Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #16

If you send it to Precision chances are they can't get a silver part and would replace the flash cover with a standard black one.

03-24-2019, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you send it to Precision chances are they can't get a silver part and would replace the flash cover with a standard black one.
Black is neither standard nor not standard. The silver KP is a standard production color - still in actual production - not a Special Edition.
03-24-2019, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Ouch.
03-24-2019, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #19

Just looking at the crack, I am surprised/impressed there is no other damage to the camera.

Personally, given the cost of a new KP, I would just figure out a way to seal the crack and just enjoy the camera.

I like this route:

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've used gaffers tape on broken camera bodies before. It usually holds up for a month or two and is then easily replaced. Not sure if it comes in a silver color. Put the gaffers tape on top of the glued joint and it would be incredibly strong. Of course if you use tape, then you could no longer use the pop up flash).
Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant is a good option, just take your time in application and work in phases, allowing each layer to dry. Cover with gaffers tape and call it a day.

03-24-2019, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IMO, you won't recoup the expense of having it repaired. I'd use super glue with a sprinkle baking soda after gluing to strengthen the bond.

Last edited by rogerstg; 03-26-2019 at 03:16 AM.
03-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all. impressed the camera held up and still works perfectly, I fired off a load of test shots after and no issues.
03-24-2019, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the suggestion of gaffers tape. If you clean it well before it should last a good while. I definitely wouldn’t try to get it fixed. If it still works keep using it!

03-24-2019, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Much of my kit is second-hand (to say the least !), some held together with gaffer tape as battle scars - and in a crowd, I seldom get jostled !
03-25-2019, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks to me like getting a paint match might be the cheapest way to go. If you or someone you know is very good with a small artists paint brush, it might be hardly noticeable when done. If this is the only damage from dropping to a concrete drive, it is a testament to the rugged build of this camera.
03-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My 2 cents: Have you looked at "nail polish"? May be available in a close color match and dries quick, because of its properties it should act as a glue and paint with it's own applicator!

https://www.londondrugs.com/essie-mirror-metallics-nail-lacquer---no-place-l.../L5941851.html

Last edited by SharkyCA; 03-30-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add a link and update message.
03-30-2019, 05:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Got home from a day out, walking from the car to the house and the strap came off at one end Camera dropped onto the concrete drive and there is now a cosmetic crack to the flash housing.

Camera and flash work fine but the crack is going to really bug me. I checked Precision Camera's site and KP repairs appear to be $353 no matter what you have done - basically half the price of what I paid for the camera for a cosmetic fix.

Any thoughts on other options? Can I order the flash housing from Pentax? Reach out to other camera repairers locally? Or do just glue it with epoxy & paint over the repair once I've matched the color?

Thanks.
If you don't actually use the flash, I'd probably just put a piece of carefully cut Duct Tape over it.

BTW - My silver KP is on the computer desk next to me - I think it cringed when I scrolled past the photo

Your experience is certainly a tribute to how these cameras are constructed
03-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Much of my kit is second-hand (to say the least !), some held together with gaffer tape as battle scars - and in a crowd, I seldom get jostled !
being 6 ' 4 " and in shape helps with not jostled

btw, I am not 6' 4 " nor am I, in any concept of the words, " in shape "

sometimes, you adjust to what life gives you and make sure something is useable and go for it
03-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
being 6 ' 4 " and in shape helps with not jostled

btw, I am not 6' 4 " nor am I, in any concept of the words, " in shape "
Me neither - shape is more spherical than bean pole, but I am told I can look quite intimidating when necessary
03-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Me neither - shape is more spherical than bean pole, but I am told I can look quite intimidating when necessary
first remember that my advice plus $ will get you your favorite beverage at your favorite café/bar

if confronted

bluffing may only be partially successful ( so far, personally, it has worked for me but - - - )

always:

know your surroundings

don't overestimate your ability and/or speed

insurance is good you may want to " compromise "

last resort, using a weighed object in self defense might help especially if on a sling ( momentum you know ) but costly

if you only get the other person mad, boy are you in trouble then

[ this post is in jest only, I do not recommend fighting ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-30-2019 at 07:44 AM.
03-30-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Just had a thought... Have you looked into a model shop? They most probably could match a silver paint and maybe even give advice on glue etc.
The crack in your KP may yet become virtually undetectable.

A bit of model putty to fill and smooth the crack and then acrylic or enamel paint.
Even a lacquer to protect it...
Could be very worth it in my opinion.