Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

K-10D firmware update

I'm trying to update the firmware on my K-10D from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 so that I can use SDHC cards with it. I used the Download for Windows link on the Ricoh site at http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html.
This has provided me with an file called k10e131w.EXE, and not a file with a .bin extension which I had been expecting. What I don't know is whether I can now copy this EXE file to an SD card for inserting into the camera in order to proceed with the firmware update. I would really like to avoid ruining the camera! Can someone talk me through the procedure step-by-step as I've never done this sort of thing before? Any advice appreciated.

03-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I recall correctly you run that exe and extract the bin file then put that bin file on the card.

Look here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html they detail the process on that page.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-10-2019 at 07:09 AM.
03-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcuse Quote
I'm trying to update the firmware on my K-10D from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 so that I can use SDHC cards with it. I used the Download for Windows link on the Ricoh site at http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html.
This has provided me with an file called k10e131w.EXE, and not a file with a .bin extension which I had been expecting. What I don't know is whether I can now copy this EXE file to an SD card for inserting into the camera in order to proceed with the firmware update. I would really like to avoid ruining the camera! Can someone talk me through the procedure step-by-step as I've never done this sort of thing before? Any advice appreciated.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If I recall correctly you run that exe and extract the bin file then put that bin file on the card.
Precisely. Double-click the .exe file. A .bin file will be extracted. Ensure there is no “2” in the .bin filename and move the .bin file to the root directory on the SD card, then follow the procedure for updating the K10D Firmware (Fresh battery, etc.)
03-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Still a problem. When I double click on the .exe file I get a User Account Control pop-up which says "Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?" When I click on Yes I get aa nother pop-up headed WinSFX32M V2.80.5.12 which shows Install Directory "C:\Users\Marcus\Downloads". Clicking on Ok seems to do nothing. I've tried this several times but still nothing happens. I'm flummoxed. Any other ideas?

03-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

I would do a search for K10D firmware update and back focusing as there are some people that have issues with back focusing after the upgrade. I don't recall which specific upgrade caused the back focusing but you may want to be prepared.
03-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Right-click on the EXE file, choose run as Administrator.
03-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an FYI, firmware v. 1.30 (your existing firmware) already allows SDHC cards.

03-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your comment paulh. The reason why I was wanting to update from v. 1.30 to 1.31 was because I had experienced problems with my a SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC card suddenly failing to save images when it must only have been about half full (I'd been saving as JPEGs rather than RAW). I then saw on the Ricoh firmware download page that v. 1.31 gives "Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC memory card", hence my deducing that v. 1.30 was no good for SDHC cards. So could my problem have been that the card that I was using was merely rather tired and worn out? Does this sort of thing happen?
03-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your comment paulh. The reason why I was wanting to update from v. 1.30 to 1.31 was because I had experienced problems with my a SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC card suddenly failing to save images when it must only have been about half full (I'd been saving as JPEGs rather than RAW). I then saw on the Ricoh firmware download page that v. 1.31 gives "Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC memory card", hence my deducing that v. 1.30 was no good for SDHC cards. So could my problem have been that the card that I was using was merely rather tired and worn out? Does this sort of thing happen?
Have you reformatted the card in-camera recently? Be sure to copy any images from the card beforehand, as they will be erased during reformatting. The card may be failing, but I would try to refresh the card with a reformat first.
03-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks paulh, I've reformatted the card and it works ok now but of course I won't be able to see if it packs up again probably till a few hundred frames have been through the camera. I'm going to invest in a couple of new cards just in case, plus I'll carry my K100d as a backup next time I'm away. Thanks again for your input.
Marcuse
03-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Still a problem. When I double click on the .exe file I get a User Account Control pop-up which says "Do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?" When I click on Yes I get aa nother pop-up headed WinSFX32M V2.80.5.12 which shows Install Directory "C:\Users\Marcus\Downloads". Clicking on Ok seems to do nothing. I've tried this several times but still nothing happens. I'm flummoxed. Any other ideas?
So after clicking OK, when you go to the download folder, it's not in there? Or do you mean you're expecting it to run after clicking OK and nothing happens?