Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help… Mysterious problem and tale of woe with my HD 90mm

Help! I have a 645z with a 90mm macro lens, which cannot use its shake reduction feature!

I have both the 90mm and 28-45mm lenses which both have shake reduction built into the lens. With the 28-45mm it works fine and works predictably with the settings, including options 1 and 2 in the C menu, and then when I put on the 90mm I get nothing, the shake reduction icon always displays, “off”, every picture I take with it says the shake reduction was off in the EXIF data, the shake reduction does not turn when the shutter button is halfway depressed and option 2 is selected,(this is supposed to activate shake reduction to stabilize your view through the viewfinder).

I assumed that the 90mm lens needed to be repaired; I thought this was a very evident conclusion, so I had it sent away for repairs for over $500 and have now had 2 separate parties that have given the lens a clean bill of health.

But after the repair and months of shipping it back and forth, I still get nothing from the lens!!!

So now I am wondering if it could possibly be the camera body?

I had assumed it was the lens because the camera body does fine with the 28-45.

If anyone has any ideas of what I could try before I send the camera and lens away for repairs it would be appreciated.

The only idea I had to explain why one lens is working and the other one not working was dirty contacts. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens thoroughly to no avail. Additionally the 28-45 when you power on the camera makes a minute chirping/buzzing noise, this is normal behavior and it is supposed to be present in the 90mm, but it is not. All other functions of the 90mm work, (which would be the focus limiter switch and the manual/autofocus switch),

So I am bamboozled by it, any ideas anyone?

03-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Disclaimer : i don't have the lens.

Did you choose the 2sec timer, or 10 sec timer ? could be deactivating automaticaly the SR (as SR tend to be messy when on tripod).

Did you use a low shutter speed (like 1/250 or lower) ? Maybe SR get deactivated when deemed not necessary (strange but who nows ?).
03-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
So I am bamboozled by it, any ideas anyone?
Did the SR feature of these lenses used to work with your camera? According to your camera manual...

QuoteQuote:
The Shake Reduction function is automatically turned off when Self-timer, Remote Control, Interval Movie Record, or Mirror Lock-up Shooting is set.
Does the lens manual offer any clues? SR option set to other than "1" in C4 menu?

Steve
03-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Disclaimer : i don't have the lens.

Did you choose the 2sec timer, or 10 sec timer ? could be deactivating automaticaly the SR (as SR tend to be messy when on tripod).

Did you use a low shutter speed (like 1/250 or lower) ? Maybe SR get deactivated when deemed not necessary (strange but who nows ?).
Shake reduction is disabled in several camera settings, including mirror up mode, remote control mode, timer mode, etc. but regardless of the settings, I have never gotten the 90mm to show any signs that it is using its shake reduction. I can use the 28-45mm, have it using its shake reduction and without changing any settings put on the 90mm and get nothing from it, so it can't be a camera settings or else it shouldn't be working on the 28-45, unless there is some setting that only applies to the 90 and not the 28-45 but I've tried tons of different settings and they all work as expected and explained in the manuals with the 28-45 So not unless there is some hidden setting that disables shake reduction on the 90mm but not on the 28-45, but I can't find any such setting listed in the lens or camera manuals.

---------- Post added 03-13-19 at 09:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did the SR feature of these lenses used to work with your camera? According to your camera manual...

Does the lens manual offer any clues? SR option set to other than "1" in C4 menu?

Steve
They are both supposed to work with the camera and the 28-45 does as expected and explained in the manuals. The 90mm lens that I have does not. I have never even gotten a flicker of a sign that it was even attempting to use its shake reduction feature. As I have mentioned up above, I can have the SR working on the 28-45, then changing no settings put on the 90 and get nothing so if it is a setting it would have to be a setting that only applies to the 90mm, but I can't find any mention of any such setting in the manuals.
I've tried both "1" and "2" in the C menu and there is nothing that I can find in the manuals. Everything works as I think it should with the 28-45 and nothing I try works with the 90mm. This makes me think it is a bad lens, but I have had it verified by two parties that it is apparently working when they test it on other cameras.

04-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm having the same issue with my 28-45mm; I wonder how widespread this is?
05-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've tried both "1" and "2" in the C menu and there is nothing that I can find in the manuals. Everything works as I think it should with the 28-45 and nothing I try works with the 90mm.
The 90mm should make a quick buzz/chirp/tick at power on of the camera. It can be very subtle. You can also look through the optical viewfinder when you power on the camera - and you will see the scene move a tiny bit when the SR motor kicks in. If the scene doesnt move, and there is no sound, then the lens is not working.

I found that the "Shaky Hand Icon" in the display can be confusing. It does NOT mean that you have an SR lens with SR switch turned ON. It means the SR motors are running or not.

What it actually means is:
Shaky Hand ON = SR is actively optically stabilizing the lens - the mechanism is energized, and you can see through the viewfinder that the target is not bouncing around much.
Shaky Hand OFF = SR is not doing anything, even if it is turned on/enabled.

OFF can mean that it is disabled OR it is not actually running the lens SR mechanism right now.
ON only means that the SR motors are actually moving the lens around right this moment.

The camera has to reach focus (or start trying to focus) before it will start actually powering on the SR mechanism.

SR stays running for about 10 seconds after you let go of the shutter halfway. Then it goes OFF again, and icon changes.

Here's how to check it out easily:

Set Menu C4 28 = 2 so that SR comes on when you depress the shutter button halfway.
Put LV on by hitting the Red Dot button next to the trashcan.

You'll see a live image, but the Shaky Hand Icon will be OFF.
Aim the camera at something a bit distant (a fence post or something 20 feet or so away).

Depress the shutter button halfway.
After the camera finishes autofocusing, you should see the fence post stabilizes and the Shaky Hand Icon come ON.

I don't like the way this works, but it seems to be correct.

This makes me think it is a bad lens, but I have had it verified by two parties that it is apparently working when they test it on other cameras.
Was this a new lens and/or under warranty, and did it go to a Ricoh authorized service center?
Did you contact them right away after receiving the supposedly repaired lens?

When mine camer back from service, the tech comment on the worksheet said: "Replaced SR mechanism + lens barrel. Checked cleaned + adjusted". You might asked them what they did to fix it, if that wasnt on the work order/repair invoice.

Some other things to try if it doesn't go:

You might also check if you have the latest firmware in your camera v1.30
Power off the camera, unmount the lens. Power on the camera with no lens. Power off. Remount your lens. Power on, try again.

Write down your custom settings, and reset the camera.
05-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was told that macro lenses worked better without SR, although Sigma's current macros have it.

05-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I was told that macro lenses worked better without SR,
Who told you that? Never listent to them again about any topic.

05-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I found the advice, not in my K3ii manual, but in my K5 one, SR must improved since then.