Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Images coming out completely white with purple streaking? k-50 help?

wondering if anyone has seen something like this. Tried different lenses, manual settings, auto, all kinds of different aperture and iso and shutter speed settings while trying to photography some miniatures yesterday and after a while the problem seemed to resolve on its own with the white areas eventually showing the correct image and then the purple streaks disappearing eventually as well. Don't think it's an issue with the display or memory card because old photos on the card display properly. This morning I go to use it and it's back to the same issue. This is a K-50 which sat unused under my desk at home for a year and a half maybe. Battery was dead with camera in the on position when I found it, charged the battery and this is where I'm at now. Any thoughts?

03-07-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still think your SD card is failing. Format it or try a new one.
03-07-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I still think your SD card is failing. Format it or try a new one.
ok I should have another SD card around that I can try. Will do that tonight and report back.
03-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good luck!

03-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like an SD card. I had one fail and got the same thing.
03-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordeaux789 Quote
...Don't think it's an issue with the display or memory card because old photos on the card display properly...
It's likely a memory card. Memory cards can have a mix of good and bad portions. The old photos could be on a good portion while new photos are getting written to a bad portion.

The actual display is probably okay because the status info overlaid on the image is good.
03-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The actual display is probably okay because the status info overlaid on the image is good.
I think you are right, but it seems odd that the EXIF info is still readable and the image is not. By the way, am I the only one who initially read "Images coming out completely white with people streaking" instead of "purple streaking" in the thread title?

03-07-2019, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People streaking would surely make for more interesting images.

After getting a good SD card, of course.
03-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
K, so i tried another memory card and no dice. Same issue. both memory cards work fine in another camera (old cannon power shot i had laying around). reset camera to default settings. tried a bunch of different conditions and was getting nothing but shots similar to pic earlier in the thread. here's the thing though, eventually it started to work normally. however, after going away and coming back, the condition returned. these two pics are same everything except taken about 20 minutes apart. formatted card, updated firmware, nothing. same issues.

here's a working image after messing around with the camera for an hour or so

here's a similar shot of the same thing under the same conditions 20 minutes later after having to leave to do something else.
03-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

One thing to check- does the same problem happen with raw files, and does your live view display look OK?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One thing to check- does the same problem happen with raw files, and does your live view display look OK?
wow ok so this this is interesting. raw files look the same. I never use live view so didn't even turn it on until you suggested it, and something crazy happens. live view is completely white as though it's super blown out, camera auto sets shutter speed to like 1/5000. photos come out completely black though.

however, after turning live view off, photos seem to come out normally again.

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 10:09 PM ----------

now the live view is like strobing pure white and then the normal view.
03-07-2019, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds to me like the camera has some serious issues, unfortunately. Could be a connectivity problem with the sensor / main board, not sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2019, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe try another known good battery. Lithium cells can have issues if 100% discharged and left that way over long periods. You can also try using a good quality battery charger that does battery conditioning to see if that makes a difference.
03-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
Maybe try another known good battery. Lithium cells can have issues if 100% discharged and left that way over long periods. You can also try using a good quality battery charger that does battery conditioning to see if that makes a difference.
thanks for the suggestion. I have a new battery on order but won't arrive until Sunday. The battery did sit without charging in a chilly room for nearly 2 years so you could be onto something. I sure hope so, because an otherwise dead camera would be a bummer.
03-08-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordeaux789 Quote
thanks for the suggestion. I have a new battery on order but won't arrive until Sunday. The battery did sit without charging in a chilly room for nearly 2 years so you could be onto something. I sure hope so, because an otherwise dead camera would be a bummer.
Wow! hopefully that will do the trick.

I always rotate my batteries among my camera bodies, including spare batteries. Good idea to have a spare with the smaller battery models. They run low much sooner than camera models using the larger D-LI90.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-08-2019 at 03:36 PM.