Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Which crop sensor camera should I consider?

Hello Folks,
Even though I shoot with the K-1 for landscape, I am considering a crop sensor body to take full advantage of some of the DA glass, mainly long lenses. Which model should I consider? I want something modern, but not necessarily the KP. Maybe the K70.
Thank you for your help.
Terry

03-14-2019, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP's a natural sidekick to the K-1.

But you might be very satisfied with the K-70, despite the price difference., Terry.

03-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

But you might be very satisfied with the K-70, despite the price difference., Terry.
Hi Clackers,
I still may consider it. I just have a thing about pop up flashes. I don't like them. If the KP is my best choice, I will get over it. Also, what would be the actual focal length be with a DA 200 be on a KP?
Thank you very much.
Terry
03-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hi Clackers,
I still may consider it. I just have a thing about pop up flashes. I don't like them. If the KP is my best choice, I will get over it. Also, what would be the actual focal length be with a DA 200 be on a KP?
Thank you very much.
Terry
The field of view will be similar to a 300 on FF, but the focal length will be the same.
I like the DA* 200 on APS-c, but it's constant companion is the ƒ 1.7x TC for more reach on FF.

My 18-135 on APS-c gives me the same field of view at 135mm. It's a little underwhelming on FF.

The best telephoto set up for APS-c is the 300 ƒ4, with the 1.4 TC, giving the same field of view as 600mm on FF. That's good enough to shoot Grizlies with and do some decent birding.

I do however lover the DA*200 combo for it's weight, for it's ƒ2.8 which means it will be a functional 400 ƒ5.6 when the new 2x TC comes out. But compared to the 510 ƒ4.5 of my Tamron 300 2.8 and 1.7x TC it's a little on the short side.

Last edited by normhead; 03-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.
03-14-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Clackers,
I still may consider it. I just have a thing about pop up flashes. I don't like them.
?

The KP has a hotshoe, you can still put your speedlight or radio trigger on it, whatever you like, Terry.

03-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I also wanted a little more bulk to the body. The KP looks a little small. I wished there was a shop that I could go a see both cameras, but there's not. Is the K70 bigger the the KP?
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 08:01 AM ----------

?

The KP has a hotshoe, you can still put your speedlight or radio trigger on it, whatever you like, Terry.
Does the KP have a better sensor than the K70?
Terry
03-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I also wanted a little more bulk to the body. The KP looks a little small. I wished there was a shop that I could go a see both cameras, but there's not. Is the K70 bigger the the KP?
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 08:01 AM ----------

Does the KP have a better sensor than the K70?
Terry
If so, only marginally.

03-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Extensive review (including comparisons) at https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-kp-review/introduction.html , Terry.

03-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Extensive review (including comparisons) at Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews , Terry.
Thank you, Clackers
That is very helpful. That brings up the K3 II. Maybe I should consider that, to. They referred that model as the flagship. I could probably find on in the marketplace. I just want something with a little size to it, and with the build quality similar to my K-1. My plan is to get the DA 200 and DA 300, and use them on both bodies.
Terry
03-14-2019, 08:50 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3II is a beast. I'd buy a second one but my K5 produces such beautiful images and is seemingly built to survive orbital reinsertion...
The 24MP sensor has a lot of advantages, though.
03-14-2019, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it's mostly for occasional use, and you care about image quality, the K-70 would be great. If you plan to use the crop body a lot, then the durability of the KP would be worth upgrading to IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
K3II is a beast. I'd buy a second one but my K5 produces such beautiful images and is seemingly built to survive orbital reinsertion...
That K-5 is still a top 100 camera after all these years.
There are a lot of companies that still haven't done better.

I think the deal with the K-70 and K-P are they exceed K-5 resolution and noise, where as the K-3 series was big lower in DR and noise.

The one issue I'd look at myself, because there is so little difference would be the way the back screen operates. I love the K-1, K-P still back screen.

That for me is the feature that would tilt my choice towards the K-P. Of course there are other features that may do that, one way or the other, for other people.
03-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The KP will be closest to K-1 in ability. Sandy Hancock posted this comparison photo on Flickr:
03-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it's mostly for occasional use, and you care about image quality, the K-70 would be great. If you plan to use the crop body a lot, then the durability of the KP would be worth upgrading to IMO.
Adam,
I am looking for something that is not beginner level. When I hold it, I want to know that I have something in my hand. I have only been with Pentax for a year, and I'm not familiar with any of the Crop Bodies. Along with my k-1 and this forum, I'm sticking with it. The KP seems a little wimpy to me. Maybe it's not. The K70 sounds like a beginner model.
Thank you,
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Will you please elaborate on beast. It sounds good to me. Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam,
I also don't care for the grip on the KP. Is there anything in the Prolike crop body?
Terry
03-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The K-3 II is an excellent camera. I have one and it is outstanding. It also has an lcd on top for viewing settings (iso, aperture, shutter speed, and other), and is the latest Pentax APS-C flagship model (pro like). Both the K-70 and KP are newer models than the K-3 II and are also capable of excellent results, but are different in structure and features. I would say to wait for the next Pentax aps-c flagship model, but I do not know how long a wait would be involved. Also, a new K-3 II seems to be less available on the market now, so if you do not want to wait for a new aps-c flagship model, you may want to opt for the K-70 or KP. I would not buy either myself, due to the lack of the lcd screen on the top, which may be a personal preference depending on individual wants/needs.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-14-2019 at 10:45 AM.