Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 01:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The switch is a dedicated on-body control for changing AF operation for AF point selection. Such a control is generally found only on professional-oriented camera designs. With lesser models such controls are buried in menus. Single point in the box means if you choose that you will have single AF center-only spot AF which is often used by experienced commentators who have posted in this thread.

SEL: means you select manually between the AF points instead of the camera choosing which of them is appropriate. Most often used with the camera on a tripod.

The green auto box means the camera will choose which AF points will be used. You can set up this mode so not all AF sensors will be available, but instead a limited number of them clustered within the central area of the frame. This would reduce the camera's likelihood of grabbing onto something not of interest but closer to the camera and off to the side.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-07-2019 at 01:06 AM.
03-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The box with the single point is what I use. It's very easy to understand - one point, right there in the middle. I am used to manually focusing, checking up on AF to see if it focused on what I want, and the potential problems with focus-recompose. So I can get it to work without thinking about the different sensitivities or areas of outer points, finding the directional buttons with my thumb, or whatever.

SEL should allow you to choose the active focus point. The problem you had is that the arrow buttons also do other things so sometimes you get the focus point moving and sometimes flash settings. You can see on the rear screen when the arrow keys will move the point - there are arrows next to the AF point display. I'd have to read the manual to figure out more. People get it to work, but people also speak Chinese and I can't do that either. Some cameras have an unbelievable numbers of points to cycle through.

Auto is easy too, just let the camera decide. It's like anything else auto. The red dots in the viewfinder will tell you what points it chose, so you know if it's chosen well. Green mode uses auto.

The camera is complicated but a lot of the complication is multiple ways to do the same task. I've been using a Pentax DSLR for 14 years and never used a lot of the stuff - like Sv mode. You don't need to be an expert on it all.
03-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
SEL should allow you to choose the active focus point. The problem you had is that the arrow buttons also do other things so sometimes you get the focus point moving and sometimes flash settings. You can see on the rear screen when the arrow keys will move the point - there are arrows next to the AF point display. I'd have to read the manual to figure out more. People get it to work, but people also speak Chinese and I can't do that either. Some cameras have an unbelievable numbers of points to cycle through.
I'll add - when the switch is set to "SEL", pressing and holding the "OK" button toggles what the arrow keys do. They will switch back and forth between moving the focus point and doing the other things (WB, Drive mode, etc.). There is a little icon in the viewfinder that lights up and shows a box with four arrows when you're in 'change focus point mode', but you can follow the simple rule - if the arrows aren't doing what you want, press and hold 'OK', and it will be ok...
03-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So, is the green auto box the one generally to use when following moving targets such as birds in flight?

Through this thread I also learned how the focus button on the back of the camera is used to lock focus, and then I can pan and have an item in focus that is off-center. I don't think I can easily change the focus points in the view finder from side-to-side, it is just too time consuming, and requires too much thought.

I appreciate all the helpful commentary.

03-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
So, is the green auto box the one generally to use when following moving targets such as birds in flight?

Through this thread I also learned how the focus button on the back of the camera is used to lock focus, and then I can pan and have an item in focus that is off-center. I don't think I can easily change the focus points in the view finder from side-to-side, it is just too time consuming, and requires too much thought.

I appreciate all the helpful commentary.
Yes, right. Choosing various focus points yourself is best for situations where your camera is stabilized as with a tripod, and your composition is such that your main area of interest to focus on is not in the center of the frame.

You can use the green auto mode for fast- moving subjects like birds in flight, and set AF-C as well, or you can also practice to be good at panning to nail your shot just at the angle you want to capture, using either spot AF or a narrower cluster of fewer AF points in the green auto mode.