Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am closely following the comments of those having wisdom (the wise guys) in the hopes of seeing a solution that I have not tried. Fog with entry into warm humid is usually a matter of patience. Fog moving from pervasive hot humid into an air-conditioned space may take significant time to clear with no clear preventive measures.

Steve

03-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
(If you visit tropical locations where the hotel is heavily air conditioned and the outdoors is not, then the warmest place to store your camera is usually around the minifridge.)
If only you had been able to give me this advice when I went to Ocho Rios in July 2013! My biggest mistake was taking the lens off the camera to try to speed up defogging, which resulted in lots of dust particles on the sensor. I only had non-WR lenses at the time, but I found taking the camera out of my bag for 15 minutes so its temperature equalized to ambient temperature helped a lot. Now my most common problem is the viewfinder frosting up in cold weather.
03-18-2019, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

We have an indoor botanical garden here that is always warm and moist inside. When visiting during the winter, bringing my cameras indoors almost always caused them to fog up. I read a thing that said to seal your gear in a plastic bag before entering the warmer area. That way, the moisture will condense on the outside of the plastic bag...not the camera and lenses. That trick works pretty well, but you still have to allow time for your camera gear to warm up a bit before removing it from the plastic bag or else it will still fog up.
03-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Bringing a colder camera into a hot, extremely humid environment will always result in fogging. Echoing prior comments, you can try:

1) Ideally, heat the camera and lens so it's warmer than the rain forest. Put the camera under an armpit and inside your jacket. Attaching some hand warmers to the camera can help.

2) Put a cheap clear filter on the lens. Keep wiping it off when it fogs. The rest of the camera will still collect moisture; you can try a rain cover Ruggard RC-P8 Rain Cover for DSLR with Lens up to 8" RC-P8 but extreme humidity will likely still creep in and condense on the cold camera.

03-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others have said, camera and lenses need to be above dew point temperature (all surfaces, inside and out) of the environment you're entering to avoid condensation. How you warm your gear can vary depending on the resources you have available. If you're driving to the venue, maybe have your car heater blow on your gear while traveling.
03-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will try the suggestions but the rain forest is in the interior of the zoo, no way to walk to it without exposure to the current ambient temperature and weather between the parking lot, the entrance to the zoo and walking to the entrance of the rain forest.
03-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Buy an insulated 'chilly bag' and have it open in the car whilst driving there with the heater on.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/san-jamar-fc1212-rd-12-x-12-x-12-red-insula...FC1212MRN.html

On arrival put the camera + lens in the insulated bag.

Walk at your leisure through the zoo to the tropical house.
Enter and unpack your camera.

Last edited by bobD; 03-18-2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: link
03-19-2019, 03:32 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
very good suggestion thanks, if I was going straight to the rain forest exhibit.

but I volunteer as a docent and going into the rain forest is not the only reason to go to the zoo so I am not free to go from the vehicle straight to the exhibit.

in other words, I am walking through out the zoo, working various areas, taking photos as the opportunity arises and then I may enter the tropical rain forest.
03-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
but I volunteer as a docent and going into the rain forest is not the only reason to go to the zoo so I am not free to go from the vehicle straight to the exhibit.
in other words, I am walking through out the zoo, working various areas, taking photos as the opportunity arises and then I may enter the tropical rain forest.
Without special equipment, the quickest way to equalize temperature may be to put your camera into a plastic ziplock bag prior to entering the exhibit and press/suck out as much air as possible. Your wait time will depend on the temperature difference and air movement.
03-19-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so much for the idea of using a lighter to warm up the lens/camera before going in I guess
03-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #26
Veteran Member

edited caption as suggested but that didn't help my problem
People looking at this group now know what you're asking. Better access to help now.
03-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
People looking at this group now know what you're asking. Better access to help now.
but all of the mystery has vanished
03-19-2019, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious...I see you live in Topeka, but have family in Omaha. Is this the Henry Doorly Zoo rainforest your're talking about? If so, I would just plan on going into it first with the camera and lenses pre-warmed. The reainforest is near the zoo entrance, so I don't see much of a problem getting in there before your gear cool down. If you're here in the summer, I'd suggest you spend some time outdoors to let the gear warm up before going in.
My second two cents...
Daryl (in Omaha)

PS: A shot from inside the rainforest taken in 2011:
03-19-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Although I do visit that excellent zoo in the western suburb of Council Bluff Iowa

when I can

( my son and his wife lives in Omaha )

I am a docent at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center which has a small tropical rain forest exhibit ( the first one built in the US )

by the way, we have the two Malaysian Sun Bears which were at the Omaha zoo - Cupcake and Ho Ho

I did go today and went directly from the vehicle to the rain forest and had no problems, one lens was kept in the back pack in a zip lock prior to use

K 3 + Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror (55BB) [ hand held ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-19-2019 at 03:00 PM.
03-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I do visit that excellent zoo in the western suburb of Council Bluff Iowa

when I can

( my son and his wife lives in Omaha )

I am a docent at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center which has a small tropical rain forest exhibit ( the first one built in the US )

by the way, we have the two Malaysian Sun Bears which were at the Omaha zoo - Cupcake and Ho Ho

I did go today and went directly from the vehicle to the rain forest and had no problems, one lens was kept in the back pack in a zip lock prior to use

K 3 + Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror (55BB) [ hand held ]
Very cool! It's a small world with a few Pentaxians!