03-29-2019, 03:00 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
The DFA 100MM f2.8 macro is also WR...
there are two versions of the DFA100mm F2.8 Macros

the older version ( which I own ) is not rated WR or is it claimed to be WR as far as I know -

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

however, they do have something in common - Full frame coverage and the optical design:

" Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review

Specifications

The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "
. . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-d-fa-100mm-f28-wr-macro/specific...#ixzz5jYOhy8WD

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-29-2019 at 05:08 AM.
03-29-2019, 04:59 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My bad.... At least I learned something new.
03-29-2019, 05:07 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
My bad.... At least I learned something new.
never a bad day when I learn something new, perhaps you feel the same

and everyone knows I need all the help I can get
03-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Given seat locator probably minimum 30 meters from the third baseman, so if he is 2 meters tall he will be 20cm high on sensor using the 300. This is just beyond filling the horizontal format of a cropped sensor, but since the fielders are usually crouched, diving or bent over to make a tag, they still might fit. All other bases will be just fine.

Always think about the following

Image size = subject size X focal length / distance. The 300 will be the only lens that will get a great action shot,
thanks but

1 I don't do math regardless of how simple

2 I try for the photo and pray a lot

neither the 300mm or 70-200mm zoom disappointed, only problem was " Operator Error " although I like the blurred double ball and bat - shows speed to me

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-30-2019 at 08:29 AM.
03-30-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok time for lessons learned

( may help at other locales as well)

always:

- ask for help and advice from people ( especially the members of the forum ) my thanks to all

- learn the official rules for what can be taken in and how - Royals have physical boxes they say your bag must fit in ( mine did ), camera lenses less than 12 inches ( they were ) no rule about how much you can stuff into a jacket only that you must take everything out for security check

- don't be afraid to think " out of the box ": seat in open, heavy rains forecast what to do, what to do ? [ light bulb moment the night before game ] hey Rivals' Sports bar is high above right field wall and although they are selling most seats. there are some long narrow tables free with possible view of the field - get there quick and see what you can see!

I did and you can see from the angles where my photos were taken - photos posted here and through the forum's threads

- check, recheck and re recheck that you have the reading glasses ( and everything else ) before leaving home and or the car in the parking lot, no reentry allowed

I left my reading glasses in the car, making impossible to read menu etc

- check recheck and recheck again when moving from one locale to another that you do have all of your gear [ left bag with extra stuff including two lenses at Rivals for a very short time, luckily no problem recovering in the bag and all of its contents, hadn't been touched ]

- make sure you have extra batteries and SD cards, not needed this time but next ??

- be prepared as much as possible for the changeable weather - S---- happens

- be careful out there - it is a dangerous world especially foul balls and/or bats and/or drunks

- be polite to all staff and you may get a break or two - example: first at gate time to kill, don't complain about wait, if attendant is willing talk about why you are there, connections with the team etc, etc etc, and so forth and so on you could be pleasantly surprised.

- as monochrome stated, the idea is to have fun, be there for more than just taking photos so if for some reason you can't, it isn't a wasted experience

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-30-2019 at 09:44 AM.
03-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #36
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I have used the 55-300 often in the past at the ballpark, and I have never been terribly happy with how it performs at focal lengths greater than 200~250. It just isn't sharp, and the players will look fuzzy. Now maybe I don't have a great copy, but perhaps you might give it a try before the game (maybe just take some street photos of a crowd to approximate the situation).
Most of my squirrel photos are taken with the 55-300mm PLM - mostly at the long end - and I have have been totally satisfied with its sharpness. The few fuzzy photos or areas have been a result of my not nailing focus for whatever reason {such as focusing on branch in front of the animal}
03-30-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I left my reading glasses in the car, making impossible to read menu etc
Been there, done that. In a pinch, you can use your cell phone camera to enlarge print enough to decipher it.
04-01-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
for anyone interested more photos posted here:

Opening Day at the" K " - K 3 + D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 or DA* 300mm F4 - PentaxForums.com

and at my flickr.com account

Opening Day at the K | Flickr