Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter Count Issue With Pentax K-50.

After fully charging a Pentax OEM battery and installing it into my Pentax k-50, the shots remaining displayed a total of 849. The SDHC Card I have in the camera is a class 10, 64GB card with a write speed of 85mb/s. I decided to see for myself the number of shots I would get. When the count in the display reached zero, the shutter would not activate. I failed to mention that I had Formatted the card prior to taking all of these shots and then tried to activate the shutter and I received the message, "No Image."

Again, I fired off all of the images that I could and then uploaded them into my computer. Surprisingly, the actual number of images uploaded was: 1,109. That is precisely 260 more actuations than I expected. I again recharged the same battery to full capacity and with the shots remaining total again at 849, I went ahead and fired until I ran out of ammo. I uploaded the images and the count was now 1,092. How is this possible?

Many thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Cheers,

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 03-15-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Error Correction.
03-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
After fully charging a Pentax OEM battery and installing it into my Pentax k-50, the shots remaining displayed a total of 849. The SDHC Card I have in the camera is a class 10, 64GB card with a write speed of 85mb/s. I decided to see for myself the number of shots I would get. When the count in the display reached zero, the shutter would not activate. I failed to mention that I had Formatted the card prior to taking all of these shots and then tried to activate the shutter and I received the message, "No Image."

Again, I fired off all of the images that I could and then uploaded them into my computer. Surprisingly, the actual number of images uploaded was: 1,109. That is precisely 300 more actuations than I expected. I again recharged the same battery to full capacity and with the shots remaining total again at 849, I went ahead and fired until I ran out of ammo. I uploaded the images and the count was now 1,092. How is this possible?

Cheers,

Tony
The amount of available shots remaining is calculated based on an average sized image file. If your images take up less space - perhaps because they're all taken at base ISO (with very little noise) or there isn't much fine detail in them, or there's a limited colour palette - you'll get more shots than the estimate
03-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Again, I fired off all of the images that I could and then uploaded them into my computer. Surprisingly, the actual number of images uploaded was: 1,109. That is precisely 300 more actuations than I expected. I again recharged the same battery to full capacity and with the shots remaining total again at 849, I went ahead and fired until I ran out of ammo. I uploaded the images and the count was now 1,092. How is this possible?

Cheers,

Tony
Quite normal. The camera makes an estimate on how many images can be recorded to the card and errs on the side of caution.

if you had captured a series of images that included all the tones and colours that the camera is capable of recording, you would find it closer to the estimate.
03-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good answers so far, look at your file sizes in Explorer and you'll see lots of different sized files (unless you shot the same image over and over). The battery has nothing to do with the file sizes.

03-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Good answers so far, look at your file sizes in Explorer and you'll see lots of different sized files (unless you shot the same image over and over). The battery has nothing to do with the file sizes.

You are correct sir. I did shoot the same image all the way through. I am aware that the battery has no relevance to the file sizes, I merely wished to be informative and also to be certain to have enough juice to finish the experiment. On that note, this past Wednesday I went out and shot (with a fully charged OEM battery) 110 images and the battery went down to 75% capacity. A different topic I know and I will post the bizarre happenings on Wednesday, when I can get my thoughts organized. An awful day to be sure.

Thanks very much for the info.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-13-19 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The amount of available shots remaining is calculated based on an average sized image file. If your images take up less space - perhaps because they're all taken at base ISO (with very little noise) or there isn't much fine detail in them, or there's a limited colour palette - you'll get more shots than the estimate
I feel as though I am in tune with what you are saying. There is one area I am having difficulty in comprehending and that is: Reality. I mean for every shutter activation, the total count was reduced by a factor of one, and that happened all the way to the end. I know this because I was counting along with the display counter. So if I agree with the total of zero, how can the camera come up with 260 actuations more than the actual? I understand what you stated, however I do not understand how a file can replicate itself based on ISO settings or any preset settings. You see, I am using Photo Editor 10 to upload images into my computer. This app., came with Windows 10 and for the first three years it functioned flawlessly. Within the last 8 months it has been a real nightmare to work with and I have seen many formal complaints forwarded to the manufacturer. The only recourse I have is to conduct the experiment again, upload the photos and take an actual count to confirm that the number is accurate in Photo Editor 10.

Here is the main reason I am suspect of both Photo Editor 10 and the K-50. This past Wednesday I went out and shot (with a fully charged OEM battery) 110 shots and the power level indicator went down to approximately 75%. When I conducted this experiment yesterday after 1,109 shots, the power level indicator remained at full power level.

How can this be? Perhaps the simplest thing to do is to have the K-50 checked out and see what the results are.

Thanks again, Tony

PS I will post what happened to me on Wednesday at first chance. In a nutshell, it was a cross between: The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.

Last edited by Tonytee; 03-15-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Error Correction.
03-13-2019, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The counter is based on max image size for the quality used. So the counter show minimum amount of shots that can be captured.
03-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are correct sir. I did shoot the same image all the way through. I am aware that the battery has no relevance to the file sizes, I merely wished to be informative and also to be certain to have enough juice to finish the experiment. On that note, this past Wednesday I went out and shot (with a fully charged OEM battery) 110 images and the battery went down to 75% capacity. A different topic I know and I will post the bizarre happenings on Wednesday, when I can get my thoughts organized. An awful day to be sure.

Thanks very much for the info.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-13-19 at 10:27 PM ----------

I feel as though I am in tune with what you are saying. There is one area I am having difficulty in comprehending and that is: Reality. I mean for every shutter activation, the total count was reduced by a factor of one, and that happened all the way to the end. I know this because I was counting along with the display counter. So if I agree with the total of zero, how can the camera come up with 300 actuations more than the actual?
Are you really sure of this?
Can you really see that every shutter actuation is followed by a countdown of the counter? I assume you use continuous shooting.
Or can it be that after every fourth shot or so, the counter did not count down by one?

QuoteQuote:
I understand what you stated, however I do not understand how a file can replicate itself based on ISO settings or any preset settings. You see, I am using Photo Editor 10 to upload images into my computer. This app., came with Windows 10 and for the first three years it functioned flawlessly. Within the last 8 months it has been a real nightmare to work with and I have seen many formal complaints forwarded to the manufacturer. The only recourse I have is to conduct the experiment again, upload the photos and take an actual count to confirm that the number is accurate in Photo Editor 10.

Here is the main reason I am suspect of both Photo Editor 10 and the K-50. This past Wednesday I went out and shot (with a fully charged OEM battery) 110 shots and the power level indicator went down to approximately 75%. When I conducted this experiment yesterday after 1,109 shots, the power level indicator remained at full power level.

How can this be? Perhaps the simplest thing to do is to have the K-50 checked out and see what the results are.

Thanks again, Tony

PS I will post what happened to me on Wednesday at first chance. In a nutshell, it was a cross between: The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.

03-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks again, Tony

I'm guessing your test scenario you may not have focused and the camera was probably shot continuously. When you did your 110 shots you were probably shooting normal, with the camera on when not shooting, and focusing, etc. Certain scenarios of camera use require more power, the display on the back requires power. I never get the same number of shots from a battery charge. I'll get less when using a tripod, because I use live view and take my time setting up a shot. If I go out and shoot using Hi continuous shooting, I'll get a lot more shots. Page 216 of the K-50 manual has tips about the display to reduce battery consumption.
03-14-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mean for every shutter activation, the total count was reduced by a factor of one, and that happened all the way to the end. I know this because I was counting along with the display counter. So if I agree with the total of zero, how can the camera come up with 300 actuations more than the actual?
The closer you get to filling up the card, the more accurate the "shots remaining" count will be. So for the first several hundred of your shots I would imagine the counter would reduce for each shutter activation. for the last few hundred it will not lower its count for each shutter activation and will eventually get back into line of counter reducing for each shutter activation.

I would not agonise over this. If you want to check your cameras shutter activations go here How To Check a DSLR Camera Shutter Count
03-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This seems to be a pointless exercise and a waste of shutter clicks, as there does not appear to be a reason given for wanting to know these parameters with such a high degree of precision. The camera cannot possibly know the content and complexity of any future not-yet-captured images, and even very small changes in the conditions for the same shot might affect the file size, so the remaining capacity of the card can only be a rough estimate, and surely it's better if that estimate is a minimum. Similarly, the way the camera is used, as well as the temperature, can affect the apparent state of the battery as shown by the camera's simple battery meter.

Philip