can click on the photo posted on PF and be taken straight to the full-size image on Flickr. There they can (usually) see the date it was taken, the camera used and EXIF data like shutter speed, aperture and ISO, your description and any comments. If they have a Flickr account they can Fave the photo or comment on it. They can also take a look at your other photos on Flickr.
3. One of the rules in the Flickr Community Guidelines is "Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites. Pages on other web sites that display content hosted on Flickr must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr. This provides a way to get more information about the content and the photographer." Using the BBCode to post would seem to fulfil this requirement.