Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Setting up my KP

Hello folks,
I have a new KP, and want to know how to let the camera determine the ISO. I want to be able to set the shutter speed and aperture, and let the camera set the iso. What mode do I use?
Thank you very much,
Terry

03-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #2

TAv on the mode dial.
03-31-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello folks,
I have a new KP, and want to know how to let the camera determine the ISO. I want to be able to set the shutter speed and aperture, and let the camera set the iso. What mode do I use?
Thank you very much,
Terry
TAv mode. Check your settings for Maximum AUTO ISO as well. If you set this too low you may get underexposed shots
03-31-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax KP Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

03-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Éire69 Quote
TAv on the mode dial.
Thank you very much.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
TAv mode. Check your settings for Maximum AUTO ISO as well. If you set this too low you may get underexposed shots
Thank you very much, Peter.
Regards,
Terry

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 07:52 AM ----------

Thank you very much.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 07:55 AM ----------

BTW Peter, what maximum iso do you recommend on my KP.
Terry
03-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW Peter, what maximum iso do you recommend on my KP.
I will let someone with a KP answer that for you, but the trade off will be capturing the shot with correct exposure at the expense of some noise. Noise can be removed or mitigated in PP.
03-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will let someone with a KP answer that for you, but the trade off will be capturing the shot with correct exposure at the expense of some noise. Noise can be removed or mitigated in PP.
Peter,
The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be shooting my Son's track and field events with my KP and DA 200. I want to be able to stop in down to f/8 or f/11 and shoot at high shutter speeds. I'm not used to shooting sports or fast moving action. It's going to be a learning curve for me, but I really want some good shots. He will be running straight towards my, and past me. It's going to be a challenge for sure.
Terry

03-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what maximum iso do you recommend on my KP.
Terry
I've set my limit at 12800 - based on various photos I've taken.

You should be aware that each step up in ISO increases noise, reduces Dynamic Range, and reduces Color Depth.

My recommendation is that you take several photos of the same scene in fairly dim light - increasing ISO for each one - and then evaluate them according to your standards.
03-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peter,
The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be shooting my Son's track and field events with my KP and DA 200. I want to be able to stop in down to f/8 or f/11 and shoot at high shutter speeds. I'm not used to shooting sports or fast moving action. It's going to be a learning curve for me, but I really want some good shots. He will be running straight towards my, and past me. It's going to be a challenge for sure.
Terry
This is exactly where TAv mode excels. I use this mode when shooting my dogs running in the garden. I would try and use f8 as the smallest aperture rather than f11. I know its only one stop but will help to isolate your son more and give you an extra stop of less noise. Focus will be critical so expect a lot of wasted shots.

I suggest you practice beforehand if you can.

But this kind of picture is better captured with enough DOF for the subject and a suitable shutter speed to create a clear image. Allowing a bit of noise into the equation is seconadary, and can be dealt with in PP.

Don't be afraid to try a different approach too with a slower shutter speed to deliberately create a blurred image which gives the impression of speed. Can be very effective too, and often better than a "frozen" subject.
03-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've set my limit at 12800 - based on various photos I've taken.

You should be aware that each step up in ISO increases noise, reduces Dynamic Range, and reduces Color Depth.

My recommendation is that you take several photos of the same scene in fairly dim light - increasing ISO for each one - and then evaluate them according to your standards.
Thank you very much.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 11:00 AM ----------

This is exactly where TAv mode excels. I use this mode when shooting my dogs running in the garden. I would try and use f8 as the smallest aperture rather than f11. I know its only one stop but will help to isolate your son more and give you an extra stop of less noise. Focus will be critical so expect a lot of wasted shots.

I suggest you practice beforehand if you can.

But this kind of picture is better captured with enough DOF for the subject and a suitable shutter speed to create a clear image. Allowing a bit of noise into the equation is seconadary, and can be dealt with in PP.

Don't be afraid to try a different approach too with a slower shutter speed to deliberately create a blurred image which gives the impression of speed. Can be very effective too, and often better than a "frozen" subject.
Thank you, Peter. That is very helpful. I do plan to practice. That will probably answer a lot of these questions. I plan to use back button focus on a particular spot, and when he get's there, shoot with continuous 7 shots per second. Which I've never used.
Terry
03-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terry: Do test shots on events when your son isn’t rununing. Adjust your AF to SPOT, not single point.
Shoot at the chest for torso shots, and waistline of the shorts for full body shots if the FoV permits.

In TAv, start with f8 and 6400 Max ISO. Put the third wheel controller on ISO if you want to set ISO manually and shoot in Tv and adjust ISO yourself using the third wheel. Try some shots at f/5.6 for a soft background to isolate your son.

In TAv it is likely the camera will always bump up to Max ISO, so if your shutter speed is 1/1000 or higher at f/8 and 6400 ISO try lowering ISO to 3200 Max ISO using the 4-Way pad. 1/500 should freeze motion If not use 1/1000. Chimp the test exposures and adjust accordingly. When it is good, leave everything alone until the light changes.

Be aware that if the camera goes to sleep some setting may change to defaults when it wakes up so check the ISO and shutter speed in your viewfinder periodically.

If necessary use Exposure Compensation but be aware of the shutter speed if you do.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-31-2019 at 11:48 AM.
03-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Paul,
That is extremely helpful! Does 6400 introduce noise? I'm just not used to these high iso settings. Can I just set it at the highest iso without introducing noise and leave it? All i want to use is whatever will handle my shutter speed and aperture. Is 1/1000 and f/8 your suggested settings? Would tav still be the best mode if I want to set the iso myself? Thank you so much.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 12:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Terry: Do test shots on events when your son isn’t rununing. Adjust your AF to SPOT, not single point.
Shoot at the chest for torso shots, and waistline of the shorts for full body shots if the FoV permits.

In TAv, start with f8 and 6400 Max ISO. Put the third wheel controller on ISO if you want to set ISO manually and shoot in Tv and adjust ISO yourself using the third wheel. Try some shots at f/5.6 for a soft background to isolate your son.

In TAv it is likely the camera will always bump up to Max ISO, so if your shutter speed is 1/1000 or higher at f/8 and 6400 ISO try lowering ISO to 3200 Max ISO using the 4-Way pad. 1/500 should freeze motion If not use 1/1000. Chimp the test exposures and adjust accordingly. When it is good, leave everything alone until the light changes.

Be aware that if the camera goes to sleep some setting may change to defaults when it wakes up so check the ISO and shutter speed in your viewfinder periodically.

If necessary use Exposure Compensation but be aware of the shutter speed if you do.
That is extremely helpful, Paul.
Thank you,
Terry
03-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I use TAv mode to shoot wildlife. Often I use 1/500 at f/8, but my ISO hardly ever exceeds 3200 - it reaches 4400 late on a cloudy day - my limit usually is 12800.
03-31-2019, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Paul,
That is extremely helpful! Does 6400 introduce noise? I'm just not used to these high iso settings. Can I just set it at the highest iso without introducing noise and leave it? All i want to use is whatever will handle my shutter speed and aperture. Is 1/1000 and f/8 your suggested settings? Would tav still be the best mode if I want to set the iso myself? Thank you so much.
Terry
In TAv you choose the maximum ISO and camera adjusts it when you change the aperture or shutter speed using the edials. If you shoot fixed ISO in Tv or Av the camera adjusts the alternate setting to what you changed. Your primary concern should be shutter speed since you want to freeze motion; you also want enough DoF so your subject is sharp throughout the depth of the body. Use a DoF calculator to get a sense of what DoF will be at various settings using a 200mm lens at the distance you will shoot from (it will be deeper than you think).

On the KP - since it has the Accelerator Chip - at 6400 ISO (IMO) noise is not offensive. 3200 is completely clean. I gain a clean stop with my KP versus K-1.You might start at 3200 MAX ISO in TAv and see what shutter speed the camera gives you at f/8. Again, I recommend doing test shots and deciding what the light allows you to do with shutter speed at your desired aperture..
03-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For track 1/500 should do.