Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Image shifts sideways during focus with DA 16-85mm, is this much normal?

Hi,

I acquired a used Pentax HD DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens and put it on my K-70, first thing I noticed was the image in the viewfinder shifting during focus, both manual and auto.

In manual focus, the image shifts when you change the direction of focus ring. The same happens in auto focus but it's much quicker like a jitter.

Hopefully the sample videos will show you what I mean. Video 1 shows manual focus at max enlargement, Video 2 shows auto focus.

I've never had this before so I'm worried that possibly this lens is damaged and the focusing lens is decentering differently depending on which direction it is moving. But I'm also open minded enough to accept this is normal behavior for this lens if others also get it.

What yo you all reckon?

Thanks,
Stu

Attached Files
File Type: mpeg FocusShift1-converted.mpeg (959.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: mpeg FocusShift2-converted.mpeg (984.3 KB, 34 views)
03-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spayton Quote
Hi,

I acquired a used Pentax HD DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens and put it on my K-70, first thing I noticed was the image in the viewfinder shifting during focus, both manual and auto.

In manual focus, the image shifts when you change the direction of focus ring. The same happens in auto focus but it's much quicker like a jitter.

Hopefully the sample videos will show you what I mean. Video 1 shows manual focus at max enlargement, Video 2 shows auto focus.

I've never had this before so I'm worried that possibly this lens is damaged and the focusing lens is decentering differently depending on which direction it is moving. But I'm also open minded enough to accept this is normal behavior for this lens if others also get it.

What yo you all reckon?

Thanks,
Stu
That's certainly peculiar. Is the front end of the lens loose?
03-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine does something similar when changing the direction of focus at 16mm. I've had the lens for over a year, it's sharp and never had an issue. It's only visible with magnification in live view.

Last edited by aaacb; 03-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.
03-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the battery display is depleted/dead.....maybe try with a fresh battery?

03-10-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

@spayton,

Stu, welcome to Pentax Forums! Sorry that your introduction deals with a possible fault with your lens.

I don't have that particular lens, so I can't offer much assistance. However, I believe a similar problem was mentioned by two members at this thread (in 2016 and 2018); see posts 16 and 19: experiences with 16-85mm - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

One of the previous posters was @BigMackCam (also from the UK), who is very active in this forum.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-10-2019 at 06:18 PM.
03-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

MarkJerling: Yes the front lens is a little loose, it has some movement, is that fixable?

aaacb: yes, despite this movement images mostly remain the same sharpness, there's a little change to softness in one corner

Aaron28: it does the same with fully charged batteries, well spotted though

c.a.m: yes an all too common 1st post asking for help. I've used this forum for much research prior to deciding upon a k-70, there's a huge amount of info here. The video link in post #19 shows pretty much the same thing, even the shifting direction is the same

it's looking like it's a problem seen before, doesn't always affect image sharpness but its quite annoying, especially when I want to do manual max magnification focusing on stars at night.

Fixing the loose front end may help, is this doable as a home repair?
03-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you may want to review this thread first

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
03-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spayton Quote
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

MarkJerling: Yes the front lens is a little loose, it has some movement, is that fixable?

aaacb: yes, despite this movement images mostly remain the same sharpness, there's a little change to softness in one corner

Aaron28: it does the same with fully charged batteries, well spotted though

c.a.m: yes an all too common 1st post asking for help. I've used this forum for much research prior to deciding upon a k-70, there's a huge amount of info here. The video link in post #19 shows pretty much the same thing, even the shifting direction is the same

it's looking like it's a problem seen before, doesn't always affect image sharpness but its quite annoying, especially when I want to do manual max magnification focusing on stars at night.

Fixing the loose front end may help, is this doable as a home repair?
I don't know if it's fixable or not. But yes, you're right - your video and that of the poster in the 2016 thread almost certainly shows the same thing.

03-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My 16-85mm does the same but it doesn't seem to be a big problem. It also occasionally misses focus but I'm not sure if the two are related. Focus in live view is perfect. There's nothing loose on the lens (at least externally).
03-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
With full zoom extension, of the 3 barrel sections, it is the most front facing section that has a little play in it. I'll do some tests to see if image quality changes depending on the movement of this section.