Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Adam,I am looking for something that is not beginner level. When I hold it, I want to know that I have something in my hand. I have only been with Pentax for a year, and I'm not familiar with any of the Crop Bodies. Along with my k-1 and this forum, I'm sticking with it. The KP seems a little wimpy to me. Maybe it's not. The K70 sounds like a beginner model.Thank you,Terry
If you want the latest and greatest crop image quality, the KP and K-70 are the only two choices at the moment. The K-70 isn't really a beginner model (although it is the lowest model in the Pentax lineup), but it's certainly in the consumer class as far as build quality goes. However, IMO it handles a bit better than the KP thanks to the larger grip, which is similar to how the K-1 feels.

The K-3 II is the (now discontinued) top APS-C model, but it has an older sensor than the other two. The IQ isn't that much worse, but certainly discernible at higher ISO settings (see our K-70 review). There will be a successor, but not in the immediate future (perhaps late this year).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2019, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Adam,
I am looking for something that is not beginner level. When I hold it, I want to know that I have something in my hand. I have only been with Pentax for a year, and I'm not familiar with any of the Crop Bodies. Along with my k-1 and this forum, I'm sticking with it. The KP seems a little wimpy to me. Maybe it's not. The K70 sounds like a beginner model.
Thank you,
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 09:55 AM ----------

Will you please elaborate on beast. It sounds good to me. Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 10:02 AM ----------

Adam,
I also don't care for the grip on the KP. Is there anything in the Prolike crop body?
Terry
Also, don't neglect the fact the KP has the availability of its optional battery grip, where the K-70 has none. The KP was designed as a compact model that has appeal for K-1 owners looking for a compact APS-C high quality alternative to have along in their kit, as well as appealing to those considering a compact mirrorless APS-C body, but would rather have the benefits of a DSLR. It was also designed for pros wanting a compact field model for extensive hiking.

The battery grip provides a much larger gripping surface, better vertical shooting controls, and a wealth of battery longevity for a long days shooting, Yet the combined weight is similar to a K-3 II with no battery grip. This makes the KP more modular. You can use one of several grips, including the battery grip, according to your current needs or desire.

Despite its compactness, it has pro-caliber magnesium alloy construction, and a far superior controls set than the K-70. Much like the K-1's controls.

But if you'd rather have a bulkier body, Pentax has indicated working on an upcoming K-3 II replacement. Whether its controls will also be similar to those of the K-1 is still a mystery.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.
03-14-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3 series seems every bit as durable as the K5 series, with improvements on resolution, sensitivity and focus. It's experience, I know, but the K3II hunts less, tracks better and handles macro very well. GPS built-in means I can easily mount my ring flash. The 24MP sensor gives substantially greater cropping ability over the 16MP sensor.

If Pentax is going to beat the K3II, it's a high bar to clear.
03-14-2019, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

...I am considering a crop sensor body to take full advantage of some of the DA glass, mainly long lenses...
You didn't mention what types of subjects you want to photograph. Long lenses frequently get used for birds-in-flight and sports, where burst speed is important, but they can also be used for other subjects. ere are my thought on several Pentax APS-C models:

K-70. This is the budget choice. It's still a decent, weather-sealed body, but not as rugged as the K-1. The K-70 is not merely a beginner camera. Image quality is excellent.

KP. This is like a slightly better K-70 in terms of features. The KP and K-70 cameras are IMO so similar in terms of image quality that your decision between those 2 might come down to form factor; the KP is smaller.

K-3ii. This is Pentax' fastest APS-C burst speed and largest buffer capacity for action photography. It's also more rugged (but the KP and K-70 are not bad). K-3ii is discontinued so you might have to buy used. Note that if low light / high ISO quality is important to you the K-70 and KP are better in that regard.

K-5. Someone mentioned that. I think the K-5 is not a good companion to the K-1; you can just use the K-1 in crop mode and you'll get similar pixel density and better image quality. The K-5 is okay as a backup but there's nothing that it does better than K-1, except be a little smaller.

03-14-2019, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
KP it is.

Ok, guys. I just purchased a new KP from B&H. Too many people that I respect recommended it. That's why I came here to ask, anyway. I really appreciate your help.
Regards,
Terry

Last edited by TerryL; 03-14-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
03-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hello Terry, and congratulations on your purchase. In view of your previous comments, when you have had chance to use your KP, I would be interested to read your views regarding how it feels (weight and size) and your opinion of the various grips.

Philip
03-14-2019, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #22

I struggle to understand 'beginner level'. It simply does not exist.

03-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The KP will be closest to K-1 in ability. Sandy Hancock posted this comparison photo on Flickr:
I'll have this combo in a few days.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 11:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The KP's a natural sidekick to the K-1.

But you might be very satisfied with the K-70, despite the price difference., Terry.
My sidekick is on it's way.
Terry
03-14-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want the latest and greatest crop image quality, the KP and K-70 are the only two choices at the moment. The K-70 isn't really a beginner model (although it is the lowest model in the Pentax lineup), but it's certainly in the consumer class as far as build quality goes. However, IMO it handles a bit better than the KP thanks to the larger grip, which is similar to how the K-1 feels.

The K-3 II is the (now discontinued) top APS-C model, but it has an older sensor than the other two. The IQ isn't that much worse, but certainly discernible at higher ISO settings (see our K-70 review). There will be a successor, but not in the immediate future (perhaps late this year).
Adam,
My KP is on it's way from B&H. So is my like new DA 200 from the Market Place. That should do me.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 01:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The KP's a natural sidekick to the K-1.

But you might be very satisfied with the K-70, despite the price difference., Terry.
Hi Clackers,
My KP and DA 200 are on it's way. Should work out just fine. I bought the DA 200 from the Market Place in like new condition for $500, so the combo worked out pretty good. Later on, I want the DA 300, too. Thanks for your help.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Hello Terry, and congratulations on your purchase. In view of your previous comments, when you have had chance to use your KP, I would be interested to read your views regarding how it feels (weight and size) and your opinion of the various grips.

Philip
Sure, I will be glad to.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 01:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That K-5 is still a top 100 camera after all these years.
There are a lot of companies that still haven't done better.

I think the deal with the K-70 and K-P are they exceed K-5 resolution and noise, where as the K-3 series was big lower in DR and noise.

The one issue I'd look at myself, because there is so little difference would be the way the back screen operates. I love the K-1, K-P still back screen.

That for me is the feature that would tilt my choice towards the K-P. Of course there are other features that may do that, one way or the other, for other people.
Hi Norm,
You are the one that got me interested in the DA 200 and DA 300. And the idea of using them on full frame and crop bodies. I have the KP and DA 200 on there way. I bought the DA 200 on the market place for 500, and in like new condition. The cost of the combo turned out reasonable. Thanks.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That K-5 is still a top 100 camera after all these years.
There are a lot of companies that still haven't done better.

I think the deal with the K-70 and K-P are they exceed K-5 resolution and noise, where as the K-3 series was big lower in DR and noise.

The one issue I'd look at myself, because there is so little difference would be the way the back screen operates. I love the K-1, K-P still back screen.

That for me is the feature that would tilt my choice towards the K-P. Of course there are other features that may do that, one way or the other, for other people.
Hi Norm,
You are the one that got me interested in the DA 200 and DA 300. And the idea of using them on full frame and crop bodies. I have the KP and DA 200 on there way. I bought the DA 200 on the market place for 500, and in like new condition. The cost of the combo turned out reasonable. Thanks.
Terry
03-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Congrats on your purchase of the KP! I have the DA* 200mm also and I am very fond of it. Also have the FA* 300mm f/4.5. I usually employ the battery grip when I have either on my KP. Another favorite of mine is the KP and DA* 50-135mm. For me, just the largest regular grip on the KP works fine with this lens.

With your KP, you might really like the results the camera gives with JPEGs right out of the camera. It does an outstanding job. Just be sure to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus.
03-14-2019, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Terry. I got here late. Congrats on the decision and purchase. I‘m one of those who has K-1 and KP. I use them both with the FA Limiteds and the (older, screwdrive) FA*200/2.8 and FA*300/4.5 so my use case is similar to what you plan.

I have enough time under my belt with both cameras that I can switch back and forth without trouble and muscle memory brings the controls I need to hand on either camera without conscious thought now. The big difference for me is the placement of the back AF button. It takes me a couple attempts with my thumb to ‘find’ it if I switch from K-1 to KP when using both at the same time. I use the largest of the three interchangeable grips and thus KP has some heft. It is solid and has enough mass to balance lenses well but is small enough to carry and use as a pocket camera (in a large pocket) with DA Limited pancakes.

The image quality is noticeably better straight out of camera at ISO 3200 than K-1 - or alternatively I can use a faster shutter and higher ISO for same IQ on KP as K-1 at 1600.

IMO you’ve made the right choice. My advice is give the camera time to grow on you - don’t judge it the first time out in the context of your K-1 experience. KP is a much better camera than most who haven’t actually used one give it credit for.

Congrats again.
03-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want an APS-C camera body that's a hefty handful, look for a good used K3 II or K5 II. Should be plenty available at bargain prices.
03-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi Terry. I got here late. Congrats on the decision and purchase. I‘m one of those who has K-1 and KP. I use them both with the FA Limiteds and the (older, screwdrive) FA*200/2.8 and FA*300/4.5 so my use case is similar to what you plan.

I have enough time under my belt with both cameras that I can switch back and forth without trouble and muscle memory brings the controls I need to hand on either camera without conscious thought now. The big difference for me is the placement of the back AF button. It takes me a couple attempts with my thumb to ‘find’ it if I switch from K-1 to KP when using both at the same time. I use the largest of the three interchangeable grips and thus KP has some heft. It is solid and has enough mass to balance lenses well but is small enough to carry and use as a pocket camera (in a large pocket) with DA Limited pancakes.

The image quality is noticeably better straight out of camera at ISO 3200 than K-1 - or alternatively I can use a faster shutter and higher ISO for same IQ on KP as K-1 at 1600.

IMO you’ve made the right choice. My advice is give the camera time to grow on you - don’t judge it the first time out in the context of your K-1 experience. KP is a much better camera than most who haven’t actually used one give it credit for.

Congrats again.
Hi Monochrome,
I'm sure you don't remember, but back about 14 months ago when I first bought my K-1, you helped me with my first lens choice. With your recommendation, I started with the 3 FA Limited lenses. That was such a sweet choice. BTW, do you have a good arca swiss plate on your KP? If so, what is it?
Thank you,
Terry
03-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Monochrome,
I'm sure you don't remember, but back about 14 months ago when I first bought my K-1, you helped me with my first lens choice. With your recommendation, I started with the 3 FA Limited lenses. That was such a sweet choice. BTW, do you have a good arca swiss plate on your KP? If so, what is it?
Thank you,
Terry
Terry: I currently own the KP, K-3ii, K-5ii and the K-S2, and I really love the results of the KP. The only disappoint for me is that it's only rated to 100,000 clicks vs. the K-3ii at 200k of even the K-1 at 300K. That puts it in the K-5ii category for shutter durability. Nonetheless, Adam, Norm and others here are correct about the IQ: there is a discernible difference in the results and image quality between the KP and the K-3ii. I have the battery grip on the K-3ii, but chose not to buy the KP version as of yet because it's nice to have a small walkabout body and/or a back-up for the K-1 if you're on a shoot.

Please post some pics so we can see how you're working the KP.
03-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Monochrome,
Thank you,
Terry
Terry: After many years of trying out every interesting lens that came along I’m finally reducing to what I use and is fun. The Princesses are on the list. Most of the new massive lenses aren’t (except the Fat Fifty)! I’m happy I offered some worthwhile experience. I have not converted to Arca Swiss yet. Once my long lens list is settled I’ll do new legs, heads, plates and a monopod.