Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Questions about light stand.

Hi everyone! My orders came in the other day. Have a few questions. When tilting the softbox downward is the softbox suppose to look squished in the back end?* I included some photos.

The stand seems a bit wobbly. Not sure if I would feel comfortable using this outdoors. I did place two 5lbs dumbbells on the folding legs to prevent it from falling.

Any recommendations for a sturdy stand that doesn't wobble, and is good for outdoor use? Something preferably affordable that won't break the bank.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 03-12-2019 at 02:26 PM.
03-05-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
It's hard to make out what you mean from these pictures but I think it's the Octabox/umbrella hitting the stand itself. It's tilted too far down. If you need that kind of range, you can either pull the umbrella closer to the flash, or use an additional arm that mounts to the stand.
You would have light stand connected to the arm, then the umbrella mounted to the arm.

As for having it blow over in the wind, it's just one of those things that will happen. I've been lucky and fast enough to catch mine before it crashed to the ground. I got some nylon courier pouches, filled freezer ziploc bags with sand and stuck those inside the pouches. Those are my weights. I use one for each leg. The top of the stand (mast) and softbox do move around a bit, but the legs stay where they are. The only times I had an issue was without using the pouches, and uneven surfaces. I've been in some pretty windy conditions but it's been fine. Having the umbrella open faced will spell disaster as the wind will catch the insides and yank it like a sail or kite.
03-05-2019, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The Neewer C-stands are very good stands against their cost, smetimes theyre on sale in amazon, theyre definitly more costly (less than 100usd) but cheap in the C-stand world
03-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
The Neewer C-stands are very good stands against their cost, smetimes theyre on sale in amazon, theyre definitly more costly (less than 100usd) but cheap in the C-stand world
If only their softboxes were as good. I think I know why now it wasn't fully extending in the back. Two of the extenders were broken. They should be made out of fiberglass or metal. Instead they are made from cheap hollow plastic.

03-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
If only their softboxes were as good
You get what you pay for
03-08-2019, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

If only their softboxes were as good. I think I know why now it wasn't fully extending in the back. Two of the extenders were broken. They should be made out of fiberglass or metal. Instead they are made from cheap hollow plastic.
On the Cheap/Quality, i think nothing get close to the ones Adorama Sells, the EZ Glow line, i have their deep parabolic and its very nice (miles ahead of the Neewer, quality wise)

If you need to try, give those modifiers a chance

---------- Post added 03-08-19 at 08:51 PM ----------

Point given, Neewer C-stand arent Mathews, Kupo or Avenger C-Stand, but cost less than half their cost, and the quality its good, not awesome but fair taking in mind the cost, they will last a lot of time, but arent as good looking as the other brands, but it will do the job[COLOR="Silver"]
03-08-2019, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #7

The only Neewer products I purchase are the re-branded Godox due to the price being lower on the Neewer (I have 2 Bowens S-Mounts, 2 7ft stands (with the quick locks instead of the twist locks) and a collapsible softbox (24"/60cm). I haven't had any issues with them in 2 years. The stands you can tell are not the best quality but they do the job. I've used them outdoors in windy conditions with the softbox mounted but I use sand bags for the feet. The top sways around but the weight keeps them planted. Due to the inner workings of umbrellas, I'd pay the extra money for higher quality.

Last edited by Kobie; 03-08-2019 at 07:37 PM.
03-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The only Neewer products I purchase are the re-branded Godox due to the price being lower on the Neewer (I have 2 Bowens S-Mounts, 2 7ft stands (with the quick locks instead of the twist locks) and a collapsible softbox (24"/60cm). I haven't had any issues with them in 2 years. The stands you can tell are not the best quality but they do the job. I've used them outdoors in windy conditions with the softbox mounted but I sand bags for the feet. The top sways around but the weight keeps them planted. Due to the inner workings of umbrellas, I'd pay the extra money for higher quality.
I just had a look at the Godox version it looks identical to the broken one I have.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 03-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.
03-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

I just had a look at the Godox version it looks identical to the broken one I have.
Oh man! It's plastic fingers?!! The convertible umbrella I have (I don't have a parabolic and I also don't recall the company name of my umbrella) is all metal with a solid metal rod. I'm actually shocked that they used plastic for the insides given their function of tension and collapsing when the umbrella is folded up. Wow!

---------- Post added 03-08-19 at 09:50 PM ----------

I just looked up some other parabolic umbrellas and they all are either plastic of some sort of composite material (like a fishing rod). I never actually noticed that before.
Unfortunately manufacturing defects can and do happen as well. Can send it back as a warranty case for replacement? It should have come with a card from Neewer in case there's any issues. They seem pretty responsive (at least on social media).