Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax KP with Elinchrom D-lite/ El Skyport Eco dosn't trigger quicker than 1/160

Hi folks. I have x2 elinchrom strobes but need to trigger with the KP. So far I have got the Eye-cell to trigger in slave with good results. Ideally I would like to trigger them remotely. The elinchrom EL-Skyport Transmitter Eco sometimes works but has some sort of difficulty in triggering the strobes. In manual @ 1/160 second or slower the kp it works. Setting the kp to 1/200 second the elinchroms don't tigger.
Any ideas?

03-12-2019, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
Hi folks. I have x2 elinchrom strobes but need to trigger with the KP. So far I have got the Eye-cell to trigger in slave with good results. Ideally I would like to trigger them remotely. The elinchrom EL-Skyport Transmitter Eco sometimes works but has some sort of difficulty in triggering the strobes. In manual @ 1/160 second or slower the kp it works. Setting the kp to 1/200 second the elinchroms don't tigger.
Any ideas?
Yeah, lag in their system, Martin, not up to the speed the Pentax is capable of.

Just shoot at 1/125s as a lot of pros do to make sure they get the shot.
03-12-2019, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, years ago they used to advertise a sync speed of up to 1/1000s. I wrote to their customer support repeatedly. Finally got one of their technical engineers who agreed their calculations were off. 1/125 to 1/160 range was the fastest one could reliably get their triggers to work.
In most cases the lower shutter speed won't matter... but when it does, you're just out of luck.
03-13-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

If you set up your camera originally by leaving the ambient/existing light out (setting up camera for a dark frame), then the action of your subject will usually be recorded. Otherwise, if you are in need of the background/ambient light, then using the approximately 160 speed or below in the best way possible is your option. The use of a 3 stop ND or more may help in setting up the light. Radio triggers may be helpful. I currently use Cactus V5 triggers. When I use my Godox AD600BM, I also have the Godox XPro-P trigger to have control over its power remotely and have HSS available if needed.

03-13-2019, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
Setting the kp to 1/200 second the elinchroms don't tigger.
The KP's flash sync speed is 1/180s. Setting the shutter speed to 1/200s is outside the sync speed, so no signal is even passed through the hot shoe. Most cameras have an X on their mode dial, indicating the shutter speed will be set to the maximum sync speed. The KP doesn't have this so you have three options:
1) Use 1/160.
2) Change your EV increments to 1/2 stops instead of 1/3, giving you 1/180 as a standard shutter speed option.
3) Possibly setting one of your user modes (U1 - U5) to 1/2 stop EV increments. Because your camera doesn't have a flash sync (X) mode on the dial, rotate the dial to a user mode set to 1/2 stops to use your max sync speed.

I know it's not 1/200, and 1/180 isn't very different from 1/160, but that's the fastest the KP can do.
03-13-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
The KP's flash sync speed is 1/180s. .
hehe, didn't think of that. Good catch on the details. I'm already used to 1/200 with the K1 as being "normal".
All Pentax cameras (at least the digital ones) are hard wired to disable the non-PTTL flash pin when shutter speed is faster than the sync speed.
03-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for you the info, very helpful.