Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my mind this is easy. If only one lens, bring the 70-200 with some form of rain cover.

03-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check the ball park rules on cameras! And, what size bag you can take in (it may also have to be transparent).

I think baseball is less concerned, but most pro football events won't let you in with a "pro" lens - usually defined by some physical length limit. However, they don't know about the telephoto capability of the Q-series with the k-mount adapter!!!
03-26-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
If it is not a paid gig, I would never risk my expensive gear. -- - -
Paid gig, never had one

Don't ever expect to have one

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Check the ball park rules on cameras! And, what size bag you can take in (it may also have to be transparent).

I think baseball is less concerned, but most pro football events won't let you in with a "pro" lens - usually defined by some physical length limit. However, they don't know about the telephoto capability of the Q-series with the k-mount adapter!!!
12 inch lens maximum

NFL stadium clear bag is what I use and it is acceptable

"Bags

Bags that exceed a maximum size of 16x16x8 and hard-sided coolers are not allowed into the stadium. "

" Cameras/Video Equipment
Still and hand-held video cameras are welcome into the stadium, but tripods cannot be set up or block the view of other guests. Monopods are permitted into the ballpark. Camera lenses 12 inches or smaller are permitted into the ballpark. Flash photography and video production is strictly prohibited. "

https://www.mlb.com/royals/ballpark/information/guide#c-content

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-27-2019 at 03:29 AM.
03-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used my 55-300 plm in heavy rain. Didn't get water inside but did get humid air inside it which caused fungus. If you do use it I would later pump the zoom in dry air to get the humidity out. Not sure if it will work but my best guess.

03-26-2019, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to throw cold water on your day, but Opening Day is an event to be savored and enjoyed. Leave the camera (and the worries) at home and immerse yourself in the pageantry and be part of the crowd.

Get tickets to a rivalry game later in the season and do your shooting then.

Just sayin’
03-26-2019, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not to throw cold water on your day, but Opening Day is an event to be savored and enjoyed. Leave the camera (and the worries) at home and immerse yourself in the pageantry and be part of the crowd.

Get tickets to a rivalry game later in the season and do your shooting then.

Just sayin’
no big rivalry game this year because of African trip

will see Cubs vs. Rockies in June

but no Cubs vs. Cardinals in budget
03-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #22

Many professional stadiums will not let you bring in a long lens like your 300mm or your 70-200 that look like professional equipment unless you are a pro with a pass. Go with your 16-85 and 55-300 PLM. This link below is to photos I took last year at Citi Field with a Panasonic MFT and Panasonic lens equivalent to those two Pentax lenses. I did not bring my Pentax gear because of the size issue. If it rains to hard just cover yourself up and try to have some fun staying dry.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/dmshafer/ei92z6

03-26-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote
Many professional stadiums will not let you bring in a long lens like your 300mm or your 70-200 . . .
based on personal experience, no problem with the DFA * 70-200mm at Kauffman, Wrigley or Busch Stadiums

same rules now as then lens must be 12 inch or less as I said in post # 18:

" Cameras/Video Equipment

Still and hand-held video cameras are welcome into the stadium, but tripods cannot be set up or block the view of other guests. Monopods are permitted into the ballpark. Camera lenses 12 inches or smaller are permitted into the ballpark. Flash photography and video production is strictly prohibited. "

https://www.mlb.com/royals/ballpark/information/guide#c-content

Diam x Length
83 x 184 mm ( 3.3 x 7.2 in. )

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Diam x Length
91.5 x 203 mm (3.6 x 8 in.)

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

the way I do it -

never take the lens in mounted with the camera, that makes it look physically bigger
bring your own small tape measure
if you are within the rules, demand to talk to the supervisor, there will be one.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-27-2019 at 03:50 AM.
03-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
. . . Opening Day is an event to be savored and enjoyed.. . . Just sayin’
According to the Kansas City Star

the awarding of two Gold Gloves to Perez and Gordon and a fly over by a B 2 bomber from Whitman AFB are the big highlights

the first will happen somewhere in the Stadium

the other ????

first do you risk such a valuable asset and its crew in bad weather flying low over a populated area

second was this report ever true, and if so, is it true now ?

The $2 Billion Stealth Bomber Can't Go Out in the Rain
By TIM WEINERAUG. 23, 1997

Two years ago, the problem with the Air Force's B-2 Stealth bombers, which cost $2 billion apiece, was that their radar could not tell a rain cloud from a mountainside.
Now the problem is that the B-2 cannot go out in the rain.

The investigative arm of Congress reported this week that the B-2, the world's most expensive aircraft, deteriorates in rain, heat and humidity. It ''must be sheltered or exposed only to the most benign environments -- low humidity, no precipitation, moderate temperatures,'' said the report by the General Accounting Office. . . . The $2 Billion Stealth Bomber Can't Go Out in the Rain - The New York Times

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-27-2019 at 05:49 AM.
03-28-2019, 03:48 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
wish me luck

camera and lenses will get to the ball park

whether they get out of the car,

well that will be a game time decision

the rain gear definitely will get out of the car
03-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Easy choice. DA*300 and DFA*70-200 on the K-3 II
Enjoy.
03-28-2019, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Easy choice. DA*300 and DFA*70-200 on the K-3 II
Enjoy.
that is my thought but thinking of adding the DA 15 Limited ( used only if there is a dry period ) for wide angle

and K 3 not K 3 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2019 at 05:53 AM.
03-28-2019, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have never been to a MLB opening game but I have been to MLB games, sometimes I kept score on home made score cards, some times I take photos, [ some have been posted here ]

seat is just into the outfield area down third base line with the infield to my right, Sec 115 Row U four rows down from top of section

should be beyond the protective netting, giving me clear view of 1st, 2nd and 3rd, along with pitcher, home plate probably through the netting

however the longer the focal length, the less area covered at the targeted bases.

you folks are all correct, any use is a danger, final decision is mine and nothing is water proof.

cannot reenter stadium so I could keep stuff safe in car but if I choose to take in only protection is the plastic carrying bag and outside plastic bagging.

are zooms more likely to have problems than a prime ?

how dangerous would it be to change lens inside a plastic garbage bag by feel ?

maybe the best thing is the Canon Powershot A1100 IS or Nikon coolpix p610
Given seat locator probably minimum 30 meters from the third baseman, so if he is 2 meters tall he will be 20cm high on sensor using the 300. This is just beyond filling the horizontal format of a cropped sensor, but since the fielders are usually crouched, diving or bent over to make a tag, they still might fit. All other bases will be just fine.

Always think about the following

Image size = subject size X focal length / distance. The 300 will be the only lens that will get a great action shot,
03-28-2019, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
got to stadium prior to 12:15 went straight to gate

no problem getting gear in

gate opened at 1, first in line, got into Rivals' Sports bar in the right field corner where there were about 8 tables available to stand at.

I grabbed a spot nearest the field. I was not at spot closest to the field, they now sell those seats.

the rain was just starting

Game was to start at 3, delayed until 5 because of rain,

from the Kansas City Star:

" The game began after a delay, as a heavy rain deluge fell on Kauffman Stadium. The field remained covered until approximately 4:15 p.m. for what had been scheduled for a 3:15 p.m. first pitch. The delay lasted a grand total of 1 hour, 46 minutes leading into a 1-2-3 first inning for Royals starting pitcher Brad Keller, who pitched seven scoreless innings. . . . "

Read more here: Royals, Brad Keller triumph over White Sox in rainy opener | The Kansas City Star

I stayed there under cover using 300mm, wishing that I had brought a monopod.

during 5th inning I moved to my seat located down the third base line and took photos from there using 300mm and 70-200mm zoom

got nicked in back of neck when kid in front of me tipped a hot foul liner which would have passed to my left as I ducked down right to protect camera and lens.
his action did redirect the ball causing the contact but took 90% of the force off of the ball.

I saw it coming off the bat so I wasn't trying to photograph the play at the time, just protect the gear and myself

was using multiple shutter burst a lot of the time.

5th inning no rain until 8th inn so lens and camera was not exposed to bad weather.

moved up to covered spot when light rain started

got home after 10 PM

best things that happened today: Cubs won 12 - 4 over the Rangers, Cardinals lost and the Royals beat the White Sox and none of my gear was damaged

here is a few for tonight from my seat, all cropped and some pp done
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-30-2019 at 08:35 AM.
03-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The DFA 100MM f2.8 macro is also WR...