Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Strong fringin - SMC Da 55-300 ED

Hello there, looking for help.

I bought a used smc DA 55-300 ED recently for my K-5. What I see in every single picture I take is strong purple/green fringes around highlights and twigs, branches and such. Sometimes I can get rid of the fringing in processing the photos but often I have to give up as the fringing is to strong to be removed completely.

To demonstrate here are two 100% crops. The frog is from the dead center of the image, the twig scene showing the left lower corner. I did not process the photos in any way, only opened the PEFs in Rawtherapee with the neutral profil and saved as jpgs.

Now I hope you guys can tell me if this is normal for this lens or if I might have bought a bad copy.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Simon K; 04-01-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention focal lenght of the samples. both at 300mm f/8
04-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are using RawTherapee, you should try enabling Defringe option on the second tab, Detail. Shortcut for Detail tab is Alt+D on Windows
This usually helps me with fringing with my Fisheye 10-17 and FA 50 1.4

Also, you can try to auto-match the lens profile on the lens correction tab. This also works for my Fisheye. This is on the Transform tab, shortcut is Alt+t.
Below Crop and Resize sections, you'll see Lens / Geometry section, the Profiled Lens Correction. Just try using Auto-matched correction parameters.
04-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
I know this option ZeljkoS and I use it, still the fringing often is too strong to be removed without desaturating other portions of the image. I postet the two examples for a reason, to learn if my copy of the lens is bad or if all copies of the smc DA 55-300 ED have such strong fringing. Thank you.
04-01-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I see... I don't have that lens, so hopefully someone who has it will respond. Perhaps you could post a link here to download the PEF file where the fringing is impossible to remove

04-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much I love my 55-300 DAL it has limitations, especially at 300mm so I would say it is normal.
04-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
Now I hope you guys can tell me if this is normal for this lens or if I might have bought a bad copy.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Occasional PF under expected conditions was noted in the detailed review on this site and also in a few of the user reviews. Whether your lens is more prone is difficult to say, though the DA 55-300 is a popular lens on this site and if terrible PF were characteristic of the lens, I'm sure it would have gotten a reputation for such. The sample photograph thread for your lens might prove helpful.

Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED samples - PentaxForums.com

If a problem with the lens, there will likely be other issues of softness, contrast, and AF performance as well.

Steve
04-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
As much I love my 55-300 DAL it has limitations, especially at 300mm so I would say it is normal.
Thank you for your estimation, sergysergy. I'm a bit in a conflict with the lense. I like it for its range and how compact it is, but it gives me some extra work in processing, sometimes even without a usable result.
04-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned and shot the smc-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED for many years, since 2011, I think.

From what I can tell, my copy is well within the range of what can be expected from that lens and for the money. It is a capable contrast-and-colours consumer telephoto zoom, and a solid performer in its class. It is not a hypercorrected high-end lens. It does show some residual purple fringing, particularly towards the long end, but nothing that has ever bothered me seriously, given that it is removed near-100 percent with a few clicks in raw converters like DxO PhotoLab or Adobe Lightroom (which I used earlier). I should add perhaps that PhotoLab confidently removes most of the purple fringing I have seen in any of my Pentax lenses, and this includes even the occasional PF "atrocities" produced by the Fish-eye DA10-17.

The links lead you to a number of high-contrast shots taken at Lake Garda with the DA55-300 at 300mm, between F8 and F10. Feel free to pixel-peep the water highlights, the white plumage and battlement edges, where before applying PhotoLab's lens-specific corrections I recall pretty obvious fringing which is virtually gone:

https://needacreate.smugmug.com/Lake-Garda-Venice-the-Veneto/i-RrqJwKv/A
Lake Garda, Venice & the Veneto - Marc

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-01-2019 at 12:09 PM.
04-01-2019, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Occasional PF under expected conditions was noted in the detailed review on this site and also in a few of the user reviews. Whether your lens is more prone is difficult to say, though the DA 55-300 is a popular lens on this site and if terrible PF were characteristic of the lens, I'm sure it would have gotten a reputation for such. The sample photograph thread for your lens might prove helpful.

Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED samples - PentaxForums.com

If a problem with the lens, there will likely be other issues of softness, contrast, and AF performance as well.

Steve

Thank you for showing me the sample thread, Steve. It's a bit hard to tell, as most of the pictures shown are scaled down, but from what I can see there might be an issue with my copy.

---------- Post added 04-01-19 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I've owned and shot the smc-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED for many years, since 2011, I think.

From what I can tell, my copy is well within the range of what can be expected from that lens and for the money. It is a capable contrast-and-colours consumer telephoto zoom, and a solid performer in its class. It is not a hypercorrected high-end lens. It does show some residual purple fringing, particularly towards the long end, but nothing that has ever bothered me seriously, given that it is removed near-100 percent with a few clicks in raw converters like DxO PhotoLab or Adobe Lightroom (which I used earlier). I should add perhaps that PhotoLab confidently removes most of the purple fringing I have seen in any of my Pentax lenses, and this includes even the occasional PF "atrocities" produced by the Fish-eye DA10-17.

The links lead you to a number of high-contrast shots taken at Lake Garda with the DA55-300 at 300mm, between F8 and F10. Feel free to pixel-peep the water highlights, the white plumage and battlement edges, where before applying PhotoLab's lens-specific corrections I recall pretty obvious fringing which is virtually gone:

The pictures look pretty clean from PF, so you obviously found a way to deal with, Madaboutpix. The pictures, especially the gull shots for my taste, are very nice indeed.
04-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #10

I have the lens on a K5 and while I do get fringing sometimes, its not often enough to consider it a big problem. I just took a few shots with it at tree branches like the ones you showed and they were all fine. I took them when there was some cloud cover so not major contrast and again with very strong back light, just so the sun was outside but at the edge of the frame. Out of quite a few shots there was one that had noteable fringing. I have noticed that fringing seems to show up more when the object like the tree branches is a long distance from the focal point.

Hope this helps
Garry
04-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is a problem depending on your type of shooting, if your photographing birds and such then it would obviously be more of a problem in these high contrast situations. Do your best to avoid the situation and fix what you can. I often encounter a red fringing along with purple and green but i can fix them enough to be satisfactory most of the time, it is a consumer grade lens and i think it does a decent job for a lens in this category.
04-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Garry Conway Quote
I have the lens on a K5 and while I do get fringing sometimes, its not often enough to consider it a big problem. I just took a few shots with it at tree branches like the ones you showed and they were all fine. I took them when there was some cloud cover so not major contrast and again with very strong back light, just so the sun was outside but at the edge of the frame. Out of quite a few shots there was one that had noteable fringing. I have noticed that fringing seems to show up more when the object like the tree branches is a long distance from the focal point.

Hope this helps
Garry
Thank you for sharing your observations Garry. My copy of the lens shows fringing close to the focal point too

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 02:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
It is a problem depending on your type of shooting, if your photographing birds and such then it would obviously be more of a problem in these high contrast situations. Do your best to avoid the situation and fix what you can. I often encounter a red fringing along with purple and green but i can fix them enough to be satisfactory most of the time, it is a consumer grade lens and i think it does a decent job for a lens in this category.
Thank you for the description of the fringing behaviour of your copy and your advice abschriver11, though I did buy the lens to have a longer reach for bird photographie and wildlife in general.