Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Receiving error message: "Memory Card Error" with my K-7.

Today I was shooting for a few hours in the neighborhood, then came in and uploaded a few thousand images. I was having problems with Photo Editor 10 in that it would not recognize my device. After numerous failed attempts I removed the PNY Optima SDHC 60MB/s, 4GB Card and inserted it into the computer and it uploaded all the images with no problems.

I then removed the card, cleaned the gold contacts and then re-inserted it into the K-7. Turned the camera on and I received the message: "Memory Card Error." All I could do was to remove the card and replace it with a different card very similar. The same message occurred and then I just removed it and turned the camera off. I inserted the PNY card into my Pentax K-50 and it also gave me the same error message. It seemed logical the card had just bought the farm, so I let it go at that. I then had the brainstorm idea to re-insert into the k-7, and lo and behold, the camera fired up with no problems. I then re-inserted the same card into the K-50 and it too fired up with no issues. I also formatted the card each time.

Any assistance with this issue will be greatly appreciated. I am aware that 60mb/s is slow compared to the faster write cards out today, but I never had anything happen like this before with this same card.

Many thanks,

Tony

03-21-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Read/write speed has nothing to do with your problem. The thing that comes to mind is that perhaps you didn't use the eject command before removing the card from your computer.
03-21-2019, 02:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Issues happen.
Could be failure to eject properly, but I have yet to ever see that as an actual problem in practice... and I tend to practice that a lot, somehow.
Could be static, as unlikely as that might be. Could be that the card is going.
A good thing to do is to properly and fully format the card. NO there I is no difference formatting "in camera" vs "in computer" that might cause read/write behavior differences.
I mean fully write every bit on the card, which is very difficult fo do unless the formatter takes into account the behind the scenes issues with accessing all of SD memory. (and neither the camera nor most computer based formatters handle that very well)

Use the following program; SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
Although not its intent, it can also shake out bad blocks. Since it does hit every bit, it can have the side effect of causing the SD card's internal OS to mark the block(s) bad and make those inaccessible, thus eliminating future errors. At some point, massive or repeated block elimination will indicate a bad card.
Regardless, it might help make the card more stable if it is a one-off issue, and not a failing card.
03-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #4
Forum Member

I had a problem like this once. I considered myself lucky to have been able to get the photos off the card, then trashed the card and bought a new one.

SD cards are cheap if you only buy slow cards at modest sizes like I do, so there is no big loss and you can simply avoid the risk of that card misbehaving again.

You would feel pretty annoyed if you lost some good shots next time.

03-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
cleaned the gold contacts and then re-inserted it into the K-7.
Hi Tony, what did you use to clean the contacts?
03-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sd cards do have a read/write life cycle. I'm guessing that your card is both older and well used. Buy a new one. Good luck.
03-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a Samsung GX-20 (K20D clone) that's persnickety about SD cards. It just doesn't like most 32GB cards and won't save images to one. I do have a couple of super fast ones that work well with it, but mostly I stick to cards 16 GB and smaller, which work just fine. Figuring out that little quirk helped me to soften my dislike for this camera, although it still isn't my favorite.
03-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Tony, what did you use to clean the contacts?
As suggested, I only use a microfiber cleaning cloth.

tt

---------- Post added 03-21-19 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Read/write speed has nothing to do with your problem. The thing that comes to mind is that perhaps you didn't use the eject command before removing the card from your computer.
Okay, you got me. How do I use the eject command to remove the card?

thnx,

TT

---------- Post added 03-21-19 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote

Never mind my last request. I figured out how to do it. This may explain why I was unable to upload photos.

thnx again for your assistance.

TT