Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Apeture block failure k-s1

Hi does anyone know how to fix the apeture block failure on the pentax k-s1 as i think its just out of warenty ( figures ) any help would be much appreciated

03-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Forum Member

There has been good discussion of this over the past few days in this thread:

Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
03-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stanmc76 Quote
Hi does anyone know how to fix the apeture block failure on the pentax k-s1 as i think its just out of warenty ( figures ) any help would be much appreciated
How have you diagnosed this issue? I would suggest that you look at this post
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The gold standard for diagnosing aperture block failure is to put the camera in M mode (auto ISO off, aperture ring not being used) with aperture set wide open and shutter speed at something slow (e.g. 1-2 seconds). Release the shutter while observing the aperture opening through the front of the lens.* Anything other than the aperture remaining wide open is indication of a problem with the controller. If the problem has been intermittent, it may help to do the test after a period of non-use. Even one failure is significant.

* This method was instrumental in diagnosing the initial wave of aperture block failures on the K-30 and narrowing the cause to a fault in a mechanical component rather than electronics.
03-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Consider sending it in to your official Ricoh/Pentax repair facitlity. Even though it is out of warranty there is chance they may fix it for you. Others have had some success doing this.

03-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums! If the camera is within a few months of being in warranty, I would definitely send it in.

Steve
03-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Honey goes a long way here, (though not fool proof). A very kindly worded inquiry to Ricoh may indeed get your
camera repaired even if it's out of warranty. Sass and salt will likely not.

Many years ago I was thoroughly impressed when Pioneer agreed to fix an amplifier for me that was just a few
months out of warranty. I used honey and they were receptive. I've been a big fan of Pioneer ever since.

Around the same time, I approached Sony when a CD player failed quite literally days after the warranty had
expired. No amount of honey would budge them, but they were keen to let me know they had lots of other
great products I could buy. Sony presently sits at the bottom of my shopping list, (for this incident and a few
others).
03-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How have you diagnosed this issue? I would suggest that you look at this post
Hi thank you for the advice im not tech savy and was told this was the issue ....when i do what you said i see no movement its either fully open of fully closed

---------- Post added 03-26-19 at 11:08 AM ----------

Hi thank you for the advice im not tech savy and was told this was the issue ....when i do what you said i see no movement its either fully open of fully closed
See when im putting the lens on its fully closed and just as it clicks in that opens up full and it does not move if i change the apeture

03-26-2019, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

See when im putting the lens on its fully closed and just as it clicks in that opens up full and it does not move if i change the apeture
Using the e-dial on the camera set the aperture to full-open. While looking in the front of the lens, release the shutter. There should be no visible movement of the iris diaphragm (stop-down) If there is an aperture control problem, the lens aperture will not stay full-open. If you see no symptom, let the camera rest overnight and try again in the morning. First actuation of the day will often show the failure.

Steve