Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Terry: After many years of trying out every interesting lens that came along I知 finally reducing to what I use and is fun. The Princesses are on the list. Most of the new massive lenses aren稚 (except the Fat Fifty)! I知 happy I offered some worthwhile experience. I have not converted to Arca Swiss yet. Once my long lens list is settled I値l do new legs, heads, plates and a monopod.
My KP comes tomorrow, so I can just use my FA 31, can't I? The main reason I bought it was to use a DA 200 to shoot my Son's track and field events. That should give me plenty of reach. My lens is on its way, and should be here next Thursday. I really need a proper arca swiss plate since I am a heavy tripod user due to my fractured back. We find a way to keep doing what we love.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Terry: I currently own the KP, K-3ii, K-5ii and the K-S2, and I really love the results of the KP. The only disappoint for me is that it's only rated to 100,000 clicks vs. the K-3ii at 200k of even the K-1 at 300K. That puts it in the K-5ii category for shutter durability. Nonetheless, Adam, Norm and others here are correct about the IQ: there is a discernible difference in the results and image quality between the KP and the K-3ii. I have the battery grip on the K-3ii, but chose not to buy the KP version as of yet because it's nice to have a small walkabout body and/or a back-up for the K-1 if you're on a shoot.

Please post some pics so we can see how you're working the KP.
That's good to know. I normally shoot with my K-1 for landscape. The KP is more of a single use camera, specifically to use with the DA 200 and DA 300 for my Son's sports. I doubt if I even come close to 100,000 clicks. And, for the price, it still seems like a value and a lot of fun. I do wish it was rated higher.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 09:17 AM ----------

Terry: After many years of trying out every interesting lens that came along I知 finally reducing to what I use and is fun. The Princesses are on the list. Most of the new massive lenses aren稚 (except the Fat Fifty)! I知 happy I offered some worthwhile experience. I have not converted to Arca Swiss yet. Once my long lens list is settled I値l do new legs, heads, plates and a monopod.
I can use my FA Limited lenses on the KP, can't I?
Thank you,
Terry

03-15-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
My KP comes tomorrow, so I can just use my FA 31, can't I? The main reason I bought it was to use a DA 200 to shoot my Son's track and field events. That should give me plenty of reach. My lens is on its way, and should be here next Thursday. I really need a proper arca swiss plate since I am a heavy tripod user due to my fractured back. We find a way to keep doing what we love.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 09:12 AM ----------

That's good to know. I normally shoot with my K-1 for landscape. The KP is more of a single use camera, specifically to use with the DA 200 and DA 300 for my Son's sports. I doubt if I even come close to 100,000 clicks. And, for the price, it still seems like a value and a lot of fun. I do wish it was rated higher.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-15-19 at 09:17 AM ----------

I can use my FA Limited lenses on the KP, can't I?
Thank you,
Terry
Absolutely. We all used them on APSc before April 2016 (K-1).
03-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Absolutely. We all used them on APSc before April 2016 (K-1).
Excellent. Thank you.
Terry
03-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The field of view will be similar to a 300 on FF, but the focal length will be the same.
I like the DA* 200 on APS-c, but it's constant companion is the ƒ 1.7x TC for more reach on FF.

My 18-135 on APS-c gives me the same field of view at 135mm. It's a little underwhelming on FF.

The best telephoto set up for APS-c is the 300 ƒ4, with the 1.4 TC, giving the same field of view as 600mm on FF. That's good enough to shoot Grizlies with and do some decent birding.

I do however lover the DA*200 combo for it's weight, for it's ƒ2.8 which means it will be a functional 400 ƒ5.6 when the new 2x TC comes out. But compared to the 510 ƒ4.5 of my Tamron 300 2.8 and 1.7x TC it's a little on the short side.
Just missed another 300 in the Marketplace. Shucks.
Terry

03-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

My KP comes tomorrow, so I can just use my FA 31, can't I? The main reason I bought it was to use a DA 200 to shoot my Son's track and field events. That should give me plenty of reach. My lens is on its way, and should be here next Thursday. I really need a proper arca swiss plate since I am a heavy tripod user due to my fractured back. We find a way to keep doing what we love.. . .
late to the party but some thoughts:

the O P might like this thread about the limiteds - the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

this might be of interest JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate, it gives a hand grip and ultraplate to use for your tripod

03-28-2019, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got the KP and absolutely love it! The build quality is excellent. The small size is not a problem if you just cradle the camera and lens in your free hand. It's very comfortable to hold. Thanks everyone.
Terry
03-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the KP and absolutely love it! The build quality is excellent. The small size is not a problem if you just cradle the camera and lens in your free hand. It's very comfortable to hold. Thanks everyone.
Terry
Congrats...like I said...it has a high IQ, like a mini K-1 when you need an extra body or walk about.

04-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congrats on your purchase of the KP! I have the DA* 200mm also and I am very fond of it. Also have the FA* 300mm f/4.5. I usually employ the battery grip when I have either on my KP. Another favorite of mine is the KP and DA* 50-135mm. For me, just the largest regular grip on the KP works fine with this lens.

With your KP, you might really like the results the camera gives with JPEGs right out of the camera. It does an outstanding job. Just be sure to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus.
Hello Mike,
I would like to do the setting that you suggest for jpegs. Where exactly will I find it? I have looked through the C menu, and the manual. I just can't find it. Thank you very much.
Terry
04-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Mike,
I would like to do the setting that you suggest for jpegs. Where exactly will I find it? I have looked through the C menu, and the manual. I just can't find it. Thank you very much.
Terry
Not Mike, but - Press the INFO button on the back of the camera and "Custom Image" is one of the 20 options. Select it then press the "OK" button to start adjusting.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 04-11-19 at 02:42 PM ----------

Re researching the manual: I find that it's easier for me to download the pdf and use the search tools in Acrobat than to flip pages looking for the right words.
04-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Not Mike, but - Press the INFO button on the back of the camera and "Custom Image" is one of the 20 options. Select it then press the "OK" button to start adjusting.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 04-11-19 at 02:42 PM ----------

Re researching the manual: I find that it's easier for me to download the pdf and use the search tools in Acrobat than to flip pages looking for the right words.
Thank you, Roger. This is extremely helpful. Do you think I should change anything? I really do know what I am changing.
Terry
04-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, Roger. This is extremely helpful. Do you think I should change anything? I really do know what I am changing.
Terry
As suggested by others, I've set custom image to Bright with Contrast +1 and Fine Sharpness +1. It doesn't change much for me since I shoot Raw, but it provides a starting point for PP if I like the results. More about Custom Image is here. I found it very helpful.
04-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
As suggested by others, I've set custom image to Bright with Contrast +1 and Fine Sharpness +1. It doesn't change much for me since I shoot Raw, but it provides a starting point for PP if I like the results. More about Custom Image is here. I found it very helpful.
That's perfect. I'll do that. I normally shoot raw, too, but I heard that the KP had such good in camera processing, that I wanted to see for myself. They really do look nice, especially when using the Limited lenses. I'll be shooting my Son's track and field events, this season, and in order to use burst or continuous firing, the camera needs to be shooting jpegs. Thanks for your help.
Terry
04-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #43
Veteran Member

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Pentax-K-70-vs-Pentax-KP

This website helped me choose my original K-x.
This website also helped me choose the K-70 over the KP but everyone's choice is their own.
I strongly recommend using a comparison site like the one above to help aid your decision.
04-14-2019, 12:54 AM - 4 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you ever think the KP feels a bit wimpy, put the battery grip on it. And the DFA150-450. And use it in Antarctica. In a Zodiac. In a blizzard.

04-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The k-3 replacement is just around the corner, I'd hold off until they announce it if your not in a rush