Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Help! Dropped Silver KP - Flash housing cracked. Any advice?

Got home from a day out, walking from the car to the house and the strap came off at one end Camera dropped onto the concrete drive and there is now a cosmetic crack to the flash housing.

Camera and flash work fine but the crack is going to really bug me. I checked Precision Camera's site and KP repairs appear to be $353 no matter what you have done - basically half the price of what I paid for the camera for a cosmetic fix.

Any thoughts on other options? Can I order the flash housing from Pentax? Reach out to other camera repairers locally? Or do just glue it with epoxy & paint over the repair once I've matched the color?

Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 03-23-2019 at 10:00 PM.
03-23-2019, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
fix it with uv activated glue or just use it. Better yes use clear silicone
03-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi - I'll have to look that up. Thanks
03-23-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I do in similar situations is make a temporary fix , then watch ebay for similar items that are broken. If you are patient, you will often find a broken item for a very reasonable cost.

You might have to wait a year or more, but eventually, a cheap KP that's hopelessly broken and being sold for parts will show up.

Then, once you've obtained the needed part, replace the broken piece yourself. If you don't have a camera/lens shop like me, then maybe you can find some third party to do it for you.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-23-2019 at 06:11 PM.
03-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks - that's certainly an option. I may look at the UV glue to fix for now and try and paint match, while looking out for a replacement on eBay.

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 03-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.
03-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

UV glue is very hard to use. I've used it before for reglueing separated optical elements. For this job, I'd probably use a high quality two part epoxy - much more forgiving than UV glue.

I've used gaffers tape on broken camera bodies before. It usually holds up for a month or two and is then easily replaced. Not sure if it comes in a silver color. Put the gaffers tape on top of the glued joint and it would be incredibly strong. Of course if you use tape, then you could no longer use the pop up flash).
03-23-2019, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

accept as battle scar, it may get more, it's character will develop

03-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Great idea, that's what I'd do. Just leave it as is. Shoot it for a few months. When you hear that the new Pentax flagship is about to be released, sell this KP camera. Even with the crack, I suspect you'd still get a decent price for it, and then you'd be replacing it with the next Pentax "Super Camera".
03-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think, after more research, UV glue is not the the best plan. I'm concerned if I don't do some sort of gluing the cracked part will eventually break off, so will maybe look at the two-part option. Battle scars is one thing, but I don't want to give it the option to get worse and fall off.

Fenwoodian - My plan for the KP was a bridge to the new APS-C flagship, so I was planning on doing what you say anyway :-)

Thanks all for the advice, it is appreciated.
03-23-2019, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Battle scars is one thing, but I don't want to give it the option to get worse and fall off.
yes definitely needs a little care there, a patch of glue and colour
it will decrease value, but maybe not by that much, still a brilliant camera
03-23-2019, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope that Pentax puts one of the KP Custom kits into production:

A close look at the Pentax KP Custom - CP+ 2019 | PentaxForums.com

Then you'd have a cool new grip and new flash housing.

Until then, glue it. Plastic is kind of annoying because glues don't really stick to it that well. I have used a lot of Gorilla Brand 5 minute Epoxy recently. Note that this is not their more common Original which is a polyurethane formula. Original will make a big mess. I've also used JB Weld Plastic Bonder which was OK. Use clear packing tape to hold the two parts together while the glue dries and also make the surface smooth. You can sand either glues smooth after a day or so. I would have low expectations for structural strength but you could get it to look OK.
03-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Hope that Pentax puts one of the KP Custom kits into production:

A close look at the Pentax KP Custom - CP+ 2019 | PentaxForums.com

Then you'd have a cool new grip and new flash housing.

Until then, glue it. Plastic is kind of annoying because glues don't really stick to it that well. I have used a lot of Gorilla Brand 5 minute Epoxy recently. Note that this is not their more common Original which is a polyurethane formula. Original will make a big mess. I've also used JB Weld Plastic Bonder which was OK. Use clear packing tape to hold the two parts together while the glue dries and also make the surface smooth. You can sand either glues smooth after a day or so. I would have low expectations for structural strength but you could get it to look OK.
Great advice there - thank you. I’ll check out the gorilla brand.
03-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No direct experience, but I think the Precision pricing is just guidance to cover the bases. You could send it to them for evaluation and have them give you an actual quote. It may be less than the $353
03-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
No direct experience, but I think the Precision pricing is just guidance to cover the bases. You could send it to them for evaluation and have them give you an actual quote. It may be less than the $353
I may call them Monday to check, thanks.
03-23-2019, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
What annoys you today, you might not notice in a month, unless it affects functionality. It's like that first car park ding in a new car.