Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

is it possible to use DA 12-24mm lens on k-50 with aperture block problem?

there is a situation here: got a great deal - 230 euros for SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF], but at the same time discovered that my k-50 has aperture block problem. before i used only old manual focus lenses and Sigma 28-200mm 1:3.8-5.5 UC Aspherical, but it's aperture ring never wasn't used on auto, therefore no problems occured. the owner gave me the 12-24mm lens to test for few days, so is there any camera setting which makes possible to use this lens despite aperture block?

03-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without an aperture ring, I don't believe so. It will always shoot fully stopped down I believe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
there is a situation here: got a great deal - 230 euros for SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF], but at the same time discovered that my k-50 has aperture block problem. before i used only old manual focus lenses and Sigma 28-200mm 1:3.8-5.5 UC Aspherical, but it's aperture ring never wasn't used on auto, therefore no problems occured. the owner gave me the 12-24mm lens to test for few days, so is there any camera setting which makes possible to use this lens despite aperture block?
You can try AA battery holders. This sometimes helps for a while. But ultimately it will need repair or replacement. DIY instructions exist in several threads.
03-09-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

my fix of the K-30 aperture problem without disassembly: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

^ Try that fix. It's not a permanent fix, but it might work for a while. It's easy to do.

03-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-30 failed. With DA lenses the only properly exposed photos are wide open aperture. The camera does not stop down the lens if shooting at maximum aperture.
03-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
!thank you everyone for all the info. just realized that i got this camera already with aperture condition. the guy who sold it for 300 euros exactly 10 months ago didn't tell about aperture failure as well as about the 50'000 shots, which i found out very soon, but already didn't want to give camera away, it was in excellent condition and very handy. first check with sigma lens was done with auto aperture on, shots were way too dark, but at that time i still wasn't sure about the camera settings and thought i misused some fonctions and just went manual, as working with aperture ring is natural to me and letting camera to control it always is suspicious to certain level
however i'm thinking about buying the 12-24mm lens anyway, the price is too good. then to wait AAbattery holder for quick fix and then need to get the correct white solenoid. i have few tech people in mind whom i could ask about it. if financial situation would be better, used k-3 body from ebay could save the world. it will eventually somewhen in future. first thought was k-5, but it has no use for PLM lenses, and next on my shopping list is exactly that 55-300mm glass.
anyway i just can't get it why pentax/ricoh risked to save few dollars like this, it couldn't work well anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Without an aperture ring, I don't believe so. It will always shoot fully stopped down I believe.
thanks for quick reply. after a series of tests, indeed it does always go to f22 unfortunately.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You can try AA battery holders. This sometimes helps for a while. But ultimately it will need repair or replacement. DIY instructions exist in several threads.
interestingly i ordered one just a week ago, because the original battery now holds only 150 shots with manual focus lenses. will try this definitely. thank you for the advise!

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
my fix of the K-30 aperture problem without disassembly: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

^ Try that fix. It's not a permanent fix, but it might work for a while. It's easy to do.
!thanks. i tried this all day but without any success. maybe it's more damaged, than just lightly stuck. but i will try the AA adapter, perhaps that change can trigger some good results.

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
My K-30 failed. With DA lenses the only properly exposed photos are wide open aperture. The camera does not stop down the lens if shooting at maximum aperture.
good that it works for you! here it closes even if wide open, but i figured how to do normal shots with f22. this is not a solution, just a way to check if this particular lens is optically ok.
03-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As for AA, make sure to use recharge ni-mh batts.

03-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As for AA, make sure to use recharge ni-mh batts.
of course, the non rechargeable batteries are for millionaires
03-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And I will insert my two cents into the thread too. My daughter is using my K-30 with the broken aperture that I used for a year before I gave it to her a year ago with the AA adapter and Eneloops, rechargeable batteries. Two years it's been running fine this way. I don't know how why people keep saying this isn't a permanent fix when mine is still working this way. Albeit, I will say, maybe not all broken K-30/K-50s will be permanently fixed with the AA adapter. Maybe I just got lucky that mine is still functioning.
03-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And I will insert my two cents into the thread too. My daughter is using my K-30 with the broken aperture that I used for a year before I gave it to her a year ago with the AA adapter and Eneloops, rechargeable batteries. Two years it's been running fine this way. I don't know how why people keep saying this isn't a permanent fix when mine is still working this way. Albeit, I will say, maybe not all broken K-30/K-50s will be permanently fixed with the AA adapter. Maybe I just got lucky that mine is still functioning.
It isn't considered permanent since most others report it only works for a short time. Yours seems the outlier.
03-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Aperture control on my K-30 started failing in May 2018; by October 2018 it worked correctly only on partially charged AA batteries, which are good for just a few shots. For me, this wasn't anything I would call a "permanent cure".
03-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Aperture control on my K-30 started failing in May 2018; by October 2018 it worked correctly only on partially charged AA batteries, which are good for just a few shots. For me, this wasn't anything I would call a "permanent cure".
I did say it doesn't work for everyone, but it has worked as a permanent solution for mine using Eneloops 2100Mhz rechargeables.
03-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did say it doesn't work for everyone, but it has worked as a permanent solution for mine using Eneloops 2100Mhz rechargeables.
This is true but to be fair you did say you didn't understand why people said it wasn't permanent. I think that it is interesting that not everyone has the same results from this method.
03-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is true but to be fair you did say you didn't understand why people said it wasn't permanent. I think that it is interesting that not everyone has the same results from this method.
Well, I shouldn't have said, I didn't understand why people said it wasn't a permanent solution but I will say, you never know if it isn't unless you try it yourself, either.
03-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I shouldn't have said, I didn't understand why people said it wasn't a permanent solution but I will say, you never know if it isn't unless you try it yourself, either.
Excellent advice. Honestly you are the first person I have heard have longer term success with this method and it is encouraging. Maybe fewer people tried it because it was said to be temporary only - at least now some more people may have hope.