Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3ii sees all lenses as manual lenses

Just checking to see if anyone has seen this problem and has any idea if there is a quick fix for it.

The I dropped my K-3ii today while it was in a lightly padded bag from about 3ft. I did not think too much of it since it was in the bag. I had the DA 70mm F2.4 lens mounted. And when I turned on the camera it asked for the focal length. This was odd and then when I pressed the AF button on the back nothing happened. I tried the D-FA 28-105 and the K-3ii did not recognize it either. It does not recognize any AF lens. The camera does not recognize the aperture of any lens either. The lenses work just fine n my K-50 so I am pretty sure it is the camera body that has the problem. The camera shutter count is at Camera Shutter Count is 40,382.

If there are no quick fixes and no convincing "it is dead, let it rest in peace" verdicts, I will probably send it in for repair.

My immediate problem is that I am travelling on a student tour to Europe in a week and a half my wife leads and I help to chaperone. Any repairs will take longer than that. The K-3ii is a great camera for this. I am not overly excited about using my old K-50 and I do have film cameras that I could also take but these are not as immediate. The K-50 is fine for many of the people shots but not as great for the scenery or architectural shots.

Any thoughts on the repairs options or the travel options would be appreciated.

03-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It doesn't sound good. Since you tried different lenses it must be something. Do you see any obvious mount damage?

So it shows the aperture (rather than "F--") and it is just the AF that is messed up? Change up the modes (turn all the dials and switches back and forth), especially the focus setting, make sure they are not on a middle setting or the switch just needs a tweak or something.

Does it work at all if you put it in total auto green mode?

Try a factory reset to default settings and see if it helps.
03-10-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the mount. Also try renting a camera body maybe the kp?
03-10-2019, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you try removing the battery for a few seconds? Just a possibility.

03-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the ground wire came off the mount, the camera would act like that. I haven't done this myself so I don't know if there are any cautions about removing the mount to take a look.
03-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably just a Gremlin

Turn off, take out the battery, restart.
03-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also try tightening the screws on the lens mount. I had a similar thing happen to my K-3 and tightening the screws restored AF operation.

Regards

Chris

03-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #8

Try cleaning the contacts with a microfiber cloth. Try switching from AF to MF several times.

The cautions of removing the lens mount on the body would be:
Use a JIS cross driver
Take care not to break the grounding wire attached to the ring.
Take care that the spring loaded contacts do not pop out
Take care that the above contacts and mounting screws do not fall into the mirror box

If the grounding wire is broken you may be able to temporarily reattach it by putting it between the ring and body. Better option would be to solder it in place.
03-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Check the mount. Also try renting a camera body maybe the kp?
I would recommend the possibility of renting equipment

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I just contacted LenRentals.com to determine what restrictions if any are placed on taking their equipment to another country

was told no restriction but they recommend getting their best " protection plan "

I just got this email from Lensrentals.com

Hello Spring Sale!

Get 15% off your order when it arrives by the end of March.

Code: SPRING19

RENT NOW