Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ki Mark ii and 128gb memory card problem

New K1 Mark ii and no problems until yesterday.

Using a 128gb memory card, ScanDisk Extreme, V30, xc1

Shooting away, everything going well and then camera shuts off, power off on, nothing, pull batteries from camera and grip, reinstall, power on still dead.

Pull the memory card, powers up. Put in a different card, powers up and no problem. Put back in 128gb card and back to acting dead.

Card had pixs, transferred to computer via card slot. Deleted everything on card, put back in camera, formatted and everything seemed fine.

Day two same problem..... shooting, going along fine and back to dead camera until card is removed.

Other than a bad card any one experience anything like this?

Going to dump the card only thing that makes any sense.

Thanks for any comments.

dave

03-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It shuts off while writing to the card in the camera right? On day two, the card had been formatted by the camera and it hadn't been inserted into anything else between then and the camera shutting off?

I'd have to guess bad card. You could try the suspect card in another camera or run a diagnostic utility against it on your computer. You could upgrade firmware on your camera to the latest if it isn't already.
03-31-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote
New K1 Mark ii and no problems until yesterday.

Using a 128gb memory card, ScanDisk Extreme, V30, xc1

Shooting away, everything going well and then camera shuts off, power off on, nothing, pull batteries from camera and grip, reinstall, power on still dead.

Pull the memory card, powers up. Put in a different card, powers up and no problem. Put back in 128gb card and back to acting dead.

Card had pixs, transferred to computer via card slot. Deleted everything on card, put back in camera, formatted and everything seemed fine.

Day two same problem..... shooting, going along fine and back to dead camera until card is removed.

Other than a bad card any one experience anything like this?

Going to dump the card only thing that makes any sense.

Thanks for any comments.

dave
H Dave - out of curiosity, was this an official SanDisk card bought from a proper and reputable dealer? There are so many SanDisk fakes floating around, even reaching some of the smaller retailers... on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, one might reasonably assume the majority to be fake...
03-31-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, one might reasonably assume the majority to be fake...
I have to agree. The only "SanDisk" card I bought on Ebay was a fake.

03-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Be aware if the FAT format is only 32 G

How to Format 128GB USB Flash Drive to FAT32 - EaseUS
03-31-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There are sometimes file system issues reported with large SD cards.

Usually everything up to 32GB is formatted as FAT32 filesystem, and all is well. But cards beyond 32GB sometimes will be formatted differently - exFAT (or NTFS ) rather than FAT32.

Maybe there is a file system incompatibility between the way the card is storing data, and how the camera firmware wants to read/write data.

Was the 128GB card formatted in-camera before use? Is the most up-to-date firmware (V1.03) being used?
03-31-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ki Mark ii and 128gb memory card problem
The answer is in the titlle. I've had a number of Sandisk cards, and one of them happened to cause make my K3 randomly crash when checking images, which never happened with my K5, so I gave it free with the K5 when I sold it, and that's how I got into transcend memory cards, never had a single issue with a Transcend card, they tend to have slower writen speeds however. => Change SD card => problem solved.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-31-2019 at 11:38 PM.
04-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am at 1.03 firmware on the K1 Mark ii so that should not be an issue. Card always formatted in camera whenever removed and reinserted. This I figured to avoid any problems.

Yes both came from Amazon.it The 128gb was one of the deals of the day.

Well it works using on the laptop so I will go back to using my old standard 32gb cards. Write speed is not an issue as I don't need blinding speed in that area.

Thanks for all the comments.
04-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not K1m2 but I run SanDisk 128gb cards in my K-1 and have put 1100 photos in a day on without problem.
04-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not K1m2 but I run SanDisk 128gb cards in my K-1 and have put 1100 photos in a day on without problem.
Device defect undetected by QC. Ask for refund / exchange.
04-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am at 1.03 firmware on the K1 Mark ii so that should not be an issue. Card always formatted in camera whenever removed and reinserted. This I figured to avoid any problems.

Yes both came from Amazon.it The 128gb was one of the deals of the day.

Well it works using on the laptop so I will go back to using my old standard 32gb cards. Write speed is not an issue as I don't need blinding speed in that area.

Thanks for all the comments.

For future reference, 128GB cards should be fine in your camera so I wouldn't worry about purchasing 128GB next time. I have 128GB "Lexar Professional 1000x" on my K1 without issue. I'd still try to exchange the cards if it's within the return period. Some devices have better error handling than others or better compatibility so it gets tough to conclusively prove what is or is not causing the problem. If either the camera or card is within the warranty period, it might be worthwhile troubleshooting because worst case scenario, you wouldn't want to be stuck with a faulty expensive camera. It probably isn't that from what you describe though. Good luck and happy shooting.
04-01-2019, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
scottDee....

I am sure once a 'good' 128gb card would work fine. Not in a rush as I have about 20 32gb cards in my bag.

I inserted it into the K3, formatted it, fired off about 25 shots and bingo...... I got it to do the exact same thing as in the K1.

Going back to swapping out cards after a 4 hour period of shooting. Am used to doing that just in the event something goes wrong and I don't lose an entire day of shooting. Living in Rome it is easy to fire off a ton of shots just wandering around the historic center we call home.
04-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

scottDee....

I am sure once a 'good' 128gb card would work fine. Not in a rush as I have about 20 32gb cards in my bag.

I inserted it into the K3, formatted it, fired off about 25 shots and bingo...... I got it to do the exact same thing as in the K1.

Going back to swapping out cards after a 4 hour period of shooting. Am used to doing that just in the event something goes wrong and I don't lose an entire day of shooting. Living in Rome it is easy to fire off a ton of shots just wandering around the historic center we call home.
Great comments!

My favorite sized card is 64gb. Like you have found, on occasion, an intense day of shooting will occasionally fill up a 32gb card; while I've never filled up a 64gb card in one day of my type of shooting. I don't care to go larger than 64, because I don't want to "put all of my eggs in one basket". I'm worried that if a giant 128/256 card failed, I'd loose too many shots; while using many smaller sized cards instead of one giant one offers a bit of insurance against the giant sized SD card failing (getting lost, going through the clothes dryer, etc.).
04-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Great comments!

My favorite sized card is 64gb. Like you have found, on occasion, an intense day of shooting will occasionally fill up a 32gb card; while I've never filled up a 64gb card in one day of my type of shooting. I don't care to go larger than 64, because I don't want to "put all of my eggs in one basket". I'm worried that if a giant 128/256 card failed, I'd loose too many shots; while using many smaller sized cards instead of one giant one offers a bit of insurance against the giant sized SD card failing (getting lost, going through the clothes dryer, etc.).
I bought 2 128gb cards for all day (12 hour) events I shoot that are 2.5 days long. 2950 images later......

But I hear you about all your eggs in one basket. That's why I shoot RAW+ (128gb - RAW & 64gb - JPG).
04-01-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is a holdover from my years working for newspapers and newspaper chains.

In days gone by it was a standing rule if you had three assignments, you started each one with a fresh roll of film. Not a big deal as we loaded from a bulk loader and carried 10, 15 and 20 shots per can. When everything moved to digital the rule stayed in place only now you used a new memory card on each new assignment.

It was a great idea and saved you from losing a bunch of work if something went wrong. It was a locked in stone rule. If you did not follow it and lost a whole day worth of shots you either got some of the worst assignments (like being on the photo desk from midnight to 8am) or you were looking for a new place to hang your hat.

With the bigger cards I figured why not, simple, less to think about having with me. Now going back to what never failed in the past. Plus I only shoot raw and at least with two card slots and a spare in the grip I am good to go for most of the day.

Might sound old school but there have been a couple of times it has saved the day being out shooting.