Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Exakta to M42 conversion

I would like to convert a lens from exakta to M42 mount. I am aware that exakta register distance is shorter, so I won't get infinity focus. Also, the lens is valuable, so I don't want to shave off the mount.

I just want to glue the m39 ring over the exakta mount and wonder which glue I should use. I would like the conversion to be both secure and reversible. Is epoxy something I should use?

04-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've done it. Plain superglue (cyanoacrylate) works fine for metal on metal (gel type might be easier to apply and set up), and can be dissolved with acetone (nail polish remover). (Keep acetone away from plastic.) Some people worry about fogging the lens with glue fumes, but it won't as long as you are careful and do it in a well-ventilated area (it dries in minutes, but you should leave it in open air for a good while to really cure). Epoxy would be more permanent I think.
04-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've done it. Plain superglue (cyanoacrylate) works fine for metal on metal (gel type might be easier to apply and set up), and can be dissolved with acetone (nail polish remover). (Keep acetone away from plastic.) Some people worry about fogging the lens with glue fumes, but it won't as long as you are careful and do it in a well-ventilated area (it dries in minutes, but you should leave it in open air for a good while to really cure). Epoxy would be more permanent I think.
OK, thanks! So did you glue the m39 ring directly to the mount base, or did you put something in between, like tape?
04-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ANNOUNCING: Easy cheap non-destructive Exakta-Pentax adapter

04-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be careful thenvapors can attackmlens coatings

I had this issue remounting a loose prism in a pair of binoculars
04-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks! I tried using Elmer's glue-all, but the lens is hefty, probably at least 500 gr, so that glue wasn't strong enough... The M39 ring came off pretty easily, which I would want to avoid.

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Be careful thenvapors can attackmlens coatings

I had this issue remounting a loose prism in a pair of binoculars
thanks, I guess doing it under the kitchen fan should help?
04-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, you wouldn't want to use superglue internally unless all the glass was out and it had a long time to cure, but around the mount, I would cover up the glass with something so you don't accidentally touch it and then just yeah, keep the air flowing, let it dry overnight, it will be fine. I haven't glued rings like this a lot, but I have used superglue probably a dozen times to glue down aperture pins on the mounts of m42 lenses that didn't have a switch where I didn't want to take it apart to modify it. Never had a problem with the vapors hurting the glass.

04-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, you wouldn't want to use superglue internally unless all the glass was out and it had a long time to cure, but around the mount, I would cover up the glass with something so you don't accidentally touch it and then just yeah, keep the air flowing, let it dry overnight, it will be fine. I haven't glued rings like this a lot, but I have used superglue probably a dozen times to glue down aperture pins on the mounts of m42 lenses that didn't have a switch where I didn't want to take it apart to modify it. Never had a problem with the vapors hurting the glass.
Well, I glued the adapter last night. We'll see how it works...

By the way, I came across an Exakta to M42 adapter on Amazon. Works basically the same way - just a ring with 3 screws. It doesn't say anything about infinity focus, but I assume there won't be infinity focus with this set up... Delivery was from China and would take up to 2 months, so I went for the glue instead.
04-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You just have to love Rio Rico! His approach will work and the only notes of caution might be the intrusion of the Exakta bayonet into the mirror box and interference of the aperture stop-down extension (found on most Exakta-mount lenses) with both installation of the adapter and mounting to the camera.

The matter of the stop-down mechanism is rather complicated to explain. It is probably enough to say that the position of the extension must be accounted for when cementing the M39 thread in place and that even if properly offset, it may have a boss on the underside that will not clear the mount face on a K-mount body. Because of this, most adapter solutions are limited to manual and pre-set aperture Exakta lenses.

Steve

(...would very much like to flex my Exakta lenses to my Pentax bodies...)
04-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
By the way, I came across an Exakta to M42 adapter on Amazon. Works basically the same way - just a ring with 3 screws. It doesn't say anything about infinity focus, but I assume there won't be infinity focus with this set up... Delivery was from China and would take up to 2 months, so I went for the glue instead.
The grub-screw eBay adapter is sort of hokey in that it is designed for the grub screws to wedge under the Exakta mount tangs to hold the adapter in place. I would not use it with a lens having any value.

Steve
04-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...Another quick note. M42 adapted Exakta/Topcon lenses will not work on M42 bodies having the aperture actuator "flipper". The lens intrudes too deeply to clear the flipper such that the flipper/mirror/shutter sequence is interrupted leaving the camera in an indeterminant state.

Steve
04-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The grub-screw eBay adapter is sort of hokey in that it is designed for the grub screws to wedge under the Exakta mount tangs to hold the adapter in place. I would not use it with a lens having any value.

Steve
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to get one...